Showus ya Vegie garden

Anything else NON- BBQ
titch

Re: Showus ya Vegie garden

Post by titch »

First crop of French purple garlic, smells fantastic.

Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
titch

Post by titch »

First new season spuds.
Cheers
Titch
chiefcook51

Post by chiefcook51 »

Great gardens everyone !!! For slugs & snails, try putting copper wire around veg.boxes. When I looked into snail farming,cos I have

millions of them, to keep them in enclosures,copper wire was recommended by commercial snail farmers... Apparently it works. :)

I havent tried it yet around fruit trees,where the snails are eating the fruit as soon as it forms this year...the old Carpal tunnel prob.

has prevented me, & since the op 3 weeks ago, the doc has warned me to lay off all usual work I do. So am quite envious when I

see all your vegie pics...well done :)
jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 »

How does the purple garlic compare to the white titch???
Nice looken spuds also :mrgreen:
titch

Post by titch »

jdonly1 wrote:How does the purple garlic compare to the white titch???
Nice looken spuds also :mrgreen:
genuinely cannot tell the difference.

Chief I have read about the copper before,minute voltage fries them.
Electric fence around my chook pen gets them all the time. 25mm of the timber.;
Cheers,
Titch
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Found this on the net:

The Snail and Slug Barrier protects your potted plants and trees from harmful snails and slugs. It is thought that the natural secretions of the snail or slug react with the copper causing a small current of electricity to be conducted from the mesh to the snail. This small shock delivered to the unwanted mollusk acts as a deterrent to additional progress or return visits.

The product is a copper fly wire tape, looks interesting.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chiefcook51

Post by chiefcook51 »

Chris & Titch, I knew the copper created a current that stopped the snails & have been collecting el.wire to strip & put around

base of fruit trees. If I could buy it cheaply enough,it would save time & a lot of mucking around. Call me selfish, but I dont like

sharing organic produce with snails/slugs.So I seriously looked into actually farming them,lol, let them earn their keep. Distance

from Melb. was my problem...so I got ducks instead...they kept the snail numbers down, but now we`ve got the foxes to contend

with during daylight hours,I cant even let the poor things out to free range !! Ho Hum...always something....but it sure breaks ur

heart picking up mauled birds at 2 in the arvo & the fox has the cheek to poke its head up about 3 metres away :(
titch

Post by titch »

chiefcook51 wrote:Chris & Titch, I knew the copper created a current that stopped the snails & have been collecting el.wire to strip & put around

base of fruit trees. If I could buy it cheaply enough,it would save time & a lot of mucking around. Call me selfish, but I dont like

sharing organic produce with snails/slugs.So I seriously looked into actually farming them,lol, let them earn their keep. Distance

from Melb. was my problem...so I got ducks instead...they kept the snail numbers down, but now we`ve got the foxes to contend

with during daylight hours,I cant even let the poor things out to free range !! Ho Hum...always something....but it sure breaks ur

heart picking up mauled birds at 2 in the arvo & the fox has the cheek to poke its head up about 3 metres away :(

Couple of geese should keep the foxes away.( ignore this unless you get about 30 of them )
Snails ,use fire ash they hate it,
or sit and squirt with a water pistol ,with either a salt mix or Vinegar and you can fufill your childhod cops and robbers fantasys
Titch
Last edited by titch on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Titch
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

Envious of you guys with your huge backyards. I am stuck in a tiny plot of land in inner suburbia and am reduced to growing my veggies and herbs in pots! I was proud of my tomatoes until I saw what you guys are growing. Maybe I should sell up and buy a nice large block a few dozen km's out ...
Image Image Image
cowgirl

Post by cowgirl »

Great looking gardens!!
jeanie
titch

Post by titch »

Amfibius wrote:Envious of you guys with your huge backyards. I am stuck in a tiny plot of land in inner suburbia and am reduced to growing my veggies and herbs in pots! I was proud of my tomatoes until I saw what you guys are growing. Maybe I should sell up and buy a nice large block a few dozen km's out ...

My backyard is on 600 mtrs with a 10 sqr house ,so not large at all.
Cheers mate.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 »

My back yard is a decent size,its a shit to mow though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
250 acres
Desertdust

Post by Desertdust »

Not much of a vege garden to show but here's my little herb garden

titch

Post by titch »

Desertdust wrote:Not much of a vege garden to show but here's my little herb garden

I am amazedhow a touch of fresh herbs can change a dish.
I note you have basil and Mint, my 2 most used herbs.
Mint with anything with Chilli changes the dish to somewhere else.
neat little corner, weeded for show and tell huh :lol:
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Desertdust

Post by Desertdust »

Arhh yes you have a good eye Titch, along with Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Sage, Pineapple Sage, Lemon grass, Dill, Parsley, Rosemary and Oregano. The smell from herbs never fails to excite me. The smell of a few burning thyme twigs on the coals is better than sex :lol: Can't stand weeds, the garden get a hoe on it everyday or 2