NBN - Who has it and how good is it ?

Anything else NON- BBQ
lockyer

Re: NBN - Who has it and how good is it ?

Post by lockyer »

Well I best update this..... 8)

We got NBN and we love it.... :D It is fast, we can get over 70mbps down and 48mbps up. But went with a 50/20 and 1000g data plan. We went very small provider from Melbourne little aussie company. It has been great just finished the first month of Netflix's (free) and will give Stan a go for it's free trial. Speeds have fine run 28-45 down and low 20's up. Have loved watching youtube and learning stuff about smoking and the different methods of cooking.

Cheers L
Last edited by lockyer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

New news updated 07/06/17
( not the "fake news" )

I changed my 'router' from the single 'speed' of ????
and 'requested' a dual band wireless router, free from iiNet - speed also unknown :D

the new dual band router does make a big difference to the way you view Netflix and uTube on the telly with-out spooling :lol:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
the dane

Post by the dane »

Dual band will never increase the speed, but spreads the Internet across the two bands, it's ideal if you're running more than 3 things at once.  (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) your mobile phone ipad ds3 etc, will find its own band

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lockyer

Post by lockyer »

the dane wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 pm Dual band will never increase the speed, but spreads the Internet across the two bands, it's ideal if you're running more than 3 things at once.  (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) your mobile phone ipad ds3 etc, will find its own band

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The 2.4Ghz has a longer range/distance but moves less data per second while the 5Ghz has a smaller ranger and up to 3 time more speed BUT...whether wireless or cable your speeds will only move as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

Cheers L

Post by 220 »

Well we are still waiting to get the shop connected. Cant have a situation where we are without phone connection as we run 5 phone lines, phone, fax, POS system, alarm and lotteries. Being a business Telstra have actually been very good and spent a fair bit of time discussing what we needed when we could handle interruptions etc.
Had the pre installation done and only problem was we lost the fax line for a day that they quickly sorted. We were all set for the switch over until they contacted us to inform us that it was on hold as they have run into problems with not being able to meet demand locally.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

In our estate nbn only put 2 nodes in and being that we all have acreage, when they went live with nbn they told all residents you can now change over.....I do a bit of reading on Whirlpool and had a good idea of who,what,where,when. As it turned out about 1/3 of the estate cannot connect to the node as they are over 600m away from it and since the ACCC have been looking at the ISP's and there promised speeds etc the nbn will no longer connect residents if they think that the data speed will be low. So it has become a lottery and out here lots of residents are not happy.
im over the moon, grinning like a Cheshire Cat :D last night we watch utube vids on pulled porked in WSM....
Cheers L
Last edited by lockyer on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Im waiting for a change of government who realises the NBN is good debt
Hopefully they dont give us the Fraud Band before then
Its not likely
chilling while grilling
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Eugh no NBN for us yet...
Theyre saying in Sept (one can only hope)...
So slow internet there...

Happy surfing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Burnt offerings

Post by Burnt offerings »

I switched over to the NBN on the 16th December last year, as of today (10th May) I still do not have a connection.

If you ask me, the NBN network and the way they treat their customers is SHIT.
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
2014 Commonwealth Games Gold medal winner!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Burnt offerings wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:35 pm If you ask me, the NBN network and the way they treat their customers is SHIT.
and yes, as a NBN user I can and will second that absolutely and fully :lol:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P