Wife wants a cat,

Anything else NON- BBQ
chrisg

Re: Wife wants a cat,

Post by chrisg »

:)

My very unusual cat, imported from Queensland by air - sort of thing you'd do for a pedigree maybe but just a moggie, long story, never touches native wild life, sudden death on rats and mice though.

Cats certainly can be with birds especially but this one is just not interested.

My last house we had natives living in the garden. Some variety of Quoll. Cat used to grab the babies each breeding season when they wandered and take them back to their den behind the rock feature :) It may have had something to do with the length of fangs on the father Quoll who lived each winter as a bachelor in the garage and helped himself to the cat bowl when he felt like it :) Had three cats then, none of them were game to object.

Very, very strange cat, but most of them are.

That kitten does look cute Mick :)

I can only endorse Abyssinians, and Burmese for that matter, both fabulous breeds :)

Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

2browndogs wrote:
Smokey Mick wrote:
titch wrote:Aww what a look of take me home, what's pusses name going to be?
Really? Looks like it gazing into my Tojos headlights,,, right before ,,,,
The wife came up with Yani. I've no idea what it means other then there is a hot musician called Yani.
Mybe I need to have a "Chat" with her :roll:
Maybe she meant Yianni (greek for John)
That makes it better, I can dig that, She can call it Yianni and I'll call it John.

Great to see some animal lovers chime in , My last pet was a Doberman directly linked from one of the "Lads" from the Magnum PI show. Great dog and covered security for me while I did late night Locksmith work around Liverpool Sydney.
Very well trained friend. I kind of only had to look at it and it would know what I wanted him to do.
Each night I'd say perimeter check and he would enter each room of the house looking for open windows and let me know if there was.
Only lasted 9 years.
The cat in question is the only one for consideration, We didn't decide to look at various cats, Just this one came up through work colleagues.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
still_cookin

Post by still_cookin »

Cat fan here.
Cute looking cat. Just from the one pic seems bright and alert.

Some cats can certainly be very aloof and uncaring which is what most people remember about cats in general.
Have 2 cats and the male is much more affectionate then the female. My GF has had cats all her life - all female and none of them have even been as snuggly as our male cat.

I understand you are only thinking of this one cat and getting it at mates rate would be good. If he/she is a talkative cat might, it help with your son's social interactions.
Our male cat is half siamese and won't shut up lol
He demands as much human interaction that dogs normally do. Also digs holes and sometimes plays fetch.

both ours are indoor cats with a supervised run around outside on an occasional weekend. Many types of cats can certainly happily live indoors which helps with the wildlife.
(dogs roaming the streets don't often go after wildlife - but sometimes do go after people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-KJvwIkPFs

if you do go for it - take lots of pics and vids as the kitten grows up for your son and wife to reminisce :)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Cheers mate,
The wife took said son to see the cat last Saturday, Apparently the cat took to him and that surprised the breeder a bit as of the three, this cat is somewhat most cautious. Lots of licking and nussling.
It arrives this Friday.
Apparently me, being the Alfa male needs to restrict interaction with it so that it hopefully becomes the kids cat.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Ha Ha. Smart cat. "This is my ticket out of this place".
Smokey

Re:

Post by Smokey »

yakabot wrote:Ha Ha. Smart cat. "This is my ticket out of this place".
LOL, It IS a Cat Ladys place, Apparently the wife got the third degree about what to do.
I remember I Had the third degree picking up a pure doberman and the dog lady made a great big list of what it should eat like turkey mince etc.
On the way home we stopped into Macdonalds and I bought it a cheese burger :lol: The dog thought it hit pay dirt :P
edgy

Re: Re:

Post by edgy »

Smokey Mick wrote:
yakabot wrote:Ha Ha. Smart cat. "This is my ticket out of this place".
LOL, It IS a Cat Ladys place, Apparently the wife got the third degree about what to do.
I remember I Had the third degree picking up a pure doberman and the dog lady made a great big list of what it should eat like turkey mince etc.
On the way home we stopped into Macdonalds and I bought it a cheese burger :lol: The dog thought it hit pay dirt :P
lol

I thought we were the only ones that do this... Dogs love cheeseburgers, nuggets too. :roll:
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

:x "CATS" :x

Nothing against you getting one Mick but..............

Around my joint atm, I am in elimination mode....

I have just spent over a grand, rejuvenating my Native gardens (60M) in my front yard. New plants (30) with Pine Chip mulch.

My neighbors in all directions have Cats.

From day 1 the neighbours cats decided this was their new toilet and are doing their best to destroy my garden in the process :x .

They are a lazy animal and only dig into the mulch, then rarely cover what they done. They also make a mess pulling the mulch out of my garden, flicking it onto the lawn (daily clean up for me) and have even dug up the seedlings whilst moving the mulch :x .

ATM, I am seeking Council advice about what can be done about these "free" to roam the streets critters.... and how I can put a stop to them coming into my property and doing what they like.

Dogs (I have a Labrador) by law, must be confined to a property, and if picked up roaming will incur the owner a hefty penalty. Cats on the other hand....... :evil:

See if my local council will move on my complaints and if not............ the problem will be addressed the old way :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

A quick spray of the approved "piss cats off" stuff would probably be cheaper Shayne and quicker.

Those are cats who have not been raised properly or taken from their mothers too young, a good cat does not behave that way, by nature they are very clean creatures so long as they are taught young.

I never complain about anyone that doesn't like cats, some are allergic and some just don't like their ways but if they get destructive then a swift boot in the ass is a remarkable educator :)

Dogs I have no problem with, nor does my cat actually, but to address the comments earlier, is there anything a dog won't eat ? :)

My cat thinks we run a restaurant for her pleasure, currently at my feet complaining the meal tonight was not to her liking and to get her something else. The boot is about to be applied to the seat of learning but at her age she probably has less attention span than the average goldfish ;)

Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

LOL too funny :lol:
Shayne , You a hunter. Do you have a fox squeak ?
Worked for me once at Holsworthy when a crap cat killed my quarian
Come to poppa pussy :twisted:
I live on acreage and dogs all around so this cat will be indoors or outdoors on leash or when a human is also outdoors.
It's a hundred meters to my closest neighbour and they have a rat dog so I can't see it going there.
But I'm thinking on your line about being responsible.
Another funny thing, Today I pointed out all the Ming dynasty sitting on hall tables and what not and said that's all got to be taken down. Wife's face changed a bit :lol:
Percel

Post by Percel »

Shayne, infra red sprinklers are your friend, no need to harm!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Shayne.

Write to all your Councillors asking what their policy is on registration of Cats (same as Dogs).

Put some bowls out in your new garden with Amonia in them....cats hate it!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
still_cookin

Post by still_cookin »

Smokey Mick wrote: Another funny thing, Today I pointed out all the Ming dynasty sitting on hall tables and what not and said that's all got to be taken down. Wife's face changed a bit :lol:
Get some 'no cat scratch' spray - it smells of really strong coriander and the cats hate it.
They learn very quickly not to go near anything that has been sprays with that - they won't jump on or scratch anything after that spot has been sprayed a few times.

Get some tall scratching posts too. And create several places round the house that the cat can call it's own to sleep in - some high up if possible so it can survey it's domain :D
I use a spray bottle with water for when they are naughty.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

.....and get a Laser pointer!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Cheers for the replies, RE, "my Cat problem", and, Mick, sorry for the highjack :oops:

This will be my last post here, I promise.

ATM, I am putting my eggs in the "please help Local Council" basket

If that doesn't solve things, I will resort to natural deterrents (I hear they hate used Coffee grounds) within my allowable spare time limitations.

If that doesn't work, I am not really prepared to spend my money buying commercial deterrents....... as, why should it cost me :x

Like I said, last resort, I will deal with them the old fashioned way :twisted:

Trapping them, possibly, but its still gunna cost me or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :idea: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.