Bike Parts,, and being hit between the eyes

Anything else NON- BBQ
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Bike Parts,, and being hit between the eyes

Post by Davo »

Another bugbear is motorcycle tyres.

On my DL650 V-Strom, it uses the very same tyre size as a Beemer GS1200 adventure type bike as well as Trump Tigers and set of Metzeler Tourances cost me $480.
Many guys on the Stromtrooper forum site of which I'm an active member, have bought their tyres directly from the US and either have mates who can fit them, DIY; or get bike shops to fit them but will charge up to over $100 for fitting.

The last option of which i have no option other than to cop on the chin, making the savings very marginal.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Carne Amante

Post by Carne Amante »

Hey, Davo.

My brother has a Trump Tiger and is doing up an XS 650. He got tires for both from the states late last year.
Can't remember the price, but I know it was MUCH cheaper than here - had to be, he is TIGHT! :lol: :lol:

Dunno what he did about fitting.

Carne.
Fire in the bowl
Meat in the belly
is good for the soul
and better than the telly
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

Davo wrote:Another bugbear is motorcycle tyres.

On my DL650 V-Strom, it uses the very same tyre size as a Beemer GS1200 adventure type bike as well as Trump Tigers and set of Metzeler Tourances cost me $480.
Many guys on the Stromtrooper forum site of which I'm an active member, have bought their tyres directly from the US and either have mates who can fit them, DIY; or get bike shops to fit them but will charge up to over $100 for fitting.

The last option of which i have no option other than to cop on the chin, making the savings very marginal.

Cheers

Davo
Davo,

I've changed all my tyres for years and Torpedo 7 will get you a tyre changer for about $70 which really make it a piece of cake.

Tell you what. I'm on holidays and going up camping at Booti Booti on 21 April. I'll bring it up and leave it at your place if you like. Be a long time before I ride a bike again the way I'm going. Even change a tyre for you if you like.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

MrBrown wrote:
Davo wrote:Another bugbear is motorcycle tyres.

Cheers

Davo
Davo,

I've changed all my tyres for years and Torpedo 7 will get you a tyre changer for about $70 which really make it a piece of cake.

Tell you what. I'm on holidays and going up camping at Booti Booti on 21 April. I'll bring it up and leave it at your place if you like. Be a long time before I ride a bike again the way I'm going. Even change a tyre for you if you like.
Hehehe Thanks for the kind offer Ross.....how big is this tyre changer thing? Dunno where I'm gunna store it :shock:

Did you end up selling your bike/s?

To be honest Ross..I don't think I'd get to use it.....I'm not real confident on pulling bikes apart (actually it's the putting them back together that I get in strife :mrgreen: )

I bought a brand new set of Tourances about 6,000kms ago and wearing well...hoping to get 15-20 thou k's out of this set..I'm not a hard core rider...more of a tourer...but I love me Strom..it's fast enough for me and can do over 400kms to a tank...not bad for a heavy 650. These things carry loads as good as any mule and ya don't have to clean up after it.

I seen in Japan that a new 650 strom is listed at around $8,800 equivelent over there but are $10,900 here. I don't know what the on-roads are over there for a bike.They system called Shakken gets dearer for a car after a certain age and gets deare every year after that.Lots of little square cars over there with 600cc motors that switch off everytime you stop at a set of lights. They might get 28kms/litre but you wouldn't wanna have a prang in one = no legs :shock:

If ya still got my number...give me a call on your way through.... :)

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

No worries, hopefully everything will come off as planned, I need a holiday bad