Any advice for a soon to be owner of GMG DB ?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Jimmyboy

Any advice for a soon to be owner of GMG DB ?

Post by Jimmyboy »

Hi,

Following a large amount of research I took the plunge and ordered a GMG DB via Aussie BBQ's in Brisbane.

Nervously awaiting its arrival later this week and will take the plunge over the weekend.

I have never cooked on a Pellet before so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ziegler and Brown single burner & GMG DB
Angryman65

Re: Any advice for a soon to be owner of GMG DB ?

Post by Angryman65 »

I've never used one either but my suggestion would be to let me borrow it for a while and once I know how it works I'll bring it around and show you. :D :D

Enjoy using it. I'd love one but would have to live in it.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Jimmyboy

Post by Jimmyboy »

I would let you borrow it for a small fee of $1500😆
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I had an early model Traeger Texas Pellet grill a few years back and loved it, the only reason I was compelled to sell it is that i found myself out of work and couldn't really afford to buy pellets as pellets were pretty exxy back then, more available now.
I wouldn't hesitate on buying another Pellet grill again, they make low n slow so easy with that awesome woodsmoke flavour that is not overpowering like it might be on an offsett grill.

The GMG is a good proven unit, advantages is a decent high lid, and the fact is can be operated via wifi....did you buy the wifi unit?

They can be used for high heat grilling although not their strongest feature but roasting and slow smoking is.....nothing better than placing a nice big slab of meat in the chamber, setting the desired temp then wake up with the entire neighbourhood smelling of delicious meaty aromas.....it just can't be beat :D

Just ensure you read any instructions regarding the thermostat because you may need to do an initial starting process to feed the pellets through the auger and also set up the heat rod but once that's done...you're on your way. Also read up on how to get the best out of the digital control.
Of course theres some safety features to be aware of.....you can still cook even in the wet however, because your thermostat and internal fans are house powered AC current, you need to keep the cord off the ground if wet especially if using an extention cord. ensure your hopper is closed at all times to keep out moisture but if you have any little kiddies around, definately keep them away from it...they get bloody hot.

Apart from that...they are bloody awesome and you'll have some great enjoyment out of it. There's lots of flavoured pellets around that can be used to go with the type of meat you're cooking, theres no worrying about running out of gas or charcoal burning out, just top up the hopper, you go nowhere near the fire to do that.

Typically the inbuilt thermostat will determine the pellet burn rate, in these colder seasons you'll get through more pellets unless you use a thermal jacket over the chamber which are available for extra cost but in the warmer Months they will use less due to ambient temps.
Typically My traeger use to use about 250grams of pellets per hour while smoking, about 500 grams while roasting and a kilo per hour whilst grilling but i rarely used it for grilling as I had my Weber kettle or Q for that purpose and they were more economical. The burn rate also is determined on the type of wood used to make the pellets.
Pellets are basically highly compressed sawdust...so keep them dry otherwise you'll end up like wet weetbix :lol:

can't wait to see it in action here with pics.

have fun with it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Jimmyboy

Post by Jimmyboy »

Thanks Davo.

Yes the Wifi unit the pricing was the same as what UG was offering and I got it locally here in brisvegas.

Another question I have read about the Don Godke downdraft is this recommended ?

Thanks.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Jimmyboy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm Thanks Davo.

Yes the Wifi unit the pricing was the same as what UG was offering and I got it locally here in brisvegas.

Another question I have read about the Don Godke downdraft is this recommended ?

Thanks.
Had to google it as it was the first time I've heard of it but it looks like a good idea for the price if it does as it says.
Is it comming from US or Aus? Just be aware of shipping costs if from overseas...it can double or triple your purchase cost.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

I have a lot of information with pictures on my blog about this great pellet cooker and would ask you to check out just one of my articles on this cooker. You can find it here: http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... ompetition

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Jimmyboy

Post by Jimmyboy »

Thanks for the link. Some awesome cooks you have done there. Will help me a lot.