Will I have to give up bbq?

Anything else NON- BBQ
mrjack

Post by mrjack »

I'm about to be discharged from hospital where I've just had a kidney stone removed. Most excruciating experience of my life.

Doctors are telling me to lay off the salt and red meat.

I have a GMG Daniel Boone due to arrive any day now!!!

Is my low and slow adventure over before it has even started???

(Hopped up on morphine and feeling a bit sorry for myself)
chrisg

Re: Will I have to give up bbq?

Post by chrisg »

Commiserations on the stone, nasty so I hear.

I think like most things in life it's a case of moderation, no need to give up red meat entirely, just eat more white meat, chicken, pork, all good. If you actually give up red meat entirely and are anything like me you'll go through some ridiculous cravings but the occasional piece of beef is not going to hurt you.

I was once sent to work for some months in the Seychelles when the tourist industry was just beginning on the islands, the sea food was magnificent but meat was pretty much chicken, chicken and more chicken. After a couple of weeks I would have killed for a steak and ended up getting some brought over from Kenya which eventually led to a friend in Nairobi running a nice little business flying in sides of beef, no one had apparently much thought about it before. Now they raise cattle there.

Salt, well yes, probably if you are a big user cut it down, not out, it does add great flavour, but a little goes a long way. We find a small container of the stuff lasts well over a year and that's with cooking a lot of pasta, salted water but not much ingested. We also use Himalayan salt quite a bit, but just a grate or two of it, great stuff.

You'll be fine, just expand the diet and think more about what you are eating and what goes into it :)

Cheers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Mrjack,

Sorry to hear about the Kidney stone..a mate from work had those and he had a hell of a time with them...Hope you get better soon.

As Chris said,everything in Moderation, you can have your red meat but incorporate lots of green veggies too...I often make a green smoothie to give myself those nutrients.

Fish.....get reaquainted with fish.....I'm sure a GMG will do a very nice job wood smoking nice whole fish such as snapper, flathead, bream, blackies and the like......Just don't tell Bentley :mrgreen:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Nath

Post by Nath »

Sorry to hear! But as the others have said, plenty of options to work with.
If you do give it up, I'll gladly take your GMG of your hands ;)

Nath
Nath
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Doctors always say stuff like that. Pffft

Q : How many drinks per day do you have Mike?

A :Two or three.
That's two to many. WT :shock:

If only I told the truth :roll:
:lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey wrote:Doctors always say stuff like that. Pffft

Q : How many drinks per day do you have Mike?

A :Two or three.
That's two to many. WT :shock:

If only I told the truth :roll:
:lol:
Ha! The way I see it, nobody answers that question truthfully!...Doctors know when you say 3, you mean 6, so they are trying to cut you down to 4! But I know when they say 2, they mean one!

Chris.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Sorry to hear that MrJack. If that's all the doctors said to you I'd definitely be getting a second opinion. I'd also like to understand the nature of it (what is the stone made of, what are the possible causes, etc.) before I start a treatment that may or may not be addressing the cause.
One thing that you can do to help kidney related conditions generally and that causes no harm (that I'm aware of) is to drink a lot more tap water. The worst side effect of that (as far as I know) is that you'll be urinating more frequently. Do away with soft drinks and bubbly crap that is often drunk instead of real and plain H2O.
mrjack

Post by mrjack »

Thanks all for your support. Am sure I'll be fine. Just a bit scary having to pay for your lifestyle sins.
Ciapek

Post by Ciapek »

Mate, speaking from a guy who passed an 8mm stone and obstructed a kidney duct with an even bigger one.
My German doctor laughed at me and said In wise words, drink shitloads of beer, cranberry juice, and back off the salt...
BBQ, will not kill you, if you are prone to stones, like me, excessive salt is your enemy........

3 years after the stone extractions, all well, just keeping my salt levels under scrutiny, everything else in excess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gindemon

Post by gindemon »

It depends on whether it was a calcium or a uric acid stone. Both are more common when you're dehydrated, you need concentrated urine enough to seed a crystal so the stone can grow on.

They reckon alcohol only contributes to stone formation because of the period of dehydration and concentrated urine post drinking session.

So stick to drinking lights and make sure you drink heaps of them when eating BBQ!!!

Jokes - everything in moderation. Supplemental magnesium in the form of a supplement is supposed to inhibit calcium oxalate stones from forming. Dunno about the uric acid ones.
"The Meat Sweats" Competitive BBQ Team
Port Macquarie 2014 - 1st
Bangalow 2014 - 1st
2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st
louievandeoorst

Post by louievandeoorst »

Mate there is no reason not to enjoy a nice bbq l.You still have to eat something so why not enjoy a bbq while you still can.There are so many things what you can still do on bbq.

I spend several months in hospital too and I had only one meal in two months rest of time I was feed by the tube through the nose.(I`m probably only one who did not complaining about hospital food as I had none)....I have been diagnosed with throat cancer and my voice box has been removed.They cut me from ear to ear ..and that three times.So now I`m dead quiet.....I had option..that or ...DEAD and quiet.

When I come out I promise to myself I will enjoy my T-bone on my barbie or bloody die. (Well I`m not there yet ...but I look forward).
Now I do enjoy my barbie every time....even as I can`t eat much of at moment , most of food what I do cook now is kind of stews as that`s is only things what I can eat right now....with a lot of effort. But is done on BBQ.Remember how they say....what does not break you ..make you stronger.
Do not self-pity yourself....always look straight forward.Everything is changing, so we are changing too. That`s not to be seen
as handicap but just as a challenge , things are only ..different ...and do believe in yourself.The best weapon for success is still in your hands mate...that`s willpower ...and a lot of it..

Good luck
Louie

" I`ll be happy or dead, I don`t take other options"
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Louie, so sorry to find out what you've had to go through. Great to hear that your awesome attitude is perfectly intact and that you're able to enjoy the Q. Your absence from the forum was noted and I'm very happy to read you again.
mrjack

Post by mrjack »

Am now feeling a bit sheepish about starting this thread. Thanks Louie, for some fine perspective.
I'll get back in my box now.

Cheers :-)