YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
beaver

Re: YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Post by beaver »

Some Brisket burgers from the Yoder
IMG_20141027_170719 by Brett Robinson, on Flickr
Nath

Post by Nath »

beaver wrote:Some Brisket burgers from the Yoder
IMG_20141027_170719 by Brett Robinson, on Flickr
Very nice Beaver!
They look bloody good! Love the knife aswell.
Nath
Brett

Post by Brett »

I'm seriously considering buying a Yoder YS640. I've never actually seen one in person, only online. They look great to me, but some members of a BBQ forum in the USA claim that they don't produce enough smoke and that they're not the best to grill steaks on. Is this true? I'm glad I found this forum as I've been looking for an Aussie perspective on this.
Cheers,
Brett
Nath

Post by Nath »

Brett wrote:I'm seriously considering buying a Yoder YS640. I've never actually seen one in person, only online. They look great to me, but some members of a BBQ forum in the USA claim that they don't produce enough smoke and that they're not the best to grill steaks on. Is this true? I'm glad I found this forum as I've been looking for an Aussie perspective on this.
Cheers,
Brett
Hey Brett,
In regards to smoke flavour, pellet grills definitely do not overpower on the "smoke" flavour.
Dave will chime in about the yoders steak grilling ability.
Have a search around and you'll see steaks grilled on the yoder pellet cookers.
With a set of grill grates I recon they would do a pretty bloody good job direct flame grilling.
Pellet BBQs are great and convenient easy to use.
You have a few other option like GMG pellet BBQs, Traeger etc just to confuse you :D
Have a look at them all and make your own decision.
"beaver" a member on here posted a great review about different styles of BBQs. It's a good read and full of information.
I have a GMG pellet that is controllable from WIFI. Love it! And it's portable and can run on 12V so can sit on the back of the ute when camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Pellet cookers are at their best for low and slow cooking but will also roast well and grill with the added grill grates (both Yoder and GMG will do that well). It just depends on what you are looking for in your bbq.

The advantage of pellets is the set and forget nature of them and the ease and convenience of starting up. You should investigate local pellet supply too. Getting them at the right price helps.

If you tell us where you are, there may be a member nearby who can show you one.
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Brett wrote:I'm seriously considering buying a Yoder YS640. I've never actually seen one in person, only online. They look great to me, but some members of a BBQ forum in the USA claim that they don't produce enough smoke and that they're not the best to grill steaks on. Is this true? I'm glad I found this forum as I've been looking for an Aussie perspective on this.
Cheers,
Brett
Hi Brett,
Personally I think they produce just the right amount of smoke cooking at 225F. I have tried Meats cooked on both Pellet & Offset and cannot taste any difference, others from the US have agreed. There are also quite a few different ways to increase the smoke flavour in a Pellet Grill, one way is cook at a lower temperature, there are others.

The Yoder YS series were designed from the ground up to direct flame grill & this is were they excel, the flavour is the best I have tasted.

If you have any questions, please ask them in my vendor section http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=49

Good luck, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
edgy

Post by edgy »

Cheers,
Brett
What is "enough smoke"?

To be frank (and I am comparing yoder pellet and yoder offsets here) if you are running your offset correctly there is a very slight difference in the level of smoke, to my palate the pellet is slightly less, some don't even notice the difference.

There are a few ways to get more smoke if you desire it

Dynamically they're a little different, pellets (all) have fan/s that move much more air through the cook chamber compared to offsets and the like.

When you stack up the benefits of the pellet, they are a great all rounder and great for those of us with busy lifestyles.

I'm sure Dave will chime in on the direct flame grilling! Which by the way they do a kick ass job of!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Brett

Post by Brett »

I live in Newcastle and the nearest supplier that I could find for the Yoders is in Sydney. I've been in touch with the guys at Nicholson and Saville at Eastgardens (near Botany) and Gavin has invited my wife and I to come down and see his YS640 - which we are really looking forward to. We are in the process of building a new house and I'm trying to design my outdoor area. My wife is from the USA and she craves beef ribs, brisket etc. She is a long time fan of charcoal, but from what I've seen the pellet grills look so much easier with less clean up. I'm relieved to read so many positive posts about the Yoders. The US BBQ forum I mentioned earlier had somewhat mixed reviews about the pellet smokers.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Brett wrote:We are in the process of building a new house and I'm trying to design my outdoor area. My wife is from the USA and she craves beef ribs, brisket etc. She is a long time fan of charcoal, but from what I've seen the pellet grills look so much easier with less clean up.
Mate if you're designing your outdoor area I strongly suggest that you design it with more than one BBQ in mind. Keep your wife happy and get a charcoal one as well.
edgy

Post by edgy »

Brett wrote:I live in Newcastle and the nearest supplier that I could find for the Yoders is in Sydney. I've been in touch with the guys at Nicholson and Saville at Eastgardens (near Botany) and Gavin has invited my wife and I to come down and see his YS640 - which we are really looking forward to. We are in the process of building a new house and I'm trying to design my outdoor area. My wife is from the USA and she craves beef ribs, brisket etc. She is a long time fan of charcoal, but from what I've seen the pellet grills look so much easier with less clean up. I'm relieved to read so many positive posts about the Yoders. The US BBQ forum I mentioned earlier had somewhat mixed reviews about the pellet smokers.
You are in good hands there then mate Gav & Derek are great guys and will look after you!

We are very content with just our yoder pellet and our weber kettle... Anything else is really just me indulging. :lol:
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Brett

Post by Brett »

Narmnaleg,
I have thought about getting another BBQ in addition to the YS640. My rationale was to allow me to use the other BBQ whilst doing a long slow cook/smoke on the Yoder. Can you offer any other reasons? I've only ever cooked with a hooded 4 burner gas BBQ, so this is a brave new world for me. How long does it take to get the Yoder and/or a charcoal BBQ up to temperature ready to use? Speaking of charcoal, do you have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Brett
Nath

Post by Nath »

Pellet grill about 10 minutes to get to temp.
Charcoal BBQs about 30+mins.
The humble weber kettle is a great bbq, and is very versatile.
Kamado (ceramic egg shape) BBQs run in charcoal, and and extremely efficient with its used, can be used for low and slow as well as high temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Yes!

And so do a lot of Certified BBQ Judges at Competitions....
Grill Pro Australia wrote:
Brett wrote: They look great to me, but some members of a BBQ forum in the USA claim that they don't produce enough smoke...
Cheers,
Brett
Hi Brett,
Personally I think they produce just the right amount of smoke cooking at 225F.

Good luck, Dave
So true!

Pellet Envy (Rod Gray) & Smoking Triggers (Johnny Trigg), 2 fairly well known Competition teams here, used to do a Competition BBQ Class together, one cooked on FEC Pellet Units, one on a Jambo Evil Stick Burner. Both knew what they were doing and I know person after person who took the class that said they could not tell the difference.
edgy wrote: What is "enough smoke"?

To be frank (and I am comparing yoder pellet and yoder offsets here) if you are running your offset correctly there is a very slight difference in the level of smoke, to my palate the pellet is slightly less, some don't even notice the difference.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Brett wrote:I have thought about getting another BBQ in addition to the YS640. My rationale was to allow me to use the other BBQ whilst doing a long slow cook/smoke on the Yoder. Can you offer any other reasons?
The way I see it if you're designing the area now it's a case of plan for the future. You can start with the Yoder and add other bbqs if and when you wish to, but at least if you design it with that in mind you'll have the right space/layout when the time comes.

I have a couple of recommendations. Firstly a small gas bbq to allow you to grill/roast on fireban days. Secondly a Kamado because:
- it is the cheapest to run.
- it maintains moisture in food like no other bbq I've seen.
- it will give you additional options if you ever have electricity woes.
- a variety of readily available cheap fuel.
- temperature range from low and slow to 300c plus.
- they look great when they are built into a nice cabinet.
- look at the kamado section on this forum for more info, ideas and examples.

Oh and if you have a pizza itch that may one day need to be scratched have a look at the pizza section of this forum. There are now some good options for wood fired ovens that are small and light and do a great job. I'd design that in for the future as well.
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Brett wrote:I live in Newcastle and the nearest supplier that I could find for the Yoders is in Sydney. I've been in touch with the guys at Nicholson and Saville at Eastgardens (near Botany) and Gavin has invited my wife and I to come down and see his YS640 - which we are really looking forward to. We are in the process of building a new house and I'm trying to design my outdoor area. My wife is from the USA and she craves beef ribs, brisket etc. She is a long time fan of charcoal, but from what I've seen the pellet grills look so much easier with less clean up. I'm relieved to read so many positive posts about the Yoders. The US BBQ forum I mentioned earlier had somewhat mixed reviews about the pellet smokers.
Hi Brett,
Wallsend Diggers up in Newcastle cook on two Yoder YS1500 ( which is the large commercial Yoder Pellet Grill ) and apart from the size & the steel on the body is 3/16" thick instead of 10 gauge like the YS640 , the hopper box, electronics & the way it works is the same. Greg the head chef is an awesome bloke & I'm sure he wouldn't mind you going for a look. I sent you a PM ( Message ) already & if you want to take a look at Diggers just let me know. Just so you are aware, the YS640 can also be fully built into an outdoor kitchen if you want this option, we have photos of this on our website.
Bentley wrote: Pellet Envy (Rod Gray) & Smoking Triggers (Johnny Trigg), 2 fairly well known Competition teams here, used to do a Competition BBQ Class together, one cooked on FEC Pellet Units, one on a Jambo Evil Stick Burner. Both knew what they were doing and I know person after person who took the class that said they could not tell the difference.
I know we have discussed this before Bentley, don't get me wrong, I love Offsets and I know folks who swear they can tell the difference in taste between Pellet & Offset cooked food, although from my personal experience both here & in the US if the same meat & prep was used and a blind tasting was held I would put my money on not being able to tell which was cooked on what.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO