Saw this advertised at Bunnings

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
plumby

Saw this advertised at Bunnings

Post by plumby »

Hey guys does anyone have any knowledge regarding the Bakerstone pizza oven box? Looks intersting, Bunnings are advertising them.

http://www.bakerstonebox.com/

http://www.bakerstonebox.com.au/product ... one-basics This one says specifically for 57cm Kettle bbqs
Gumb

Re: Saw this advertised at Bunnings

Post by Gumb »

My first thought is how much gas would you use trying to get that up to the right temp ? A lot I would think. As for kettle BBQs (webers, dragons etc), you can do good pizzas in them without that.
plumby

Post by plumby »

Agree, did some research 45 min to heat up?? Bugger that, an hour to cook a pizza and all that gas used. So I read the hints on cooking pizza in my WeberQ2200 and gave it a crack last night the results were great. I used 3 cans (med sized baked beans) to raise it up and baking paper for the first 6 or 7 min on my stone then removed to crisp the base, couldnt have been better.

Another notch for the WeberQ
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

FWIW if I didn't have a wood fired pizza oven the bakerstone is exactly what I'd be getting. I've never used one, but the principles are sound (if you get one I'd be keen to know how it fares). I think you'd be able to achieve much hotter temps in there than you'd ever reach on a gas BBQ using any other technique. And high temps are essential for the most popular styles of pizza. Aside from flavour, another advantage of fast pizzas for me is that I never make just one, if the bakerstone allows you to cook pizzas in 2-3 minutes that is a lot less waiting that you'd do otherwise.
I'd give it a go!
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

I've used one, and to be honest am a bit meh.

Not much quicker than your gas BBQ once you get it cranking, and it does take ages to get hot and that's a lot of gas. Perhaps it would be ok in a kettle where you can pile in a few more head beads and they'll burn long enough to get it hot and won't cost a fortune in gas, but for a 4 burner bbq, you'd be better off with a couple of pizza stones.

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
PizzaCharlie

Post by PizzaCharlie »

I got one as a present for Christmas.

Used it a few times before I said stuff this and built myself a Wood Fired Oven.

Not worth it. Using a BBQ would be much more effective.
sneekypete

Post by sneekypete »

I have one if these and I have found it really good cooks a beautiful pizza mine only takes about 15 to 20 mins to heat up but I do have a 6 burner bbq
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Learning dough making and pizza principles on the construct is the important stuff, after that, an electric or gas fired cooker that can get hot enough is all you need.
TFO lerves her pizza, and so often it isn't convenient to fire up the keg to cook just a single. I bought a $29 electric with a stone.
Early this morn I made a dough and let it rise.
Knocked out these for our lunch.
Jamon Iberico, red onion, field mushroom fresh tomato, home made sauce and Buzz Mozz.

Jamon Iberico, fresh tomato, sauce, marinated atichoke hearts and Buff Mozz.

Ive read that a lot of traditional famous pizza places in the world now cook on steel pans over electric.
It seems redundant to me to heat a barbecue to heat a pizza stone box? Heat a stone and cook it in the barbecue heat?

Not trading our fast little easy option, not for quids! :D
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

2 to 3 minute pizza sounds good for the leoparding of the cornicione
chilling while grilling