I hate Home theatre equipment !!

Anything else NON- BBQ
lockyer

I hate Home theatre equipment !!

Post by lockyer »

We will be getting NBN very soon, and I asked about TV and nbn etc a little while ago. Well we went to Santa place yesterday as he has some gear that didn't get delivered Xmas day and he was selling it while cheap. So we came home with a new LG smart TV and a Yamaha RX - V381 receiver.

Problem is the LG has some sort of issue with either the receiver or our PVR set top box :twisted: so we are back to the good old Aldi telly that works perfect and I'm seriously thinking about taking the LG back. :shock:

Regards and Merry Xmas L
Angryman65

Re: I hate Home theatre equipment !!

Post by Angryman65 »

You probably need a teenager. They can get all sorts of stuff working that just makes me swear.

I'll send one of mine, you have to feed him. :D :D
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:roll:

Ummm, why do you believe you need a "set top box" ???

Was the set top box there so your old tv could receive the new digital channels ???

If that IS the case you don't need the 'set top box' anymore cause the new 'Smart TV' is digital :D

Just use it ONLY connected direct to a TV Arial and see how it works with nothing else connected to it

allow it to do an AUTO TUNE or you do it manually, and pick up the probably 30 tv channels available now :wink:

Do it ONE step at a time :)

Then connect the 'tuner' (receiver) to your home theater system, and is only (most probably) one thick cable that goes to the TV, if its like my Samsung system.
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah Lockyer...Mainey is right, the new Smart TV's don't need a set top box.....but most importantly read the instructions bit by bit and they will explain where to plug each item into the TV.
Samsungs and LGs are pretty much the same, but have a good flashlight handy, even in a lit up room because the writing on the back where all the input jacks go isn't easy to read without good light.

I know why they call em Smart Tv's coz they are a lot smarter than me,I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and still finding new stuff on it, then asking myself a couple of days later...."now how did I get that other thing up"? :lol:

I love watching all sorts of videos on YouTube with mine....I don't need the likes of netflix :roll:

Bare with it mate.....when it gets too much, just go for a short walk and refocus on the task...don't get too bogged down in it...it'll happen for you eventually........failing that....you must have a teenage nephew or neice that is tech savvy.

Have fun :P

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Thanks, gentleman..

AM65... I couldn't afford to feed a teenager lol. :shock:

Mainey & Davo, we don't get the NBN till Mar 17, I have already been in contact with a few providers. The PVR/set top box is used for recording it is a twin tuner model so can record 2 stations at once. I have been back to the retailer and spoken with a teenager sales assistant, so now know a few new hand shakes and finger symbols 8)

They are happy for me to bring the PVR in and they will have a play with it on a few of the in store TV's and see if they can sort it out....but....there is always a but,

The issue may be the TV (as Davo said) is too smart ! Most new smart TV's have a pirate coding that will allow most content to be displayed and being that the PVR is 5 years it most likely does not have that coding and so the TV blocks it. He went on to say some of the newer set top boxes have the same issue and can not be used with many of the smart TV's - Samsung is well known for this as well.

So as we only have free to air TV here we still wish to record some of the programs of an evening or a bit of sports :lol: :lol:

All our gear is Digital - our old receiver wasn't but Santa sold me a good one on Monday...Thanks Santa :roll:

So atm it looks like we will leave the Bauhn in place and run the TV through the PVR but as soon as the NBN comes along will have to say goodbye to the PVR and hello Stan/Netflix etc etc

Cheers L
Last edited by lockyer on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

We have just got nbn turned on here and now our tivo wont work
All Telstra can say we know there is a problem and we are working on it