Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

So up at the inlaws and have time so I got myself a brisket to smoke in mother in laws new pizza oven. Using seasoned Tallowwood and so far so good. Got it on at 9am and temp is steady at 225f all day. I've foiled her up about 2 hours ago and temp has gone from 145 to 170.

Problem is, it's a messed up brisket from a local butcher that.....well..... absolutely "butchered" it. Hardly any fat, very thin in one end. One piece was about to fall off and hanging from a bit of fat.

So should I wait til 203f or pull the pin and let it rest before serving?

I'm worried it's going to dry out as its so thin.

Rubbed up. S&P Texas style

Smoking!

Help? :(
BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

Anyway. End result was good! Wherever there was fat there was tender meat. Simple. Overall very happy and so was the family with my first attempt.

Smoke flavour from the Tallowwood was amazing! Haven't heard anyone mention it anywhere but if you can get some, smoke it!

Narmnaleg

Re: Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by Narmnaleg »

That looks great BB! I did brisket today and had similar issues. For some reason it had very few nerves and connective tissue, so the mouth feel of the lean parts was a bit dry even though the flavour was good. Where there was fat it was delish.
I've never seen tallow wood available around my parts, but I'll keep my eyes out for it.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Cookin your 1st Brisket in Pizza Oven...gutsy move Maverick! Nice job!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yep, a fine effort!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

Do you guys think It would've dried out too much if I waited to reach 203F? Especially with almost no fat ?
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

So hard to say. Some will give up a little tenderness to keep that moisture in the meat, so you doing what you did may have accomplished that. Meats are like snowflakes, each is different!
BeachedBro wrote:Do you guys think It would've dried out too much if I waited to reach 203F? Especially with almost no fat ?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

BanditDave

Post by BanditDave »

Narmnaleg wrote:That looks great BB! I did brisket today and had similar issues. For some reason it had very few nerves and connective tissue, so the mouth feel of the lean parts was a bit dry even though the flavour was good. Where there was fat it was delish.
I've never seen tallow wood available around my parts, but I'll keep my eyes out for it.
Tallowwood is used extensively for decking. It grows throughout NSW and QLD

You wouldn't want to use dressed timber as this is almost certainly treated with nasty chemicals.

I suggest you find a sawmill that processes tallowwood and see if you can get some offcuts.
I entered "tallowwood mills" in Google and there seems to be plenty.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

All of the Waverley footy ground seats were tallowood they got recycled into furniture and floor board when they tore it down.
A friend has a fair few on his property ,I havent seen a koala in them but have seen tracks in the dust as they go from one to the other.

Its got a high oil content that makes it resistant to termites borers and rotting,I would have thought that wouldn't be the kind of stuff you want flavouring your food ???.
Not so much flavourwise, but chemically ...........spose all smoked meat is bad for you anyway.

It would make great dense charcoal though.
chilling while grilling
jaybeau

Post by jaybeau »

Great job.
BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

Groovy Gorilla wrote:All of the Waverley footy ground seats were tallowood they got recycled into furniture and floor board when they tore it down.
A friend has a fair few on his property ,I havent seen a koala in them but have seen tracks in the dust as they go from one to the other.

Its got a high oil content that makes it resistant to termites borers and rotting,I would have thought that wouldn't be the kind of stuff you want flavouring your food ???.
Not so much flavourwise, but chemically ...........spose all smoked meat is bad for you anyway.

Nah wasn't treated. The wood is from a massive 100+ year old
Tree that died and had to be cut down. It was close to the house and would've destroyed it if it fell.

Extremely hard timber. Father in law had to buy a Ryobi block splitter to get smaller pieces for the pizza oven.

Here's a couple of the locals enjoying some foliage from a much younger tree:

Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Im familiar with the tree and the wood
I know its not treated they are just naturally insect and rot resistant
chilling while grilling
BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

Groovy Gorilla wrote:Im familiar with the tree and the wood
I know its not treated they are just naturally insect and rot resistant

Sorry just confused mate as you said Tallowwood had a high oil content but refer to it as a chemical as well in your previous post.

I wouldn't have thought a natural occurring oil from a tree would be a "chemical".

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a novice to all this.
BeachedBro

Brisket in a Pizza Oven

Post by BeachedBro »

Groovy Gorilla wrote:All of the Waverley footy ground seats were tallowood they got recycled into furniture and floor board when they tore it down.

Have done some more research and found that you are right, but, the natural Tannins/Chemicals created by Tallowwood to protect it from pests are only present up to 6 months after being seasoned or weathered. This is also the case for Spotted Gum.