New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
Noonan02

Re: New Stainless steel Pizza Oven

Post by Noonan02 »

Hi BB, do you still have your pizza oven and how is it looking now (a couple of years on) . I am thinking to buy one the same and am interested to hear if you still use it as much and if it has stood the test of time.
Thanks and regards Ben
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

G'day Ben,

We still love it mate and use it often, it's normally a toss up between the SS Pizza oven or the Off set smoker these days but we have slowed down on using the outdoor kitchen the last 8 months or so. But that's mostly because of a few other family health issues and not being home much over this period. How does it look, well dirty and dusty right now lol but when I clean it with that Bar Keepers friend stuff it pretty much comes up looking as good as brand new. Except the flue which colours etc with the heat, clean up fine and has no rust just doesn't clean up like new like the rest of the oven.

Ash grate has a slight sag in it as expected from high temps and extended use but nothing wrong with it at all. For the most part when we give it a clean you'd think it was new and we live within 2k from the beach. It's not exposed to the weather all year round like it was for the first year, we bought the cover they now have for the oven to help keep it protected a bit. The cover has sun faded a bit but still fine.

What else can I say, it works same as it always did and we still think it's great. I doubt we will ever get rid of it and it'll most likely out last me, if it doesn't I'll want another Pizza oven for sure. We certainly do enjoy it.
Cheers
Budgetburner
Noonan02

Post by Noonan02 »

Thanks for the quick reply! I might be able to get one before Easter now. It's very confusing trying to figure out which oven to buy, thanks again your posts have been great.
Cheers Ben
BRP

Post by BRP »

budgetburner - can I ask which seller you bought from? I'm interested in getting a WFO but not sure which one to get. Yours seems to have held up well!
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Howdy BRP,
Yeah mate, it was BBQ spit rotisseries (pretty sure that's the name) and if I remember correctly I got it via eBay but they have a website and shop. Seemed like good people (had a couple of phone calls with them) but never went to them as I'm in a different state. They are in melb or Sydney I think, their website would tell you and have a contact number etc if your interested.

We used our pizza oven just last night, had friends down from QLD and made ciabatta bread to dip in olive oil and then dukkah for snacks. Then did some different flav sausage rolls, I like cheese 'n chilli. I took a pic actually but it's little dirty atm, need to give it a clean. Cleans up easy, think it's like about 3 years old almost now though or getting close. We're still very happy with it.

Cheers
Budgetburner
BRP

Post by BRP »

Thanks Budgetburner for getting back to me. We move into our new place in a month and this is the first purchase. The OH has been promising me he would build me one for years and I have given up waiting!

Do they get very hot? Just thinking if it needs to be kept away from the windows and glass pool fencing
titch

Post by titch »

Cheers
Titch
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

BRP wrote:Thanks Budgetburner for getting back to me. We move into our new place in a month and this is the first purchase. The OH has been promising me he would build me one for years and I have given up waiting!

Do they get very hot? Just thinking if it needs to be kept away from the windows and glass pool fencing
Yeah, they get pretty hot. Too hot to touch comfortably and might even burn, though I don't touch it lol. I could actually measure the outside temp for you if you like when the inside is really hot, I wouldn't know if it gives off enough heat to be a problem with glass. You wouldn't want the front or flu near glass but that would be the same with any big heat source. Dunno about that one, I keep mine 15cm or more away from the timber at the back. I'd be on the careful side of things and keep it a little bit of distance to breathe, next time I get a fire going I'll take a radiant temp reading.

It gets hot enough to melt those plastic bread bags if they touch, had that happen once.
Yeah, that's them. They've got up a bit in price I notice, though I think we got a pre/sale special or some such deal on eBay getting close to maybe 3 years ago now. I've seen other BBQ places about sell ovens that look like ours as well since back then but no idea if they are the same oven or not. Oh I should add (not sure if mentioned in this thread already) we have one of their covers over the oven when not in use for periods for almost 2 years (bought it later after initial purchase) and while it's a decent cover and is working fine it has faded grey in places. Still seems in very good order, just faded in the direct sun areas.
Cheers
Budgetburner
BRP

Post by BRP »

Budget burner, what do you think would be the difference between your oven and the Maximus? I've just got an email saying the Maximus will be available in June and they now have a larger size available.

I'm just not cluey enough to to know the difference between the two but can see both are really well liked. Yours is cheaper :)

Moving date is late May so I want to order something for the new place
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

BRP,
I can't directly compare with the Maximus as I've never used one myself but there is a thread on here you may have already noticed and the owners of them sharing their thoughts. My initial thoughts are that they are similar in ways, yet quite different also, The Maximus has a different look to it (character that may or may not be to your taste) while the type I have is brushed stainless finish, Maximus is a smaller oven (current model) and mine larger

The air-flow set-up is different but should achieve similar results in that the heated air at the back is moved toward the front, both are insulated the Maximus uses tiles I think where mine uses 30mm thick firebricks. Both start up far quicker than a earth type pizza oven, the Maximus would light quicker obviously as it's smaller. It's really got to be your own choice as to what suits you, your needs and wants more.

Maximus will most likely heat up a bit quicker due to it's design and smaller size, where as mine takes slightly longer it may keep a little more of it's stored energy due to greater mass and a larger size provides much more cooking area. I'm still very happy with mine and for me was the right choice, came with the nice large Stainless steel stand and I think these days oven may also come with a cover looking at their website. If I was placed with the same choice again I'd still go with the larger Stainless Oven I have now.

I like the cooking area (space inside) of mine and the stainless finish suits the rest of our area/theme, but in saying that I can't see anything wrong with the Maximus. Will size be an issue where your thinking of having the oven, which do you like the look of more? I just had a good look at pics of the Maximus, "way" too small for me and my needs and also too expensive considering size 'n what's included. Maximus is about 30% smaller over all, YMMV but for me I'm more happy with this one :D
Cheers
Budgetburner
DodgySheep

Post by DodgySheep »

Great thread! I'd love a pizza oven but will have to wait for a bit... I hadn't realised those stainless steel ones on trolleys could be so good.

I also hadn't really thought about the whole time to warm up - 45 mins lighting there and warming up seems a long time if you only cook for 5-10 minutes! Is there any way to really control the temperature, or is it just trial and error? I'd have thought that any changes to fuel or air flow could take quite a while to actually change the internal temperature? And how long does it stay hot? I can't imagine you'd want to put a roast in before it was less than 250 degrees, and you can't really try and set the temperature with any great accuracy...

Finally - where's your fancy thermometer from? Is it an infra-red one? Thanks!
BRP

Post by BRP »

@budgetburner - mine is on its way :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
PizzaMan

Post by PizzaMan »

How is this pizza oven holding up, does it cook good pizzas, how long does it stay warm for, can you cook good roasts ?
Just want more info before I buy one
Thanks
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

Sorry the pictures are gone, haven't worked out a new hosting site since all the drama with Photobucket. Still have the pizza oven and it still looks tops when we clean it. Wife and I both love it though we haven't had much chance to use it throughout winter, life has had a few ups 'n downs that have had us otherwise occupied. Cooks awesome pizza's and mouth watering slow roasts, doesn't hold heat as long as a big thick earthen pizza oven but it does hold heat fairly well considering it heats up far quicker than an earthen oven.

We've cooked 12 hour slow roasts, super high temp pizza's (ready in 2 or 3 mins) and even done low temp things such as pavlova. But with long and slow cooking you will need to maintain heat and add fuel every so often. We still think it's one of the best things we have ever bought, need to get back out there using it more often again. We have used it far more than most would though and it has kept very well. If you want something that holds heat for many hours (all day or overnight) you will need to go with a much heavier earthen design. But we could not be happier with this oven, are you the person who posted on whirlpool? I just saw a post on there about stainless steel pizza ovens
Cheers
Budgetburner
PizzaMan

Post by PizzaMan »

Yes thats me on whirlpool.
How do you cook your pizzas in the oven in a pan or straight onto the bricks.
I have seen the pizza oven in real life and have noticed the bricks are not straight inside does that cause a problem when cooking.