New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Budgetburner

New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Post by Budgetburner »

Hi guys,

just thought I'd share about my new stainless steel pizza oven I bought as part of my outdoor kitchen project. We bought the pizza oven on eBay for a great price and it was delivered the very next day, fantastic service and good communication, spoke to the seller over the phone a few times. Here's a pic of the outdoor kitchen, looking to the right you can see the pizza oven.

EDIT: for those that like the whole kitchen/area there's a thread here on it, click!

Here's a side photo, you can also see there's a small ash draw at the rear for easy clean ups

It is a heavy bugger to say the least, anyways it came on a boxed pallet and you open it up. Put the lower shelf/stand together and then just lift the top up onto the stand (with some help from others as it's well over 100kg) and that's it your done. It also came with a stainless steel pizza peel, cutter and pizza slice. It's quite a large size inside and if your brave/quick enough I'm sure you could do 2 to 4 pizza's at a time but I'm happy doing them one at a time :oops: .

Takes about 30-45mins to heat up and it can get very hot, we had temps of over 700c degrees in there when warming up. I've not taken many photos of what we've been cooking yet as it's been dark out there and once stuff is cooked we wanted to eat it lol, not stand around looking at it and taking pics. We did a awesome slow cooked beef roast in it the other day as well, man you have to love potato's cooked in a wood oven.

Anyway, back to pizza lol.

Here we are all fired up

The floor temps were a bit hot so I left the oven open for a while and till temps come down to under 400c, I like 300c-350c.

Taking a floor temp reading

Bah, stuff waiting longer, throw a pizza in already.

Damn, don't walk away to get a beer...there's no time for that with 2 min pizza's lol....Damn that ovens HOT...

First ones just a basic meat job for the kids....no photos of ours as by the time we'd been drooling over the kids pizza's while cooking them when ours was done it we just ATE! lol. Will try for more photos as we do more and as I get lights set-up.
Last edited by Budgetburner on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Budgetburner
gnol

Re: New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Post by gnol »

Very nice.
I like mine with hot salami.olives and anchovies.
Plus extra chilli.

See you on the weekend. :lol:
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Not made a pizza with chillies in there yet but we do love our HOT food, we grow our own Butch Taylor ones to make our own HOT sauce, oils and flakes. They are so hot the wife has to wear gloves just to touch them, Hmmm...Will have to try some next time :twisted:

I think we tend in general to put too much toppings on our pizza's, need to lighten the load a little.
Cheers
Budgetburner
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

That Thing is Beautiful!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

OnDeckKitchens

Post by OnDeckKitchens »

Nice one! That oven looks great and the results have my mouth watering.. How much did this unit cost you??
On Deck Kitchens - Melbournes no. 1 Custom Outdoor Kitchen Builder
www.ondeckkitchens.com.au
brent@ondeckkitchens.com.au
0404-767-331
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

lol, which thing? The Pizza or the Oven :mrgreen:

I'm totally enjoying the whole outdoor kitchen, even with it raining and hailing here this last week every meal has been made outside. We used the pizza oven in direct rain/hail the week before because we didn't have any under cover area. It's going to be great once the 12v system and LED lighting is in and once it starts to warm up I doubt we'll use the kitchen inside much as all.

I'm starting on lighting today, wish the 2 posts I'm waiting on would turn up. Need the shade-sail up and the fire pit in, be nice keeping warm by a open fire eating pizza sipping some red 8)
Cheers
Budgetburner
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

OnDeckKitchens,

The pizza oven cost me $895 (sale price, though I think they still have them listed at that price.) and about $45 delivery and that was interstate as they are in Melb or Syd I think. The delivery guy even put the oven where I wanted it in the backyard, they have a lifter etc and wheel it into place. Awesome delivery price, don't know how they can do that for something this size and weight.

Once built it's pretty easy to move too as it's on 4 HD casters, two have brakes. It would also be a dead easy oven to do built in if someone wanted as it just sits on-top of the base/stand. It heats up quite quickly for a pizza oven and holds heat fairly well but I will say now even though it's insulated etc it won't hold heat for extended periods like a good true masonry oven. But then those ovens take many hours to heat up, like all things there's trade-offs.

The design of it looks pretty good to me, it's a good width and has good depth too. Nice round low roof, refactory bricks or whatever they call them for the bottom, flu near the front of the oven etc. The unit would look a little better than mine does in these pics as mines been out in the rain and dirt (been very dusty here) for almost a month now maybe.

I've been lazy and not bothered cleaning it yet :oops: , it's not 304/316 grade stainless....it does seem to be weathering well, though it's only been a short period we do live close to the water/beach. I think it's 430 SS most likely, it should keep well if cleaned/protected with a good stainless cleaner though mines mostly under cover-ish now lol so that should help too.

The front door is only single skin so it does discolour as does the flu and the very back of the oven a little, the back of the oven may be my fault as the first time I had the fire too big/hot and I pushed it right to the very back as well that first time. But it's hardly noticeable, only real discolour is the flu and top front of oven arch but I'd expect that with the heat and smoke coming from those areas with any wood oven.
Cheers
Budgetburner
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Why stop at just pizza's.....First try at pastry, going to take a little bit to perfect control of oven temp.

But man these home made sausage rolls are the best, YUM! 3 flav's so everyone's happy, Plain, Onion-Garlic-Parsley and my special chilli cheese (home grown Butch Taylor chilli) :twisted:

Hmmm, oven's still hot......what to do?????? :roll: :idea: :mrgreen:
Cheers
Budgetburner
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Bentley wrote:That Thing is Beautiful!
+1, outdoor project too!
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Budgetburner wrote:Why stop at just pizza's.....Hmmm, oven's still hot......what to do?????? :roll: :idea: :mrgreen:
Ok well thought I might do a red wine, thyme, leak and black pepper beef roast. Sounds good, bah, only got a cheap bit of bolar to roast...betta make it a slow one.........

Dang, little too slow, now I have pulled red wine/thyme and pepper beef :shock:

Opps, that's whats left hehehe :twisted:

As always we're a keen to eat lot so wasn't any before pics of the beef roast lol, but here's what's left-over

Oh and we had vege's and Yorkshire pudding with gravy with it as well.

Cheers
Budgetburner
titch

Post by titch »

Good to see your using your toy mate :wink:
Cheers
Titch
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Looks great. I see pinnacle wholesalers have now got a similar one on eBay. (They used to bring in the royal kamados)
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Yeah, I noticed Pinnacle selling a couple of different styles of SS pizza oven. They used to sell one that looked the same as the unit I got but when I was ready to buy they didn't seem to be doing them. The other ones didn't interest me as much, they aren't as deep and are a little wider. I didn't have room for wider and BBQ spit rotisseries (SQCInternational) had a sale price too.

I did buy the outdoor kitchen/BBQ from Pinnacle though and have had dealings with them before on a few things.
Cheers
Budgetburner
smokeaddict

Post by smokeaddict »

Nice one, BB !
At 700C how long does a pizza take to cook ?
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Don't laugh too hard but I have tried, :roll: lol. Doesn't cook, everything just instantly ignites and burns :oops:
Cheers
Budgetburner