Re: Good news for shoppers

Post by titch »

I love their no bull return policy,that's a winner in itself
Cheers
Titch
Jars

Post by Jars »

the dane wrote:costco's first adelaide store is on churchill rd (old isington train yards) next to bunnings! also new coles, kmart, first choice going in. opens in may issssh!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
I can't wait! Literally used to live 5 minutes from there... Now it's a good hour trip. :(
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Zorba

Re:

Post by Zorba »

the dane wrote:costco's first adelaide store is on churchill rd (old isington train yards) next to bunnings! also new coles, kmart, first choice going in. opens in may issssh!

i wondered what they are building there. i drive past it all the time. its freakin huge.
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Bad for Aussie farmers, the big supermarket chains are screw them over.

The only good thing about Costco is the pork ribs, other than that it's the worst shopping experience I've ever had. Long queues, long waits for parking, hordes of people and mostly cheap crap product.

Better to buy quality food not supermarket rubbish unless you really have to ie the butcher or grocer isn't open
the dane

Post by the dane »

from what I have heard, will be the first of its type in australia, when its all up and running! be able to walk into bunnings get some screws then walk into kmart then walk into coles then into 1st choice! think it will be simular to lowes in the usa!
but at the moment in SA. bunnings cant sell beer etc! so you just walk from section to section and pay as u go

chriso

Post by chriso »

LA1 wrote:The only good thing about Costco is the pork ribs, other than that it's the worst shopping experience I've ever had. Long queues, long waits for parking, hordes of people and mostly cheap crap product.
We go weeknights and the queues are practically non existent, not sure which store you're at but we go to Docklands. Products have all been fine from what we've found, been members from practically day one.
We don't get much fruit or veggies, mainly meat and nappies!
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

LA1 wrote:Bad for Aussie farmers, the big supermarket chains are screw them over.
I think it's the contrary. Supermarket chains screw the farmers over because the farmers have no alternatives. So the more competitors there are in the supermarket industry the better negotiations are for farmers.
LA1 wrote:The only good thing about Costco is the pork ribs, other than that it's the worst shopping experience I've ever had. Long queues, long waits for parking, hordes of people and mostly cheap crap product.
This is a fairly common and justified complaint. Shopping at Costco is a bit of a skill. Also it takes some time to find their better products. I always go after work. No problems with queues, parking, etc.
Although there are many things I don't like about Costco, one criticism that I can't level at them is the "crap product". They in fact tend to pretty much only get decent name brands. Be it in electronics (samsung, sony, panasonic etc, and no "no name" brands), home appliances (Kitchenaid) or elsewhere.

Some worthy Costco products:
- Caterer's foil and glad wrap
- Stubbs BBQ sauce (comes and goes from the stocked items list)
- Montreal steak seasoning
- Jumbo paper towels
- Tuscan antipasto
- Big tub of bocconcini
- Excellent greek yougurt (2Kg for $5)
- Ruffles chips
- Some of the cheeses they stock like Machego
- Some of their frozen foods, such as New Zealand crumbed cod.

Some of their seasonal stock can be really good value too. Recently they sold a fantastic Panettone (Italian Christmas cake) for $14. I saw the same one at a Chatswood deli for over $40!

Some of the criticisms I have for Costco are:
- Inconsistent. Products come and go. Sometimes they never come back in stock which is a PITA when it was a favourite.
- Some products are not all that cheap or are sold in quantities that are not easily used by a regular sized family by the use by date.
- Zero customer service. Pathetic checkout banter ;)
- Some products are impossible to take home in cars (like some furniture/workshop items or the huge screen TVs), yet there is no delivery service at all.
edgy

Post by edgy »

I agree with you Fab ^^ you really need to be a selective shopper and know your products your shopping for with Costco.

The lidcome store just last week was selling 8 pack of Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glasses for $169! :shock: so I picked up a couple of boxes... That's ridiculously cheap for a high end product! (Read half the lowest you'll find per unit)

I don't know about others, but I use to sing praises for their pork ribs... Lately I find they are a little hit n miss and you really need to dig through the pile to get a good rack :lol: have found a great local resource for these now that is cheaper and better!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

edgy wrote:I don't know about others, but I use to sing praises for their pork ribs... Lately I find they are a little hit n miss and you really need to dig through the pile to get a good rack :lol: have found a great local resource for these now that is cheaper and better!
Do tell! :)

I have a couple of costco racks in my fridge ATM and you're right, I had to scour through them to find nice ones...
Problem is that I can't find them cut like that anywhere. The asian butcher near my work charges $2 more than costco for "American ribs" and there is virtually no meat left on them :)
I get the costco ones for special occasions and the $7 per Kg asian style ribs for the ordinary cookups. They are a bit more of a mess though.
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Narmnaleg wrote:
LA1 wrote:Bad for Aussie farmers, the big supermarket chains are screw them over.
I think it's the contrary. Supermarket chains screw the farmers over because the farmers have no alternatives. So the more competitors there are in the supermarket industry the better negotiations are for farmers.
This is a fairly common and justified complaint. Shopping at Costco is a bit of a skill. Also it takes some time to find their better products. I always go after work. No problems with queues, parking, etc.
Although there are many things I don't like about Costco, one criticism that I can't level at them is the "crap product". They in fact tend to pretty much only get decent name brands. Be it in electronics (samsung, sony, panasonic etc, and no "no name" brands), home appliances (Kitchenaid) or elsewhere.

Some worthy Costco products:
- Caterer's foil and glad wrap
- Stubbs BBQ sauce (comes and goes from the stocked items list)
- Montreal steak seasoning
- Jumbo paper towels
- Tuscan antipasto
- Big tub of bocconcini
- Excellent greek yougurt (2Kg for $5)
- Ruffles chips
- Some of the cheeses they stock like Machego
- Some of their frozen foods, such as New Zealand crumbed cod.

Some of their seasonal stock can be really good value too. Recently they sold a fantastic Panettone (Italian Christmas cake) for $14. I saw the same one at a Chatswood deli for over $40!

Some of the criticisms I have for Costco are:
- Inconsistent. Products come and go. Sometimes they never come back in stock which is a PITA when it was a favourite.
- Some products are not all that cheap or are sold in quantities that are not easily used by a regular sized family by the use by date.
- Zero customer service. Pathetic checkout banter ;)
- Some products are impossible to take home in cars (like some furniture/workshop items or the huge screen TVs), yet there is no delivery service at all.
Wish that was the case re the farmers, however from what I'm told, it's just another chain demanding lower prices from the farmers.

I must admit I didn't really look at the electronic stuff and for me, it was a horrible joint. But each to their own mate, happy days if it works for you. I'd much rather pay a bit more for better quality experience, product, service and better support local community, retailers and growers.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Davo wrote:I know a perfect spot for Costco for it's Newcastle Store....if any of you are familiar with this area, especially that of the pininsula between Belmont and Swansea around the Eastern Lake Macquarie side, there was a small airport called Aero-Pelican which is now up for sale, the whole box & dice, perfect flat land that could house their store but also have a nice el-fresco café/restaurant area overlooking the lake.....of course the runway will have to go...it's still there. The F27 Fokkers used to land there as this was Newcastle's only airport till Williamstown became available.

Cheers

Davo
You mean Marks Point?
Your kidding aren't you??
Why ruin a beautiful , quiet area of Newy with a big eff off shop!!
Why not put it in the Main Street of Newcastle....... God knows there's nothing else there
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Davo wrote:I know a perfect spot for Costco for it's Newcastle Store....if any of you are familiar with this area, especially that of the pininsula between Belmont and Swansea around the Eastern Lake Macquarie side, there was a small airport called Aero-Pelican which is now up for sale, the whole box & dice, perfect flat land that could house their store but also have a nice el-fresco café/restaurant area overlooking the lake.....of course the runway will have to go...it's still there. The F27 Fokkers used to land there as this was Newcastle's only airport till Williamstown became available.

Cheers

Davo
Davo,
That is the perfect spot as long as they leave the end patch next to the lake alone. About 10 - 15 metres from the shore there is the start of the dropoff which goes into the little channel, some great fishing there on one day either side and on the full moon. Fish one hour either side of slack water on the tide. I have taken several 50 cm flatties from there recently on my trips to Newcastle. I stay at the Belmont Pines CP about 2 Klm up the road.

Captain