New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Luke Clarkson

Re: New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Post by Luke Clarkson »

Few pics would be awesome. Mine is going to on a wall in a garden so will be in the weather a little too.
Is there plenty of room in it
A mate has a traditional dome and I think he lose's some space with the shape of it.
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Here's some pics I just took. It's quite dirty and dusty sorry lol.

This is the side that is quite protected from weather, as you can see at the front is a bit of smoke residue left which I would think is normal for any pizza oven as you work with the front door off most the time. Would think it will scrub off but seeing as it happens everytime I use it I just wipe the easy/excess stuff off and leave it :oops: .

You can see the flu finish is going a bit but it's only single skinned and got discoloured first time I used the oven as I got it too hot, if you look at the rear (where the fire is normally once started) it too discoloured when I had it too hot. Normal I think for stainless though so I'd try not to get your oven that hot lol, no need for it I found to ever be heated up that much.

Here's a pic of the side that gets most of the weather, doesn't look any different really to me than the protected side.

Size is hard to say, it looks to have more room in it than some of the traditional types I've seen. It's quite a decent size I think and is the largest I've seen in this style/type of pizza oven. There's specs of external/internal sizes of this oven here http://www.sqcinternational.com.au/tunn ... a_oven.htm
Cheers
Budgetburner
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hey Budget,

Ammonia will disolve the tar from the smoke.....easy peasy!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Thanks for the info Chris, will try that when I give it's next clean. Didn't really want to use anything that would scratch as the oven has a kind of brushed finish which I like the look of. We've used the oven a lot more than we had thought we would :D
Cheers
Budgetburner
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Nice oven!...that pot holder is a bit Gay though! :shock:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

lol, it's the wife's "owl" tea towel. Everything Owls seems to be the in thing for girls/women atm and the wife loves owls, I thought seeing as she bought me the BBQ and oven I'd let her have her tea towel hahaha. Hanging towels like that seem to work well though as they don't blow away, just need to find one with a naked woman on a bike or hot car 8)

I'm a real tough guy and don't use pot holder's I use my bare hands (well to hold my hardwood stick with claws on the end lol)... Or I have a big silicone oven mitt somewhere, it's pretty good actually if I could just remember where it's hiding :roll:

Problem is the outdoor kitchen worked out so well the wife likes to cook out there too, mind you I'll admit I like that we often cook/work together preparing a meal.
Cheers
Budgetburner
paulj

Post by paulj »

Hi BB
I have just bought one of these SS ovens.
They are a great machine.
So far we have done wings, pulled pork, chickens, slow lamb and the results have been very tasty
I am having all sorts of trouble with PIZZA of all things. In the electric oven they come out great
Tried several doughs but they all turn to soggy mess

Can you share your dough recipes please.

I'll post some pictures on the next cook

Thanks
Paulj
I take charcoal to the next level
Gumb

New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Post by Gumb »

paulj wrote:H
Paulj
I take charcoal to the next level
Please explain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

G'day Paul,

mate we haven't settled on which dough we prefer, they all vary and have pro's 'n cons. Sometimes we use quick ferment/instant use through to longer fermenting types, they all work for us though. What kind of heat/temp are you cooking at, how thick is the base/dough and what kind of toppings.

If your heavy with the toppings it can cause this kind of issue, but you can often get away with cooking at a lower temp for a bit longer for that. If you want a quick easy dough to try there's a ok ready-made one you can buy at a lot of supermarkets for about $2-$3 and makes about 4 large pizza's. It's in the fridge sections to stop the rising/yeast action (not the cooked/formed bread type pizza bases, it's still wet dough this one).

I can give you some of our dough recipes if you like but there just different ones of the internet and out of basic cook books. It might just be a bit of trial and error till you get things working how you like them. We had a few flops to start with :oops: lol, I'm sure we all do until we perfect things even if people don't say so :lol:

I'd say mostly though look at your heat temp/cooking time Vs dough thickness/moisture Vs topping amount until you get a result that your happy with. If they can work in your normal oven theres no reason you can't produce the same results in the wood oven. Just use the same kind of temps/cooking times maybe?
Cheers
Budgetburner
paulj

Post by paulj »

Thanks BB
I have used the basic recipe that came with the oven and had some good success
I think each pizza costs about $200 so far
I also had some good results with wings and whole chickens

Need to do more work on temperatures as you suggest
For the money it cost the result is pleasing

Thanks
Paulj
wheels50

Post by wheels50 »

Hey folks... first time poster.

Purchased one of these recently. We're firing her up for her maiden voyage tomorrow. BB is there anything I should be wary of?

I'll post some results if they're not totally cremated. :lol:
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

G'day Wheels50,

Firstly I'd give it a good clean before it's first use in case it has any protective oils/films on the outside steel that may discolour etc. Be careful not to make a big fire and watch the temps (unlike my first couple of uses :oops: ) as too hot and the outside steel will discolour. Oh you may know this already but don't start the fire at the back of the oven, do it near the front (I start mine under the flu) and leave the door off till the fire is well lit/going well. It wont light/burn real easy to start with at the rear, so do it near the front and once the fire is really going then push it all near the back of the oven.

Doesn't need to be right against the back just near it, try to keep it from touching the back and sides of the oven to help prevent/lesson discolouring from heat. The flu will discolour from heat as it's only single skinned. Oh if the adjustable vent for the flu gets stiff or at other times too loose it's because it has only one nut holding it on in the inside, put a second nut on it as a locking nut and this will fix that.

I don't use firelighters as pizza's are normally cooked directly on the floor/base so I use tinder/kindling and a el cheapo gas blowtorch to get the fire started. But yeah main thing is start the fire near the front until it's really going well and be careful to not put too much wood in or you will get crazy hot temps. Preheating is quicker than a earth type pizza oven but if your after hot temps allow a good 45-60 mins.

Only other thing I can suggest is think about what else you might like to cook if you want to make the best use of the wood, we often cook bread and deserts as well to make use of it or sometimes a meal for the next day. Other than that give it a clean once in a while with some stainless steel cleaner and you should be good.

What you thinking of cooking? We love using the wood oven, think it's one of the best things I've bought in a long time.
Cheers
Budgetburner
wheels50

Post by wheels50 »

Hey BB... thanks so much for your very detailed advice. :D

We did our first run with pizzas on the weekend. While they were promising I think there's going to be a bit of a learning curve with it. The first pizzas cooked wonderfully well but the oven temp seemed to drop quite dramatically with subsequent pizzas. I guess half the fun is in the learning though. :lol:

I'll keep you updated as we use it more.]
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

What temp was the oven or more importantly what temp was the floor where you cooked them? Your cooking at the front of the oven and when cooking pizza's normally with the door left off, this does mean the front area/floor will loose heat as cool air flows over it. If your cooking pizza's at lower temps for longer periods it may work to try with the door on to maintain heat.

Or if cooking several pizza's over a period of time put the door back on the oven between cooks to let the oven build up a little again, I have found when cooking many pizza's that I do need to stop for a 5min break and put the door on and make a couple more pizza's ready to go. If there was quite a period of time between it may have been you might have needed to add a little more fuel/wood? It is like you said, it's a learning thing and getting to know the oven and how it holds heat and for how long etc. I enjoy using it a lot but have always enjoyed cooking with wood fires.

Keep at it and try different things and don't limit yourself to just pizza, these are awesome for cooking anything and a world of fun and tasty food to explore hehehe. I've gained a bit of weight though :oops:
Cheers
Budgetburner
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Hi wheels, whether its a pizza oven, weber kettle, kamado etc, they all take a bit of practice to understand the way they work. It's half the fun as has been said. And once you've mastered the thing, it's satisfying top know that others around you are in awe ! Keep it up, let us know how you go (we've all had failures too) and welcome to the forum.