Fire Ban, something to ponder

Anything else NON- BBQ
kiwiman

Post by kiwiman »

Total fire ban in Victoria today and I started thinking. We are not able to use solid fuel BBQs such as Kamados, Pellet cookers, Kettles etc which are enclosed and quite safe. However cigarette smokers can smoke out in the open posing much more of a danger. Maybe smoking outside should be banned on total fire bans. Just a thought. Stewart
Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan
Gumb

Re: Fire Ban, something to ponder

Post by Gumb »

Good point. I fail to see how a kettle or pellet grill on a back porch would be a fire hazard. Maybe different in the open or out in the country but not in suburbia.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Kiwiman,

Whilst being a ex-smoker, I totally agree with your sentiment but it'd be a nightmare to police.

In most cases, unless someone dobs on you, even using a solid fuel BBQ would be hard to police unless it was in a public park but we don't advocate this behaviour of our members or anyone.

Unfortunately while we enthusiasts would know how to take the neccesary precautions in times of fire bans, there's plenty of knob heads out there who just don't have a clue.

Times of extreme fireban conditions really isn't a good time to be outside cooking over anything anyway and just the sheer extra heat from charcoal could be enough to make something catch fire.

Unfortunately it doesn't stop knob heads from throwing ciggies outside the car....you notice that new cars for the past 10 yrs don't even have ashtrays anymore...even my 2004 Magna AWD sedan doesn't even have one. It should be illegal to smoke in any vehicle but who is going to police it?
It's supposed to be illegal to smoke in a car with children aboard...I still see heaps of people do it though...it's like getting people to stop using mobile phones while driving....not enough cops to police it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
kiwiman

Post by kiwiman »

Davo Agree and would be totally impractical to enforce. Not advocating a change in law, more of a musing on the inequities and absurdities the lawmakers burden us with. I'M not allowed a slingshot down here to chase cockies out of my fruit trees. As you said, the Knob heads have a lot to answer for and no amount of laws will change it. An idiot is usually an idiot for life. Stewart
Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan
pierre

Post by pierre »

My brother in law has had the brilliant idea to turn on the Weber kettle for a children party with 43 degress last friday, so really clearly anyone does what he bloody wants unfortunately
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Only thing I can think of, is the hot end of a cigarette considered a "naked flame"? Isn't that what they used to say? I really can't remember.
Strangely enough, back when I was 1st reading this post, I was out the back (yes, smoking) and missus had one of those citronella pot/candle things going. (The anti mozzie type) It then dawned on me that it's probably illegal, being a naked flame??

But now as I'm typing, I'm thinking even more. (Sorry. Bad, I know)
If it is illegal for the naked flame outside on fire ban days, what about when I light my cigarette??
Nath

Post by Nath »

yakabot wrote:Only thing I can think of, is the hot end of a cigarette considered a "naked flame"? Isn't that what they used to say? I really can't remember.
Strangely enough, back when I was 1st reading this post, I was out the back (yes, smoking) and missus had one of those citronella pot/candle things going. (The anti mozzie type) It then dawned on me that it's probably illegal, being a naked flame??

But now as I'm typing, I'm thinking even more. (Sorry. Bad, I know)
If it is illegal for the naked flame outside on fire ban days, what about when I light my cigarette??
Probably both technically illegal. Though, in the hands of anyone with half a brain, almost impossible to cause an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

This is the whole reason I bought a gas kit to convert a spare kettle. You never know who might try & dob you in (most likely whilst lighting up a cigarette).
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?