Tools for a wood fired oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Gatsby

Tools for a wood fired oven

Post by Gatsby »

I was wondering what gear you have for one of these?
A round pizza peal. What length handle is best?
Something to push the fire to the back. Any ideas on this?
A brush to clean up the base. Again ideas?
What else?

Cheers
Narmnaleg

Re: Tools for a wood fired oven

Post by Narmnaleg »

Hi Gatsby,

I'm very much new to this whole thing so please take my advice with that in mind.

The length of the handle depends on the size of the oven. For a little one like mine I find a 60cm handle is fine (my oven is 60cm deep, so a handle of 60cm added to a 20cm diameter peel means I don't have to enter the oven).

One item I'd highly recommend is a small diameter pizza peel (20cm or less). This makes turning pizzas much easier for me.

A wire brush (mine is SS I think) is a good idea to scrape hot ashes away.
A regular fireplace type brush and pan are good to clean the oven of cold ashes.
I move and stoke the fire with an old pair of ultra long and strong tongs, but again a fireplace type fire stoker should do the trick depending on oven size. I know some people with larger ovens use garden type tools like a long handled hoe.
Most larger WFO require a mop to clean the inside. Mine is not big so I can reach the back of it with a wet sponge.

Which oven do you have Gatsby?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Don't forget a length of metal tubing to use as a blower. Great for clearing the ash before putting the pizza down and also for giving the fire a helping hand. I picked up a length (1m I think) at Bunnings for a few dollars. Also got a good brush there which I took off the handle, cut a flat section in the handle and screwed the brush back on so it's flat. But not a synthetic brush....that would melt!
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
I'm not a big fan of wire brushes in ovens... To much chance of a wire bristle ending up in your food .
If you cooking pizza, fire in the oven, I us the peel slap, scape the fire to the side, then get you large flat peel and slap it down on the hearth. The ash rises in the air and is taken up in the hot gases and out. Do it a couple of times and it's done.
Clearing the coals out, a natural brush will do to get that floor clean after the coals are out. They don't last long ... There cheap anyway.
If you baking bread, and you want the steam to give you a nice chewy crust, use the damp mop.
Strips of old rags wired to a old broom handle will do. Throw the rags away after the one use.
If you want to blow with a pipe an old golf club makes a great pipe as it necks down as it gets closer to the club end. Remember to blow not suck, its important, trust me you'll only stuff that up once :D
Regards dave
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Thanks for the info - just what I was after.
The oven I got was from ebay - the guy was local (Top Ryde) so I could go around & have a look. I got interested from Narmnaleg & Gumb's posts.
I'm not sure what brand you'd call it - he has a web site (http://outdoorfirepits.com.au/) & I haven't seen it on ebay again.
Nice bloke & being able to see before hand was great.
The thing weighs a lot - 250kg & is quite large - the base is 1m x 1m & at a guess the dome portion interior is about 800 in diameter
Only fired up once & on the learning curve.
Boy does it get hot!

Since it's in the open I'm going to have to work out a cover of some sort.
Any idea's?

Cheers
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Gatsby that oven looks great! Is that the one with a one piece base (special concrete or some such)?
I think I considered it when I was looking for an oven, but the only issue for me was the size and weight not working for the spot I had in mind in my cooking area.
Not too sure what you'd use to cover it, but I can't wait to see it in action. Have you got it to 400c yet?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Nice looking oven and with that sort of weight it will hold the heat beautifully. Looking forward to some pizza pics.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Yes it is the one advertised with a granite base (50 mm thick).
Except he has swapped that out & replaced with fire bricks - as a couple of people managed to crack the slab somehow.
I did have a large fire last week but I think the temps were around 300 - 350. I didn't want to go to far to fast.
This afternoon is fixing the paving base for it - did a rush job last weekend so I could try it out. Now need to set the pavers in concrete & get it properly level.
And to fix the garden edge & clean up the mess - sigh
Given the late start tonight's plan is shot as I want the base nice & set before loading it up. Hmmm nothing stopping doing a run with it in the middle of the lawn, so maybe all is good.
I'll try & remember to take some photo's.
Cheers
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
Pizza peels. I have 3 I use.
A wooden peel which I build the pizza on. Well floured with semolina so the pizza slide off. Ordinary flour burns some people don't like the taste. I've used rice flour it works well, but semolina act like little ball bearings they always come off. If you do get one that sticks lift the edge and blow under neath ( or get however is going to eat it to do this) a hand full of flour shake and your away. Never cut you pizza on it ...spoils it real fast.
The big flat aluminium ones you see. Its a work horse. You can move ash about even. If you carefull and keep it clear of sauce and the like you can use it to scoop up a pizza and delivery into the oven. You have got to keep it clean plenty of hand towel and dry flour to polish it up as you go.A must for removing pizza from the oven.
Turning peel, I've only just got one they are great for turning pizza in the oven as they are light and easy to handle, you can only remove small pizza from the oven as they are a dragging tool rather than lifting one .
Aluminium flat rake for moving of ash and hot coals. Mines just homemade and aluminum so it doesn't damage the hearth. I've seem some people use a steel hoe, that's why I use aluminium.
Poker pan hook. Simply a metal tent peg in a metal curtain rod great for poker the fire about and dragging hot pans about.
Handle length ....if your taken out the bystanders behind you they might be too long . I've started with long handles and trimmed them down a bit by bit till they feel right. I don't think there's any right or wrong as long as the are long to reach the back of the oven without loosing arm hair.
If you stack a pizza real bad and end up with burning black mess in the middle of your cooking space just rake the coals Over it 3 mins it's all gone clear the ash and you away.
Regards Dave
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Cobblerdave wrote:A wooden peel which I build the pizza on.
Ah yes good point. I also use a wooden pizza peel to build and launch the pizzas. The one I use is a short handle one though (like a pizza peel shaped cutting board). I find that I don't need flour or semolina to launch the pizza, just have to make sure the wood peel is dry. If the pizza does stick, I smack the peel slightly against the wall or bench-top and it usually comes unstuck.
Bear

Post by Bear »

These are the tools I use (from right to left)

1. small pizza peel, with rotating handle
2. shovel, for removing coals
3. rake, for shifting coals (made form weber charcoal basket)
4. large pizza peel
5. mop, depending on cooking method (search my thread on panifico)
6. brush (not pictured)

Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Kegerator

Post by Kegerator »

hi guys,

so do you use a mop to clean the stone in your pizza ovens?
any old mop will do?

thanks
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Those using wire brush I wouldn't
One stray piece of wire swallowed is a good way to perforate your intestine and cause you all kinds of trouble.
chilling while grilling
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Kegerator wrote:hi guys,

so do you use a mop to clean the stone in your pizza ovens?
any old mop will do?

thanks
When you finished cooking, move the hot coals over the stained cooking area and they will burn any residue off. Then just brush it out when cool.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Kegerator wrote:so do you use a mop to clean the stone in your pizza ovens?
After I finish cooking pizza I spread the coals to burn off any bits and pieces like the inevitable flying mushroom or piece of mozzarella. Before I start the next cook I empty the ashes from the previous occasion with a brush and pan and then, because my oven is small, I reach in there with a humid sponge and get rid of any remaining ash. If I had a large brick oven I'd be using a brand new mop of decent quality.