Three weeks to go..................

Anything else NON- BBQ
shayneh2006

Three weeks to go..................

Post by shayneh2006 »

Three weeks to go.................. until those of us that ride two wheeled motorized vehicle's (I know Davo is one) can enjoy a big change for the better :P .

Over at the Scooter forum, us members have been counting down the days to July 1st, where NSW transport have finally legalized........

......... Lane filtering :P :wink: :) :P :wink: :)

Now all NSW riders can enjoy the privilege of beating traffic congestion, slipping past stationary stinkers and arriving at our destination faster :lol: .

Probably not a big deal for rural areas, but in Sydney (where congestion is full scale) , this is a big move forward :wink: .

Just hope the other states see the light 8)

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Three weeks to go..................

Post by Davo »

I must say Shayne, I'm still quite apprehensive about this lane filtering thing as I don't really do it as a rule because I find that up here in Newcastle these bloody motorists are very aggressive and absolutely HATE anyone gaining any sort of advantage.

Now as you know, I drive buses around Newcastle and to see how motorists act around large vehicles like a bus and to see the stupidity by some of them is very alarming and a bike lane filtering them would make some burko.

Ya know the worst offenders....tradies with SS Holden utes (freaking unbelievable how these ratbags behave) and women with SUV's (oh I'm in a 4x4 and I'll just run straight over top of you) or DH's in old 4x4's who'll open their doors up hoping to knock you off balance.

I ride a 650 which is no slouch at a set of lights but have had knuckle draggers really getting stuck into trying to drag me off at lights....so yeah...a bit apprehensive about it.....and here we are in June and I've seen absolutely Nothing on TV to educate Motorists on the why's and whatfors of this trial...and just remember Shayne it is is only a trial legalisation and if too many motorcyclists do the wrong thing or too many get Injured or worse..killed, then that'll be the end of it.

I'll try the softly softly approach first :mrgreen:

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

I don't ride any more and tbh don't know what the lane filtering legislation is in WA although whatever it is does not seem to deter the local bike riding community.

When I did ride I always lane filtered anyway, the best place to be on a bike in my opinion is in front, especially at lights.

I don't think it is just Newcastle by any means Davo, Perth frankly is appalling, the worst offenders being the ones you nominate, probably tradies the worst.

Cheers
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Davo wrote:I must say Shayne, I'm still quite apprehensive about this lane filtering thing as I don't really do it as a rule because I find that up here in Newcastle these bloody motorists are very aggressive and absolutely HATE anyone gaining any sort of advantage.
Its a bit like that everywhere Savo and yes, Tradies seem to be the worse,,,, :x

Davo wrote:Nothing on TV to educate Motorists on the why's and whatfors of this trial...and just remember Shayne it is is only a trial legalisation and if too many motorcyclists do the wrong thing or too many get Injured or worse..killed, then that'll be the end of it.
Yes, I know.

It makes this scarry as there has been bugger all public awarness campains carried out in preperation to the move.

TV, commercials would hit home the most (amoungst other methods, radio,etc), so drivers and (pedestrians) will be ready for it.

This matter is being taken far too lightly by the Authorities -Regardless of whether we like those pedestrians who walk all over the roads ,IF they are not told of these new Lane filtering laws then some silly bugger will get knocked over and the laws will be reversed

Someone should tell the Authorities that these new rules must be explained to the dopey pedestrian community

Pedestrians walk around with plugs in their ears listening to I dont know what or are texting or phoning a friend and not paying the slightest attention to where they are walking

We will be the badies if someone does get injured .

Then, probably 90% of the biker community are not aware of this change (I wouldn't be if it wasn't flagged over at the scooter forum).

NSW Transport has the contact details of all people that hold an R license, where's our notification sent by mail of the change :?

Heck, I just recently received my Rego renewal........... hey,,,, they could have even slipped a flyer in there with it but nahhhhhh :x , that would be too hard.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Juls

Post by Juls »

Not been a bike rider for a long time.
I didn't even know lane filtering was illegal, apparently VIC Gov have recently said it will not trial like NSW.

I used to live in the UK and lane filtering is completely accepted by all road users there.
Bikes will even go between cars on a motorway when everyone are traveling at 130 kph (bikes tend to be traveling faster than this)
If a bike approaches a car from behind on a motorway and there is room in the adjacent lane, the motorist will pull halfway across the lane to allow the bike to pass and then move back into position.
Of course there are the occasional accidents, but motorists are conditioned to look out for motorbikes and bikes always had their headlights on.
The UK Gov used to run ads all the time "Be Seen"

Education is I think key.

Julian
Note that: Julian is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: "Juls" (as a personal account) and "Smokin J" (as a vendor account)
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Authorities need to let the general motorinmg public understand that lane filtering by motorcycles will be LEGAL to do for traffic under 30KPH and that any purposeful hindrance or aggression will be against the law.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

They won't, bike riders are essentially second class citizens when it comes to much targeted media education.

I have a number of friends in the WA Police, ran into one yesterday at the shops, he used to be on bikes, must ask him what the legislation is here.

I grew up riding in the UK Juls, totally agree with you, but UK motorists are like the BBC, not necessarily as good as they could be but some of the least bad :)

Cheers
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Juls, I too haven't ridden for a long time in Vic, but I do remember it being said it was an unwritten type if rule that cops didn't mind bikes doing it sensibly, as in just filtering slowly up to the lights. There was mention that if you rode with the car to your left and the white line to your right, it was okay. Technically, if you went to the right of that line, you were passing a car on its left side and that was how they could give you a ticket if you were being stupid when filtering.