Aus Post inefficiencies

Anything else NON- BBQ
emberpak

Re: Aus Post inefficiencies

Post by emberpak »

Aus Post once asked us if we wanted to use their services to ship our charcoal. I just laughed! Far easier to use a courier service.

Chris
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

emberpak wrote:Aus Post once asked us if we wanted to use their services to ship our charcoal. I just laughed! Far easier to use a courier service.

Chris
They would take longer to deliver it than it takes to make it !
punkin

Post by punkin »

Got to post my experiences here. I buy express and regular satchels in 4 sizes from Auspost in packs of a hundred each size. I have sent thousands of satchels out and the only ones i ever had problems with are ones that i have incorrectly addressed.

Auspost is the only service i can find that will offer a prepaid or fixed price satchel that will be delivered to anywhere in Australia with no extra charges.

I use my TNT account for cartons but can't for satchels as they will cube them if they are stuffed full, they will charge a residential service charge ($4 or somesuch) if going to a private address, they will charge $33 remote service fee if going to any one of the thousands of towns where they don't have a depot in Aus, and they will charge $21 for a redelivery attempt even if it's just to leave a missed you card and the customer picks the satchel up from the depot.
The other courier companies all have similar charges.

I have nothing bad to say about Auspost at all. If it ever gets privatised then see how much it costs to send a letter to outback WA. Won't be .60 cents that's for sure.
www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia, New Zealand or Asia.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

That's a good point punkin and coming from a cartage/transport background, people often forget how much it costs to deliver something.

Even though it's Government owned, they still have massive costs, sub-contract and company drivers to pay as well as the vehicles themselves...those B-Doubles aren't cheap.

Back in the early 80's I used to have my own parcel delivery business service the North Coast NSW from between Coffs to Lismore and when it came time to put prices up (even if only 25 cents per parcel) the screams and whinges were incredible.....my only retort was ok....how about I send you my Monthly fuel bill..i'm sure you'll be happy to fix it up for me :lol:

Who knows what the future lies with Aus Post but if the present Governments are any indication, they'll probably sell it......but I think the saving grace for Auspost over the past decade has been ebay.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
punkin

Post by punkin »

True and i think Auspost is connected so well with ebay because no-one else covers the services they offer or the quality of service.
I have to say my experience with TNT and there quality of service is great too, but they just can't match the fixed price services that Auspost can and neither can any company in Aus that i have found (including auspost owned Startrack).
www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia, New Zealand or Asia.