Question for those who use Pellet cookers

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Jimmyj

Question for those who use Pellet cookers

Post by Jimmyj »

Old Mate down the road uses a pellet cooker and whilst cooking his dinner we had a power cut, so being a good mate I finished his cook with my Dragon Kamado, Just wondering if anybody has had the same thing happen, and what they have done to overcome the misfortune. I was thinking of advising him of getting a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) board, but decided against it just in case I gave him bad advice, has anyone here had the same bad luck and if so how did you get around it. Thanking the brains trust in advance.

Jim
Dragon Kamado, Weber Kettle free from the side of the road, Lodge Sportsman Grill and a Gasser for Bacon and Eggs
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Question for those who use Pellet cookers

Post by Lovey »

I have a GMG pellet pooper and I haven't had a power outage during any of my cooks thus far, touch wood. I am looking into getting a back up power supply, but haven't progressed past asking a few questions and doing some research.
I would shy away from a UPS, unless it has a really big battery, or it can be modified with a larger battery capacity. They are mostly designed to hold power to a computer long enough to enable you to shut it down safely, not to keep it going for any great length of time. There's a few threads going on other BBQ forums about this, with one in particular going into great detail about different types of UPS, battery capacities, etc.
All the best,
Steve.
Jimmyj

Post by Jimmyj »

Thanks Steve, Ive had a look around and boy you are right so I mentioned to him about looking on the net about pellet poopers as you call it, and he's decided to get a small gas BBQ as a back up. I have a feeling that as we head in Summer we will be seeing a few more power outages.

Once again thanks

Jim
Dragon Kamado, Weber Kettle free from the side of the road, Lodge Sportsman Grill and a Gasser for Bacon and Eggs
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Gents, this is really no problem. If you disconnect the igniter, which is easily done on the Yoder & Louisiana then you can run off a car battery. All you are then running is a fan or 2, control board and auger motor, these all together use hardly any power.
Cheers Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

I operate my GMG Davy Crockett with a JumpStarter when camping or any place that doesn't have electric power. Works great.

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Have a look on eBay for a 12 to 240 volt inverter with enough wattage to run the pooper. They start at about $50 and go from there.

Can plug them into the jump starter or cigarette lighter socket. Great for camping too.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
smoking jim

Post by smoking jim »

Hi Chaps .
I don't have a problem with power outages, my bob grillson has a 12V battery built in works a treat.
Cheers Jim.
Bradley BTDS108CE-6.Bradley Propane Smoker.Kamado Royal.Webber 1982 Kettle.Anuka.Home Build Pellet Pooper,Bob Grillson 2014 Premium with WiFi App.