NBN - Who has it and how good is it ?

Anything else NON- BBQ
lockyer

NBN - Who has it and how good is it ?

Post by lockyer »

1 flat white coffee thank you.....

OK the workman are digging holes all over the place and in 2-3 months we will have NBN - FTTN. Now there is only my wife and I and we're not gamers but would like to be able to watch some movies whenever we want. We each have our own laptops and smart phones so most of the day one of us is on the net looking at something or other. As far as phone calls go we don't use the home ph at all, we use our mobile (free to ea other) plus get $600 ea of calls and we have never gone close to using that up. We just have an answering machine that does a great job or screening the international calls :x
So I need help in understanding how it will all work and how things like home theatre systems can be setup as well with the NBN.

What do we have now - out the back is a pigeon coup and I catch .....wireless broadband - but after 3pm school days nothing......

Cheers L
titch

Re: NBN - Who has it and how good is it ?

Post by titch »

Wireless only here, no NBN in the future and at 95.95 a month,
I want it now
Cheers
Titch
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

I am amazed that we are getting the NBN so soon. It was promised to be here back in 2015 but after the cost over runs it was all put on hold, then came an election and plenty of residents let the local member know what they thought and next thing you know we have more work utes and diggers around here then they do on the Gold Coast.
A friend who lives on bigger acreage 10+ has ADSL 2 - I couldn't believe it when they got that 4 or 5 years back yet 100s of residents on 1 acre blocks were side stepped and left with wireless BB...well he is going to be biting his lip soon I think :D

So there must be member here who know whats whats on the NBN ?? :roll:

Cheers L
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

We have had NBN since May here at home. The speed increased slightly from ADSL, but not as amazingly as I thought it would. Several devices at one time are online and lots of data being downloaded. Iview and SBS On Demand works okay. The bundle came with a Telstra Tv box. I was with Telstra for ADSL and stayed with them for NBN. We had been on a bundle plan and for less money the NBN bundle was virtually identical to what we were on became available, so that is why we changed to NBN.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:D

I was connected to the NBN about 3 weeks ago :roll:

I wanted the NBN because I wanted to watch videos and movies on the TV, so I did a speed test with 'fast . com' and the initial speed was 5mbps, Netflix needs 12 mbps to run seamlessly with-out interruptions :oops:
I contacted my ISP and was put on a 'faster' plan giving me 12mbps :lol:
I was (almost) happy ...

Ok, so now some relevant FACTS your ISP will 'forget' to tell you are:

They do connect the NBN to your home....
How they actually do it is simple, they disconnect the copper cable to your home and re-connect the fiber optic cable, exactly as they say in the NBN adverts on the TV :lol: :lol:

What your not told is they will DISCONNECT the copper cable and some days later someone else will re-connect the fiber optic cable :oops:

I was with NO internet connection for 6 days, so be prepared.
then I had NO PHONE for a further 6 days because it was bundled with the NBN system.

when it was all connected and running I then did a speed test again with the same 'fast . com' and my speed was now increased to 11mbps :roll:
woops, that must be a typo, I meant it was DE-creased down to eleven mbps :oops:

So I phoned my ISP once again, I actually phoned them about 9 times during the change-over period, I was put on a different plan again, so now I have gone up from $39 a month to $69 a month BUT now I get 24 mbps speed :D :D

BUT.... I could have gone on the same plan with the old inefficient copper wire system and got the same speed.

Some one is making a bloody lot of money out of this and you and me will be paying the bills because some cockhed said it was good, good for who :?: :?:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Thanks Mainey

I will be keeping my wireless broadband going for 1 month while/after we get the nbn changed over/hooked up. No phone for any number of days is not a problem, but good to know as the outlaws will call on it and not our mobiles. :?

I was looking at the 25mbps plans to start with, as we already pay $65 a month for wireless BB plus $16.95 for phone rental we don't use, so I'm happy to pay $70-80 a month for hi speed internet plus it is unlimited - today all I get is 6gb data... :evil:

Please let me know who/what/where/when and how and why to hook up to Netflix or any of the others. No one out here has ever been able to have any type of online stream/video ever.

Cheers L
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

lockyer wrote:Thanks Mainey

Please let me know who/what/where/when and how and why to hook up to Netflix or any of the others.
No one out here has ever been able to have any type of online stream/video ever.

First you will need a 'smart TV'
Then you need a modem/router

You connect your SMART TV to the router, or as some may say, you connect your Router to the Smart TV

you can get your 'smart TV' to connect to Netflix or Face Book or a zillion other programs on the internet :roll:
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Mainey . . . wrote:
lockyer wrote:Thanks Mainey

Please let me know who/what/where/when and how and why to hook up to Netflix or any of the others.
No one out here has ever been able to have any type of online stream/video ever.

First you will need a 'smart TV'
Then you need a modem/router

You connect your SMART TV to the router, or as some may say, you connect your Router to the Smart TV

you can get your 'smart TV' to connect to Netflix or Face Book or a zillion other programs on the internet :roll:
I ended up getting that Telstra TV as part of an internet/Phone bundle which gives you about $36 or 3 months free on Netflix....well from what I've seen on Netflix so far is telling me to cancel my prescription...the TV shows are about 3-4 seasons old.....I get more fun out of youtube which is free.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Geez Davo. Don't cancel your "Prescription" unless your Doctor says so. :lol:
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

yakabot wrote:Geez Davo. Don't cancel your "Prescription" unless your Doctor says so. :lol:
:lol: :lol: smartarse :P
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

I've got it on the Far South Coast and really liking it.

Three teenage boys place big demands on the internet and when we first hooked it up we had four devices streaming you tube at the same time and no buffering so I was wrapped.

Got a pretty good deal for less than $100 a month we get unlimited internet, all phone calls except 1300, 6 months Netflix, a hard disk recorder and the option to hire movies and have them go on the phone bill.

Unlimited was the selling point. Kids smash Skype, gaming and YouTube all the time and regularly have two devices going at the same time each.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Angryman65 wrote:I've got it on the Far South Coast and really liking it.
Three teenage boys place big demands on the internet and when we first hooked it up we had four devices streaming you tube at the same time and no buffering so I was wrapped.
Got a pretty good deal for less than $100 a month we get unlimited internet, all phone calls except 1300, 6 months Netflix, a hard disk recorder and the option to hire movies and have them go on the phone bill.

Unlimited was the selling point. Kids smash Skype, gaming and YouTube all the time and regularly have two devices going at the same time each.

Can I ask what your (wireless) internet speed is rated at when measured at your computer :?: :?:
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Using the speed test app the installers recommended I'm getting just under 26Mbps download and 5.6 Mbps upload using WiFi. I'm connected via a rooftop antenna not cables.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:mrgreen:

I use 'speedtest . net' to check the speeds available and am getting a DOWNLOAD of 23.9 and UP-LOAD of 4.7 mbps.

This cost me $79.99 including the bundling of the home landline phone, so I'm happy with the price.

Netflix now runs spool free :lol: :lol:
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Mainey . . . wrote::mrgreen:

I use 'speedtest . net' to check the speeds available and am getting a DOWNLOAD of 23.9 and UP-LOAD of 4.7 mbps.

This cost me $79.99 including the bundling of the home landline phone, so I'm happy with the price.

Netflix now runs spool free :lol: :lol:
This sounds like a plan I will have to have a look at..Cheers L