Wood: Etosha HoutSkool

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Powderdigit

Wood: Etosha HoutSkool

Post by Powderdigit »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and thought I would point out this wood that I use when cooking with my Weber kettle. I searched 'etosha' up as a topic and it did not come up ... so I thought I'd create a topic here. Apologies if it has already been discussed.

I use Etosha HoutSkool which I buy from a local store that sells Sth African food stuff including excellent Boer Vorst.

I cannot comment on things like evenness of heat or comparisons with others woods - it's all I have ever used! I moved from heats beads about 18 months ago and never looked back. I am sure I will try other woods eventually and also figure out what woods to use with what food. For now, I just love the taste of food cooked over wood.

Here's the bag - these photos provide more context and those forum members with more knowledge can possibly add more context on whether this wood is OK or I just don't now who I am talking about - which is a reasonable point - I am no BBQ expert ..yet. :|
IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg (142.59 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
In my experience, it lights reliably and takes 45 mins to ash over with no chimney. The bag has a mix of small and large chunks of wood.

I am Melbourne born but a Sth African mate put me onto it and it goes alright! :)

Anyway - I thought you might be interested.

Cheers
Powderdigit