Sunbeam Duos™ Sous Vide and Slow Cooker

Anything else NON- BBQ
Gatsby

Re: Sunbeam Duos™ Sous Vide and Slow Cooker

Post by Gatsby »

I've used mine for awhile now, no problems but I've used slow cook more often than sous vide. I've had no problems with it.

Did get a pid prior, from fresh meal solutions

https://freshmealssolutions.com/index.p ... mid=100086

Works OK - the cables are a pest, trying to keep the probe in the water can be a pain. I use a rice cooker with it. Must admit haven't used this since getting the sunbeam. Will keep it for when/if I do two dishes.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Smokey Mick wrote:Don, Do they circulate the water bath?
Ive been using the "Sous Vide at home" PID controller on a mechanical switched slow cooker.
I have to run a little aquarium air pump to keep the water moving around.
Same here made mine a pid ebay in a slow cooker
Also I use a small water pump from those table top water feature
Used it heaps
blade steak cut it with a fork sinew and all
Robbo5252

Post by Robbo5252 »

Romulus wrote:I've been thinking of getting one of these for a while now, to get into sous vide without breaking the bank, but I have been waiting to hear reports from anyone who has already bought one of them.
( I think the one that Breville put out received some pretty bad reviews ).

Titch, what happened with yours ?
Did you have any better luck with a replacement ?
Has anyone else on the forum had reliable use out of one ?

Or any good suggestions for a PID controller that can be used with a Slow Cooker ?
There's plenty of them on eBay, coming from HK, but I'm just not sure about the build quality, ( or the compliance side of it ).
Hey Romulus,

Another cheaper option than a PID is an STC1000 which you can get on ebay or from many home brew stores & wire it up to power plugs so you can connect it to your slow cooker.
It allows you to set the temp & a differential so it will maintain the temp to within 0.5 degrees. Best to get it signed off by a sparkie but you should be able to find a diagram on how to wire it online.
Cheers
Robbo
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

Smokey Mick wrote: Ive been using the "Sous Vide at home" PID controller on a mechanical switched slow cooker.

That was what I had in mind originally - I bought a Breville Banquet Maker about 6-7 years ago, and only used it twice because of it's size.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/brevi ... maker.html

I've read a number of reviews since, which claim the crockery insert tends to crack after a number of uses, and was wondering if it might fare better as
a sous vide set-up ( because of lower operating temperatures ).
Just wasn't sure about the quality of said PID controllers, or having to alter O/seas power cord plugs, etc.

And now, I couldn't help noticing that this offer is doing the rounds again/still -

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/sunbeam- ... ckage.html

Since I still haven't bought a vacuum sealer yet, that would probably make this a reasonable entry level package.
Image Image
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yeh mate, My missus thought she would sweat some onions on my $49 kambrook slow cooker and the crock broke.
They need liquid. Though some will brown off and multy function but they are digital controlled and no good if using a separate PID. You need a old style turning switch.
The quality of my Souse Vid at home PID is excellent but I must admit I've not used it for some time.
I really should get into it again.
If I was to do it over again I'd go the sunbeam souse vid cooker as it seems to do both SV and casseroles.
Also, the cheap vac machines just don't cut the mustard, The minimum to look for would be the sunbeam 780.
More suck and a wider better seal
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

Robbo5252 - thanks for that - I'll do a bit of reading up on the STC1000.

I can sign off on any wiring I do - no problem.
( It's only a problem if the device fails while it's unattended and my home burns down, and then I have to sue myself :oops: :lol: )

Mick - I believe the sealer is a Sunbeam VS4400.
You think maybe these are no good for starting with small items like steaks, etc ?

Also curious about your Souse Vid at home PID - any info or link to where you bought it ?
Image Image
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Mick - I believe the sealer is a Sunbeam VS4400.
You think maybe these are no good for starting with small items like steaks, etc ?

Also curious about your Souse Vid at home PID - any info or link to where you bought it ?

It will work ok but like many you will upgrade in a year or two.
The 780 has manual pump and you choose when to seal, very important I found after using a 4400.
I can pump air and massage the contents somewhat to ensure all air is out.
Also the melted seal is wider so I no longer have to make two seals on each end.
Re the PID
I'm on an I pad so can't close this page to do a search but it's an Australian product and comes up on google
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The label on mine indicates the company was Sous Vide at Home...in Adelaide somewhere, I don't think they exist anymore!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

@ Urbangriller:

Yes, that's what I suspected.
So it comes down to The Sous Vide Magic controller from the U.S. that Gatsby posted the link to, or or a PID off the internet from Hong Kong - either of which will need to have the inlet lead changed to suit Australian Power Points.
Or something like the Sunbeam Duos, that's ready to go.
The only other product that comes to mind would be one of the PolyScience range - but at $1200-$1400, I think not.

Right now, the Harvey Norman deal is looking like the best prospect - particularly since it can double as a normal Slow Cooker as well.
Image Image
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Hi,
The US one (fresh meal solutions) I got has a standard PC style inlet power socket & I use a large international convertor for the outlet. No cable changes necessary.

Hope this helps.
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

Thanks Gatsby, much appreciated.

Hell, I might buy one of each.
You can never have too many toys.
Regards,

R.
Image Image
magste

Post by magste »

I have the new Anova sous vide attachment on pre- order from kickstarter. Looks very promising. http://anovaculinary.com/

There are a couple of these floating around, Sansiere being another one.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Romulus

Re:

Post by Romulus »

magste wrote:I have the new Anova sous vide attachment on pre- order from kickstarter.
I'm curious which of the 3 models you decided to go with ?
And I'll be interested in your opinion of it, once you've given it some use .
R.
Image Image
magste

Post by magste »

I went with the wireless one on kickstarter, the cheapest one. Signed up early so got it for $145. Delivery hopefully in October.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle