BUILD or PRE-FAB PIZZA OVEN

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Gary.B

Post by Gary.B »

Hi Guys.

i'm wishing to setup a pizza oven for my Dad & Mum for everything they have done for me. i'm a fair biulder but i'm time poor as i work 12hour night shift at the meat work. of cause it got to be wood fire as Dad & Mum love food cooked on or over in or around wood fires. money not a worry but time is, so could i biuld one pizza oven in 4 days as i'm thinking of buildidg it on a 4 day break when Dad & Mum go to New Zealand for a wedding in May plus it's going to be my long week end. or would i be better getting a kit? all advice is welcome. Gary.B
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

There a guy on eBay selling precast oven kits. One piece oven so no joins which would cut down the building time.
roosterman

Post by roosterman »

Send jocool a msg as im sure it was his uncle doing those ebay ovens .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bear

Re: BUILD or PRE-FAB PIZZA OVEN

Post by Bear »

Hi Gary.B

I built my own from a kit (approx 3 - 4 yrs ago) and it took me longer than 4 days. This included building a level concrete foundation though. If this is already in place then 4 days should be achievable for someone experienced. I am no builder or brick layer and my kit took me probably 4+ days and I had some assistance for 2 of those days. The bricked base took 2 days from memory, including the hebal slabs for the oven to sit on.

I might see if I can dig up some photos of my build, if anyone is interested.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Bear

Post by Bear »

I managed to find some photos of my build, still hunting for more detailed pics, but here are some: Image
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

I'm with Bear I had never layer a brick before I built my oven. Took me three weekends including building the stand and base.

Got the kit from a mob in Perth. It included all the components except the sand n cement

From memory around $1500
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I don't know a thing about pizza ovens worthy of note but I do know about brick laying. With only four days you are at the mercy of the weather, depending upon where you are rain could make the build either unwise or at best a miserable experience.

Cheers
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

talisker63 wrote:I'm with Bear I had never layer a brick before I built my oven. Took me three weekends including building the stand and base.

Got the kit from a mob in Perth. It included all the components except the sand n cement

From memory around $1500
Hi Talisker, Off topic a bit but would you still have the details of the mob you gotyour kit from?
Number One Son is thinking of building one one day.
Cheers, Wayne
beaver

Post by beaver »

pizza ovens is the one area im also very interested in.
you see them range fom 400 to 5000+
from what i can gather there is some real science behind insulation, the thickness of the base firebricks and temps which really peaks my interest.
Being that many build their own and dont tend to do calculation on mass, dome height to flute and opening sizes ect ect it makes it really hard for many to make an informed choice.

I would also love to learn more and will watch this thread closely to see what i can learn :)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Rado is your man! Check out his website: http://www.traditionaloven.com/

All the info you could want and a CD with plans etc!

Ubercool dude as well!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Aldrich65

Post by Aldrich65 »

I built a "site-built" oven from a kit from Earthstone. Not only am I not an oven building expert, I had never before built anything even near this advanced. The main reason I went with the site-built option was for it's much lower cost. But even if cost hadn't been a factor, building it myself gave me the opportunity to build-up the materials around the oven for better insulation and a greater thermal mass than recommended by the manufacturer. I bake pizzas and bread maybe 2-3 times per week with 3-4 pies/loaves per session. Once it reaches baking temp, a small fire to the side is all that is needed, mainly so I can see the progress of the pie and to help cook the top.