Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
westkeasman69

Re: Australian Native Timber Matrix for Smoking

Post by westkeasman69 »

I wanted to add, but forgot, in my original post ,that I have used fig tree wood, as a fuel source, and to smoke meats with, and It has a very nice,probably milder smoke flavor. I was recently given a fair pile of untreated hardwood timber . It is several varieties mixed in and I just have no idea. Is there any guide for identifying cut hardwoods. Or anyone in my area, Ipswich, Brisbane that would like some wood, for helping me identify some of the wood I have. Thanks in advance for any Information or help.
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day westkeasman69,

I hate to dampen your enthusiasm to use some of the 70 great Aussie Wood smokes that are available here, but is is very difficult to identify cut planks of hardwood, the indicators to species identification include bark, leaves, & fruit(seeds), without a couple of these to assist in deciding what tree it is, you have a great grab bag of Aussie Smoking woods. I have Arborist mates that rely heavily on a large library of thick books containing glossy pictures that assist them to identify trees..

Smoke em if you got em.
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

Here is an example of tree identification, I found that I had a few Messmate trees on my property by closely looking at the fallen leaves under them. The offset oblique leaf is a dead giveaway. The leaf has an uneven offset growth pattern at the base of the stem.
Eucalyptus obliqua is commonly known as Australian Oak, Brown Top, Messmate, and Stringybark. It is a hardwood tree native to south-eastern Australia, and is great for BBQ Smoking.
Find it, chop it, and smoke it!
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Anybody tried yellow box? Picked up a load of split iron bark form a bloke this afternoon who in conversation pointed to a large truckload of yellow he was also splitting. $80 an overflowing bobcat bucket. CS
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

Yellow Box is the hardest timber I have come across, ever. A band-saw blade only lasts 2 days when cutting it into Chunks.
Back yard Chef Mark in Sydney provided a great writeup on using Yellow Box, it is quoted below:-

Mark's test of YELLOW BOX CHUNKS on a 1.6Kg boned rolled shoulder of lamb.
I rubbed the lamb with rosemary leaves, whole mustard seeds, ground black pepper, paprika, salt, ground bay leaves, garlic, and olive oil, and put it in the Pro Q Frontier loaded with about 4/5 of a Heat Beads Charcoasl chimney of Mallee S&B. Starting temp (with the lamb in, as I was in a bit of a rush) was 160c (measured at bottom rack level about 10cm away from the meat). I left the butchers' netting on, as it's normally rated up to about 230c. I originally put a chunk of Yellow Box in when I poured the charcoal into the charcoal basket, but it produced heaps of smoke, so I took it out, adjusted the vents to 5/6th closed (top was 2/3 closed), and waited until the temp came down to 120c, then put the chunk back in. What an amazing, toasty caramel smell!
It took about 1:50 for the internal lamb temp to get to 38c, then I pulled it off the heat (expecting it to coast up to about 43c) and set-up the smoker for searing. I pulled the butchers' netting off and seared over the direct heat until it was a nice, dark brown all over, then served with a dipping sauce of chopped parsley, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a few dashes of habanero sauce. It was hands-down one of the best things I've ever eaten (and I've eaten far and wide). Just about every mouthful, I said "This is so GOOD!". The yellow box smoke on the lamb is an absolute knockout!

When I went back out onto the balcony after dinner, there were two embers still glowing and a decent amount of the one yellow box chunk left, so I put the chunk on the embers and sat there taking-in the amazing smell of the yellow box until the embers turned to ash.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

It's good stuff CS as Terry said.
At 1100kg m3 It's only shaded by a few others, not a bad price too considering is close to the city.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Yer next load will give some a go. Still pulling the splinters out from yesterday. :roll:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

How is that new splitter axe going?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Has anyone used crepe myrtle wood? I've just trimmed one of my trees and I'm tempted to dry and use it in my offset in due course.

Being deciduous it should be ok?

The research I've done seems to say it should be good.... Second post in this thread:
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu ... =9&t=12467
SBW

Post by SBW »

Hi,

Has anyone tried Syzygium luehmanni (small leaf lilly pilly)? Have just trimmed hedges and wondering if safe to use once dry....
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

If the fruit is edible.
However Lillii pilli is a sappy tree. I can't think of it as having a good smell. Also sticks are no good for smoking. too much tannins. Better with hart wood and no bark.
I've got one as a drive way hedge and I've never trimmed anything from it Id consider to use.
BeachedBro

Post by BeachedBro »

Hi guys, just landed at the Mother In laws for xmas and last night she made the best lamb roast I've ever had in her new pizza oven. So smokey ! Anyway I asked why timber she used and she said she's using the tallowwood tree they cut down last year. I haven't seen it mentioned in here. Has anyone had any experience with it? Its magnificent.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

ok so where the hell is everyone sourcing this stuff from... currently paying through the nose for fruit wood!

all this talk about going to a fruit farm / orchard and asking for some must be in utopia because everytime ive tried i would get funny looks...

or must be the way i look :P :mrgreen:
Nath

Post by Nath »

A good start is Aussie BBQ Smoke in the vendor section. Terry will be able to help you out, with fantastic service to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath