pizza ovens!

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
magste

Re: pizza ovens!

Post by magste »

talisker63 wrote:Admit I have a bias but I would also say that the after sales service on my Kamodo is second to none. The owner called me to check it was delivered ok and I had no problems setting it up. And he is available to take calls on cooking questions!

Yeah the Komodo Kamado does cost a LOT more.
The only issue I have with pizzas in the kamado is finding a pizza stone that can handle 700-750F heat... I'm on my third this season... :roll: Maybe the kamadocooker one will do the trick, it seems thicker than the $15 ones you buy in homeware stores...
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

magste wrote:
talisker63 wrote:

The only issue I have with pizzas in the kamado is finding a pizza stone that can handle 700-750F heat... I'm on my third this season... :roll: Maybe the kamadocooker one will do the trick, it seems thicker than the $15 ones you buy in homeware stores...
:shock: :shock: :shock: Why go that high ? (Unless you have a Komodo brand which can handle it). I do pizzas at 450F with no probs.

I cracked the top fire ring the only time mine went above 650. I haven't been close to that since.
magste

Post by magste »

Beaver wrote:I have slowly taken my kamado to these temps and never had an issue, same with my pizza stones, i never wet them and always flip them so that both sides get used. They are just cheapies but no problems so far. Not even at 750F
That's what I do as well, but it seems every now and again the stone has enough and cracks during cooking. At 750F you can do the famous 2 minute pizzas which are great (but most times the high temp is due to me overshooting the target temp of 650F.. :oops: ).
Magnus

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
hecle

Post by hecle »

Seriously a weber kettle with FUll Baskets of beads is ready in 45min and cooks thin lightly topped pizzas in around 3 minutes. I add a soaked wood chip with each pizza for wood fired taste. Absolutely dead simple and good fun with a group of friends!
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

what pizza stones are you guys using when cranking the temps up to those levels?
i planning on using a double layer.. i.e. 1 layer = pizza stone pack from costco.. fairly thin.... 2nd layer = cheap non glazed terracotta tiles...

yet to see how they cope with those temps!
magste

pizza ovens!

Post by magste »

I just got a Kamadocooker stone. It is more than twice as thick as the other stones I've had. Haven't brought it up to super high temps yet, we'll have to see how that goes, but it does ooze confidence :)
Magnus

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Beaver wrote:I caught my fiancé placing the pizza stones in the sink to wash it last week...... *facepalm*
We will see if that's the end of its good run....

Hmmm.....That'd be Ex-Fiancé!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!