Kettlepizza tombstone, protray and cut down insert

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
landroverphile

Post by landroverphile »

Bit the bullet and got serious. These new improved kits do over 1000f and make amazing pizzas. Finally a true off the shelf alternative to a bricks and mortar wood fired oven. I have received the progrill and tombstone...waiting on insert...will report back with results. 2-4 min pizzas are anticipated! !

Cheers
Hogsy

Re: Kettlepizza tombstone, protray and cut down insert

Post by Hogsy »

Looking forward to seeing how it goes
Have thought about buying one myself
I see there $150US , how much was postage?
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
landroverphile

Post by landroverphile »

Hi mate - sorry for the late reply. The Tombstone is separate from the pizza adaptor kit - there is the stainless bit that has the slot in and handles that makes the webber taller and allows front loading and unloading and then there is the prograte that has a fire basket in the end (a webber one from what I can tell) and the ability to side load and rear load wood/charcoal without taking off the lid. The tombstone itself is massive and would take a 13-14 inch pizza.

The whole lot delivered from amazon is just over $400 (delivery gets you on these things) - yep thats a lot for an add on, but its all stainless and made int he US. Also its much cheaper and more convenient than any decent alternatives. From the reviews its a genuinely great way to do pizza. With the original kit Al made those with 2.5 tonns of bricks and mortar could still raise their noses at it. The latest kit really means that if you are not keen on building a big unit, you dont have to. For me it will live on a veranda and I did not want to have to roll downstairs to a pizza oven. I like the idea of standing around this baby with the flames showing in the slot and having a few beers and just ripping them in and out - 2-4 mins is the usual time with this unit. And it would take a couple of minutes to convert back to a normal kettle webber roaster.

Cheers
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I don't like the thought of my kamado going too high so I'm thinking of using the weber but that add on is way too expensive at $400. A better option is the Akorn from Bunnings for 499. That's something you could rev up really high with no worries.
landroverphile

Post by landroverphile »

Why is the Akorn a better option? Im assuming if is a front loader with heaps of heat over the top of the pizza and will do 2-4 min pizzas....otherwise for my money it falls short and just takes up room on the deck. Also you need a good pizza stone so now the Akorn is what, $150 dearer than the full kettlepizza kit?

Cheers

Cheers
Nath

Post by Nath »

Sounds good, but also expensive, I built a DIY kettle pizza awhile ago for around $50. Was just a trial run but worked well.

Nath
Nath
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Gumb wrote:I don't like the thought of my kamado going too high so I'm thinking of using the weber but that add on is way too expensive at $400. A better option is the Akorn from Bunnings for 499. That's something you could rev up really high with no worries.
In have my kamado sitting on around 400c a lot of the time searing steaks,tuna,pizza never had a problem don't see why you would.
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Busio90 wrote:Sounds good, but also expensive, I built a DIY kettle pizza awhile ago for around $50. Was just a trial run but worked well.

Nath
G'day Nath,
any chance of some photos and/or some instructions or plans please?
Steve
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

NotoriousPIG wrote:
Gumb wrote:I don't like the thought of my kamado going too high so I'm thinking of using the weber but that add on is way too expensive at $400. A better option is the Akorn from Bunnings for 499. That's something you could rev up really high with no worries.
In have my kamado sitting on around 400c a lot of the time searing steaks,tuna,pizza never had a problem don't see why you would.
It got away from me once and I cracked the fire ring. :( I think I had too much heat concentrated in one spot but ever since, I'm a bit wary of going too high but I have had it to 400. I'm much happier doing pizza at about 270 and pretty much have that down perfect. I've tried higher and just seem to burn the base.
landroverphile

Post by landroverphile »

I get that you can get nice results from stock kettle's etc or using the 'broiler and grill" method (grilled top then gas hob/electric hobbing the bottom while the pizza is still in a cast iron pan) etc, but what I am talking about here is a genuine alternative to a wood fired 2 tonn outdoor pizza oven. One that will do massive heat over the top of the pizza so the bottom doesnt burn before the top is WELL done. Of course you can build a pizza kettle set up, but for me it wasnt worth sitting there with my lift arc tig trying to weld together stainless rod and rails to make the base, then purchase stainless sheet and cut and rivet the centre piece. I suppose you could buy rolled sheet steel, but it will look awful in time and if it is galved you have problems unless you can acid it off. Each to their own. The centre piece came today, so I am keen to get it hammering and will post up some pics.

Chers
pasey25

Post by pasey25 »

I can't find the advanced kit on amazon. Shipping via the kettle pizza website is a killer. There is now a local agent in Perth but the shipping is still a killer. Even via sea freight. I want the kit with tombstone and insert, plus the baking steel and it's $530odd sea freighted.

Getting into the territory to consider other options

I also want to build this into a counter top eventually. I'm worried about the heat and how I'd need to design the counter and cabinet underneath to accommodate
pasey25

Post by pasey25 »

I ended up getting one of these with the baking steel lid. Have. Tried it once so far with good results

Still need to get it a bit hotter. Looking forward to having another go after Xmas
freshlyground

Post by freshlyground »

pasey25 wrote:I ended up getting one of these with the baking steel lid. Have. Tried it once so far with good results

Still need to get it a bit hotter. Looking forward to having another go after Xmas
Hey pasey! Just wondering how your kettle pizza combination is going for you? I was looking to get one as I've just gotten a Weber OTG for Christmas. Very pricey, but given the Blackstone pizza oven isn't available in Australia, seems to be the best combination of quality pizza / fun / space saving.

You got any pics of the pies you're knocking out with it?
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I'm in interested in an update too
Thinking about getting one of these- http://m.weberbbq.co.uk/accessory-item?id=181
Should be able to get one to my door for $300
Weber says it will get up to 450c
I'd have to sell my kamado to fund it though :cry:
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
pasey25

Post by pasey25 »

Hi guys

No pics yet but this thing works as advertised. The trick is getting the balance between coals under the tombstone and in the rear firebox to make sure you can have a well cooked base and top.

It's definately good fun to play with.