Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Card Shark

Re: Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Post by Card Shark »

It's certainly an interesting one Terry. I didn't know we had a native Cherry... Cheers!
chriso

Post by chriso »

Any word on quince wood for smoking? My parents just chopped one of their trees up and gave me a bunch of chunks. I’m letting it dry out at the moment but am keen to give it a whirl.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

chriso wrote:Any word on quince wood for smoking? My parents just chopped one of their trees up and gave me a bunch of chunks. I’m letting it dry out at the moment but am keen to give it a whirl.
Totaly fine and from the family of apples and pears.
Lucky fella
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day CS,

Would you pls add Messmate aka Stringy Bark to the Matrix Chart?
Messmate is known by 3 names:- Messmate, Stringybark, Australian Oak http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Wood-Species/messmate
Google hits show it to be a good all rounder BBQ Smoking wood, especially good for oily fish (refer Smokey Mick comment 20/10/12)

We have just added Messmate Smoking Chunks to our site
Last edited by AussieBBQSmoke on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Revision 27. Additions:- Apple Box, Almond, Acerola, Carambola, Quince and Messmate. If I missed any please let me know. CS

AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day CS,

We all appreciate your efforts and your time spent working on this invaluable Smoking Chart. A sincere Thankyou. We now have 70 Australian BBQ Smoking woods classified with relevant foods. What an achievement! It is truly historic to have created this, and the Matrix Chart is now available for all Australians to refer to in our pursuit of exploring our own BBQ Smoking timbers.
I googled U.S. Smoking Woods and could only find 44. We win!
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

My pleasure Terry. Keep them coming all!
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day CS,
if you really want another BBQ Smoking timber, ie #71 for the Chart: The Darwin Fish Market uses Mangrove tree Wood Chips to smoke a lot of their Seafood. The manager of the Market ordered one of our Smoking Barrels to use for Wood Chips, I told him that they were only for compressed sawdust Pellets as Chips go out, but he insisted that Mangrove Chips self smolder the same as Pellets! I asked him for a sample. Google shows that their local Mangrove trees are: Rhizophora stylosa. We don't have the same trees here in Vic, ours are Avicennia marina.[/size]
Darwin Mangrove tree info:- http://www.enjoy-darwin.com/darwin-mang ... ystem.html
Australian Mangrove species:- http://www.mangrovewatch.org.au/index.p ... mid=300032
Wood Chips that self smolder, what next? Auto refilling glasses of Beer? now that, I would buy!
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Very good, next update. CS
laxation

Post by laxation »

Just a heads up - we were just camping in Euroa and my folks ordered a trailer of wood from Euroa Wood. Turned out to be mostly Grey Box with some Red Gum thrown in.
$100 for a trailer load

The guy had a business card off him but I dont have his details. They looked on the IGA noticeboard if anyone is interested in the details. I dont think he advertises anywhere else...

I came home with half a boot load of it ;)
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Nice score Laxation!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I slow smoked a Lamb shoulder on Marri (Red Gum) pellets on the weekend, it was great! Lovely deep smoke flavour with that smell you get summer rains in the bush...and my backyard smelt like heaven!

So I'll vouch for Marri used on Lamb!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day Fellas,

A CEDAR PLANK customer recently pointed out to me that we have CEDAR listed at the bottom of the Matrix Chart as 'Not Recommended for smoking', so I have done some research to clarify this. The conclusion is that Cedar Wood Chips generate too much smoke that easily oversmokes food and makes it taste bitter, BUT a little smoke from a Plank is just right.

http://www.the-grilling-spot.com/wood-chips.html
"Even cedar wood chips are known to smoke a lot. Ironically, cedar scores highly in plank grilling. Softwood chips tend to emit bitter-like smoke"

http://www.cedargrilling.com/art.htm
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Types of wood that is unsuitable or even poisonous when used for grilling. Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc. Also ELM, EUCALYPTUS, SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER wood is unsuitable for smoking.

Cedar planks come to mind but not as a volume source for smoking.
Page 3 post.
westkeasman69

Post by westkeasman69 »

Hello everyone, My name is West, I am a first time user of this forum. I am a newer Australian, originally from the states and living in Ipswich Qld. I am fairly unfamiliar with Australian native woods. That is why I am here, mostly. I Enjoy cooking purely with wood, no gas, no coals,no pellet. Though I don't mind the charcoal and am interested in trying the pellets out.I have been doing some research into the use of Melaleuca or paperbark trees. I have found that Aborigines use the bark to cook in and I have noticed you have it listed here as good to smoke with. But has anyone used, or is it recommended to be used, as the primary fuel source. As in, used in the place of coals or gas. Also are all varieties of paperbark tree recommended for use. I know there are several trees that people tend to call paperbark , they are all very similar but just slightly differ. Also if there is anyone in my area that knows of a place, I can get any other good woods for cooking. All information would be greatly appreciated.