New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
wheels50

Re: New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Post by wheels50 »

Thanks BB and Gumb. Yep if it wasn't challenging I guess we'd get bored quickly with these things. At least we get to eat the results of our experiments. :lol:
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Just thought I'd do a update for those that were asking about how the oven was keeping, well remember the photos on the previous page? Well we just did a clean of the oven seeing as it's been several months :oops: , it was dirty in the last lot of photos. We also tried a different cleaner and man, I'm amazed. Just about all the dis-colour I thought was from heat cleaned up and with a little gentle scrubbing even the door and top front of oven came up like new.

So the oven seems to weather/wear very well indeed, better than I had originally thought. We also bought a cover for it to help keep it clean but also to keep the wood under it dry as well, not a bad cover and drops almost to the ground so protects everything. Will see how the cover fairs and lasts with time but it looks decent enough and will mean less cleaning :mrgreen:

Here's a couple quick snaps to show it's current condition just after a clean.

Looks like new again :mrgreen:

edited to add more images

We've done a little more work and added some other things to the entertainment area but when I take some pics will post them in the other thread showing how it's looking these days
Cheers
Budgetburner
BBQSpitRotisseries

Post by BBQSpitRotisseries »

G'day Budgetburner,

We recommend Bar Keepers Friend as a stainless steel cleaner - What did you use to get your oven back looking that sharp... PS is it ok with you to use a picture of yours on our site http://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/fl ... pizza-oven

Thanks!
Our biggest passion is Charcoal Cooking

We hope to assist the BBQ community with quality topics and advice

Our Vendor Section Forum

Our YouTube Channel

http://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au

Kegerator

Post by Kegerator »

Thanks for sharing your info.

first post here so be kind :)

I bought a similar stainless steel pizza oven...pretty happy with it!

Few questions, can you let me know the steps you took to light the fire in the oven?
Did you light a stack of wood at once? Or did you start small then add wood gradually?
And after the fire started did you immediately close the front door?
Did you leave the flute vent open and the ash catcher vent open also ?

sorry for the questions...I did my first "lighting" on the weekend and worked out I should have close the front door earlier.

I am interested if you found the right method for quickly heating your oven.

Thanks,
Keg.
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

G'day Keg,

Ok I use small bits of kindling and softwood woodchips and a blowtorch to light up the kindling quickly, I don't like to wait too long for it to start burning lol. I put the wood directly under the flu/vent so it gets good airflow exchange and burns hotter/quicker. Then once I get it going good I put the hardwood on (normally redgum for me) and wait 10 mins, then put the door on and let it get going good, or close to working temp I'm after.

Then I move the fire to the back of the oven with a wirebrush/scraper tool for pizza ovens (used to use a metal garden rake) and I keep the hardwood fire going and top up if/when needed back there. If you light the fire at the back it takes ages and is very difficult to get burning well, I don't think the airflow/convection works well until you get decent heat/fire going first.

When starting and getting up to the operating temp I'm after I keep flu vent fully open, I only reduce vent openings to reduce/control cooking temps once heated up and then close them when finished to kill off the fire and keep the charcoal that's left for re-using. I dislike waste and I'm a tight-wad lol.

I guess I get a fair sized fire going right from the start or pretty close to it, I don't like to use paper or firelighters as I cook directly on the ovens floor with a lot of things. That's why I use the gas blowtorch, and the fact I don't like waiting long for the fire :twisted:
Cheers
Budgetburner
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

BBQSpitRotisseries wrote:G'day Budgetburner,

We recommend Bar Keepers Friend as a stainless steel cleaner - What did you use to get your oven back looking that sharp... PS is it ok with you to use a picture of yours on our site http://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/fl ... pizza-oven

Thanks!
Missed replying to your post sorry, I use the Bar Keepers Friend. Damn good stuff and works a treat and I don't mind if you use a image of mine, will sort it out via email soon as I get a chance. I think I need to give it a quick clean again first opps lol, been so busy last couple of weeks haven't had a chance to scratch myself.
Cheers
Budgetburner
Kegerator

Post by Kegerator »

Many thanks Budgetburner!!

Yep my approach was to the same as you, fire under the flute with kindling and 2 small logs - all vents open.
This got going well (I used firelighters but I understand why you might not use these if cooking directly from the stone!).
Think my mistake was keeping the oven door open too long while getting the fire up to a hot state - 5-6 small-medium sized logs burning well - good fire.
I think I waited about 50 mins since lighting to close the front door - way too long by the sound of it??
After closing the front door I left the flute vent open, and back grate slightly open also - to keep feeding the fire with oxygen ?
Should I simply leave the flute vent open after the fire is burning well?
The temperature only got to 300 degrees.
This was still ideal for my pizzas which turned out great!
but I was hoping to get the temperature to 350 degrees in 30 mins.

think this weekend the trick will be to close the door roughly 10 mins after putting on the hardwood as you say!

thanks!
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Trial 'n error my friend, but yeah 50 mins is too long. I'd be cooking by/around then, once the fire is going well you should be able to put the door on. If worried put it on with the top right in but a small gap at the bottoms so the door is on but at a angle. This should allow heat to start building up and cool air to be forced drawn in, once the hardwood is burning well you can close the flu a bit and this will see the temp rise a little more but only to a small point and then it will reduce the airflow and start to reduce the temps.

Too much and it'll bring it right down and even kill the fire if left long enough, I don't bother with pulling the grate out at all (unless cleaning ash out) I just use the flu control mostly and sometimes the door cracked a tiny bit at the bottom if really needed. While going trough trial 'n error have a bit of fun it's only wood but be careful not too add too much and not to fan it as man you can get some scary heat going.

300 degrees should be fine for pizza's, 350 is ok but I try to not go above that if I can these days. If your like us and are a little heavy on the toppings 250-300 is enough and let them cook a little longer. Oh and I normally take my temp readings from the stone floor rather than the temp gauge on the door, sometimes it may take a extra 10-15 to get the heat up, really depends on the wood and how well you get it going.

Some timber I have used burns easy but didn't burn as hot and some I have found is way to smoky/sooty, so good wood should give better results. Should be able to get the oven to a 300-350 around the 30 mins to hour, I don't really time it sorry but think that's about right. Trick is don't stress at it, try to enjoy it and have fun....it's not instant like gas and demands patience but it's quite fun and very rewarding and we all think the taste is far better.
Cheers
Budgetburner
Kegerator

Post by Kegerator »

Cheers again Budgetburner.

will give it another crack this weekend...with your points noted !

what i did find, is that at 300 degrees the pizzas cooked perfectly. Roughly 4-5 mins to be cooked perfect. I turn the pizza around so that each half copped a roasting of the fire.
However, i do read that 350 degrees is best temperature...but I guess i'll work it out as you say.

I also notice that you have the same oven as me :)

Regards,
Keg.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Kegerator wrote:However, i do read that 350 degrees is best temperature...but I guess i'll work it out as you say.
It really depends on what type of pizza you wish to make. A Neapolitan style pizza with a puffy soft crown (crust) and few toppings needs 400c. If you get your oven to 350c chances are that you can get it to 400c in the spot where you're cooking the pizza (as long as the oven can take it), an infrared thermometer will help to get a temp reading of where the pizza is placed. At that temp your pizza will be ready in approximately 60-90 seconds and you'll probably need to turn it after 40-45 seconds. The great thing about cooking at these temps is that you get pizza characteristics that you simply can't achieve at lower temps and you'll be able to churn them out in quick succession as they are ready so quickly.

That's not to say that you can't make a delicious pizza at 300c (or even 200c), but these will generally have a crunchier finish (or be thicker and oilier) and take longer to cook.
I love them all, but 400c pizza is my favourite.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Hi it looks great I had a look at one up close in Bunnings.
Do they hold heat for a long time to be able to do a slow cook or is it more fire it up cook a few things and it cools down.
The chimney would probably lose heat fairly quickly if you closed it up for an overnight slow cook?
Does the door get hot?
chilling while grilling
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Pizza ovens like thses are not great for low and slow. You would be tending a fire the whole time to try and keep it at the right temperature. If low and slow is your thing, look at a kamado or a pellet cooker.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I tossing up between a Komado or a WFO
WFO is the preferred option but weight is an issue as I want it on the balcony.
I was wondering if you could hack this oven to be a lighter weight substitute.
Looking at it
It would require thermal mass inside the dome to retain heat.
A fairly well insulated door and the ability to close down the chimney.
Probably all doable
chilling while grilling
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

If you want a reasonably light weight wood fired pizza oven which can sit comfortably on a small table and do a great job, then read here:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 40&t=14203

I used mine again last night for pizza and have roasted in it as well. The seller is a genuine guy too.
paulj

Post by paulj »

I have one for sale in the flea market section $600 pick up
Paulj