Cooking pizzas in the wood oven - Bear Style

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Bear

Cooking pizzas in the wood oven - Bear Style

Post by Bear »

I love cooking with solid fuels and I love BBQ, hence the reason for joining this forum. I have learnt so much from the pages of questions, answers, experiences and information posted here, so I thought I'd share some of my knowledge in one of the not so commonly posted topic areas that I am able to contribute. I built my pizza oven over 3 years ago & I'm really happy with it.

There are two main cooking methods I use in the wood oven:

1. The Panificio method: less commonly used to make pizza in modern domestic ovens & the method I discuss below. Commonly used in wood ovens of large Italian families to cook lots of pizzas in a short period of time. This is also used to cook roast meats and fish, bread, whole roasted pig and pastries where the food is cooked with a falling temperature.

2. The Pizzeria method: With a hot oven and open oven door, maintain a small fire on one side of the oven, whilst on the other side the pizza is cooked directly on the oven’s floor. This is commonly used by wood oven pizza restaurants and can be maintained over long periods. Discussion of this method is for another thread perhaps.

Panificio:

Heat the oven with a long burn to approx 50'C above the desired temperature or wait until the walls & ceiling of the oven turn completely white & maintain for about 1 hour (this would vary greatly from oven to oven), by burning enough wood down to small coals that can be spread evenly across the oven floor. Drag the coals out and remove with a rake & shovel. Before the next step ensure the pizzas are ready to go - close the door whilst making them to retain oven temp if necessary.

Using a very well rinsed wet mop & bucket (I have a dedicated mop for this, never touched chemicals) not gushing wet, but dripping a bit of water, 'mop' the floor of the oven well - I do this twice, rinsing the mop in-between. This limits ash getting on the pizza and adds humidity to the oven encouraging 'oven spring' from the dough.

Check the temperature with a laser thermometer, (I aim for about 360'C) then load up the oven with pizzas, and shut the door. Set the timer for 2 minutes and wait. After 2 minutes check the top for golden bubbly cheeseness, check under the base for a deep brown colour, and as I make a thick base, I sometimes check under a large piece of topping for signs of remaining dough 'gooeyness' to see if it requires a bit longer, when I'm uncertain. Repeat the process until all the pizzas are cooked, lengthening the cooking time between each cycle and checks and per cycle, as the temperature will drop.

ImageImage
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
beachbums

Re: Cooking pizzas in the wood oven - Bear Style

Post by beachbums »

Great post there Bear. I'm sorta toying with the idea of building a pizza oven and your giving me a bit more urge to do it.

Cheers, Wayne
gindemon

Post by gindemon »

So much awesome info. Thanks matey
"The Meat Sweats" Competitive BBQ Team
Port Macquarie 2014 - 1st
Bangalow 2014 - 1st
2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Great looking Pie Brother!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bear

Post by Bear »

Thanks for the responses folks.

Wayne, if you have the space I recommend it, however it does take time & dedication to build and also to get value out of. I don't regret it for a second, but I sometimes wish I used it more often

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Hi Bear, Did you use a kit when you built yours or is it all home made? Pop up some pics for us to drool over, we LOVE pics!

Cheers, Wayne
Bear

Post by Bear »

beachbums wrote:Hi Bear, Did you use a kit when you built yours or is it all home made? Pop up some pics for us to drool over, we LOVE pics!
Yes, I purchased a kit from Al Forno, in Adelaide and installed it myself, with the help of my Italian father-in-law.
I think i have posted some of these pics before but most of the build pics are in my laptop that currently has a virus, hopefully I can retrieve them soon.