Beefeater pizza oven destroying pizza stones!

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
freebo

Beefeater pizza oven destroying pizza stones!

Post by freebo »

Hi,
I just got one of these: http://www.beefeaterbbq.com/pizza-oven- ... /i1286319/ but in stainless (display stock).

Had our first "pizza party" with it, it does an amazing job making crispy pizza's in minutes but, it cracked 2 pizza stones in minutes too, guess its getting too hot.

Does anyone know where I can buy thick, unglazed terracotta tiles or fire bricks?

I know I could turn it down but that would be no fun and pizza stones are expensive to experiment with when they last like 5 mins.
hoddo

Re: Beefeater pizza oven destroying pizza stones!

Post by hoddo »

A pizza stone should handle the heat better than a terracotta tile, are you letting the stone slowly warm up in the oven as it comes to temp? You cant put a cold stone in a hot oven.
freebo

Post by freebo »

Yep, the (first) stone went in before I lit the BBQ, and I had it on "low".
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

If you cant get fire bricks and they might be too thick and take to long to heat try brick pavers.
They should last for a long time and arent to thick to take forever to heat.
pretty cheap too
chilling while grilling
freebo

Post by freebo »

What kind of pavers did you mean?

I know you can't go anything glazed as the glaze can contain lead.
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
Your pizza stone usually comes with a rack use that. If not raise it above the grills of your BBQ to stop the uneven heat And cracking. It's hard to go to 25 mm pavers or firebrick splits at 25 mm as it takes about an hour for the heat to pass through a mass like that.
I have a wood fired oven for a number of years but do own a pizza stone which has seen a lot of use on BBQ, in ovens and under grills at many friends houses. I don't care what you think a "proper" pizza should be. Your can cook a great pizza on a stone and why not.
You might want to investigate a steel plate as well, I hear that makes a great base. I had a 12 mm ( 1/2 in) ex armor plate that was a great BBQ plate and you could literally cook on full flames and not burn anything.
Regards dave
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

freebo wrote:What kind of pavers did you mean?

I know you can't go anything glazed as the glaze can contain lead.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Ungl ... mgWl-KLoBg
chilling while grilling
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

If you're in NSW I can highly recommend these guys: http://www.fieldfurnace.com.au/

They do cash sales over the counter, and are more than happy to help you decide on what you need. I bought 300mm x 300mm x 40mm thin bricks (like a paver) - marketed as bread oven floor tiles, and you can buy them by the brick - so you only have to buy 1 or 2, not a whole pack.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?