Maximus Portable Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Narmnaleg

Re: Maximus Portable Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Post by Narmnaleg »

Zorba wrote:not woodfired. i may aswell use a regular oven.

i was subtly refering to wangs thread.
If your regular oven gets to that temp, has a stone in it both top and bottom and is as practical to use then yes. Otherwise there are still lots of advantages to the bakerstone as I see it (and at that price).

I get what you're saying about flavour, but some of the best pizzas I've seen have come out of gas ovens so I'm no longer as set on this aspect as I used to be. For roasts that's a different matter as they have more time to absorb the mild wood flavour (for example the roast potatoes in my pics above had a great wood cooked flavour).

IMO the first priority in making a great pizza is getting the dough right for the type of pizza you want to make. The wood fire, gas or electric is a secondary issue (although I much prefer to play with fire ;) )
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Tonight for dinner we had pizza (again). Flavour wise, I think tonight's batch was the best yet. The main reason was a slight alteration to the dough recipe.
I've been trying methods to fit larger (if squarer) pizzas in the Max and every now and then they come out right, like the salami one below.

I took a photo of Max a few minutes before I started cooking. The temp on the floor bricks was 500c:

Before and after of my rectangular special salami pizza:

This one got the tonights vote, antipasto (mainly sundried tomatoes and eggplant) topped with prosciutto right after taking it out of the oven:

The group shot:
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
Those pizza look great.!
Great rise in the crust. The cut bits show that.
That little bit of burnt on the surface only .... The leopoding shows the temps just right.
Minimal toppings... You get enjoy all those flavours and textures and the base is the "hero"
But above all. Not one perfectly round pizza!
Never trust a round pizza
Regards dave
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks Dave.
I find square pizzas are easier to cut (I always cut pizza with scissors) and in my oven it is easier to make larger rectangular pizzas than round ones. That's why lately I've been squaring the circles :) not that they were ever perfect circles ;)
Bear

Post by Bear »

Ripper stuff Narmnaleg, I love it. Well done mate!
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks Bear. Tonight we have guests over and I'm almost doubling the quantities so that I can make more pizza than I've ever made. Geez I hope the logistics work out...
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Well, you've certainly had enough practice :D
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Gumb wrote:Well, you've certainly had enough practice :D
I wish that was the case. Yet every single time I make pizza I do something wrong! :roll:

I need more practice :D
Tipsy

Post by Tipsy »

Great read and pics, keep em coming.
Gumb

Maximus Portable Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Post by Gumb »

You mean like this one made with Laucke brand pizza and focaccia flour. Cooked at 300c with the floor temp at 400c. The best I've done so far.....Image
We made some great focaccias afterwards when the fire died down a bit. Maked them for about 30 minutes at 200c. Sorry, I deleted the pics from the ipad.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Wonderful looking pizza there gumb. I love bubbles in the dough
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
titch

Post by titch »

Gumb wrote:You mean like this one made with Laucke brand pizza and focaccia flour. Cooked at 300c with the floor temp at 400c. The best I've done so far.....Image
We made some great focaccias afterwards when the fire died down a bit. Maked them for about 30 minutes at 200c. Sorry, I deleted the pics from the ipad.
That's one of the nicest looking Pizza crusts I have seen since Sosman opted out. that looks delish
Cheers
Titch
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

That pizza looks awesome Gumb! Yum!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Thanks boys, it was so light it nearly floated off the table. Definitely using that flour again,
Tipsy

Post by Tipsy »

I just noticed this forum doesn't have a 'drool' emoticon.