Versatility of smaller units?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
beginner

Versatility of smaller units?

Post by beginner »

I've discovered I can fit something like the LG 700 / trager 22 sort of size thing, but it would need to replace the Q320. Right now I use that for small roasts - pork loin, eye fillet, full chook are the standards as well as classic grilling of snags, chicken wings or burgers.

I like the weber because it holds temp very well, it's easy and can handle whatever, but I'm in no way attached to gas and would really prefer to be using another fuel. These pellet grills reckon they can handle all styles of BBQ so what I am wondering is can they really? What would I be giving up if I were to ditch the Q for one?
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Versatility of smaller units?

Post by Lovey »

G'day Beginner,
I'll preface my reply by saying that I don't own a pellet grill, so here goes until someone wiser comes along.
There isn't one BBQ that will do everything, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

A gas BBQ is quick to get going, easy to obtain (relatively cheap) fuel for and easy to control the temperatures. I also believe that the Weber Q series are very fuel efficient too.
They are a bit harder to use for your classic 'low and slow' because of the minimum temperatures they can achieve, but there are ways to work around it. They don't naturally impart a wood smoke flavour, unless you add a smoker box.

A very wise Captain here gave me the analogy of a pellet grill being like a wood fired version of the oven in your kitchen. It circulates hot air around your food using wood instead of electricity or gas, so you get the wood smoke flavour. They are set and forget having a thermostat control, so once at your desired cooking temp, you can virtually forget about them until your food is ready.
They can do high heat cooking like pizzas and steaks, but the higher the heat, the more pellets you'll use (like any BBQ) and some have found that high usage to be quite expensive.

Hope that helps you,
Steve
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

G'Day Beginner.
Interesting question. I own 2 pellet BBQs, 4 Charcoal BBQs and 3 Gas BBQs, each has its own purpose. My most used is either my Q220 or my Weber Genesis.
Pellet grills are good for some things like low and slow, at high heat you tend not to get a smoky flavour. They are great for making jerky. A kettle is the most versatile however it takes about 30 minutes to get it going some people say 20 minutes some say 40 minutes. I alway plan on 30 minutes and havent been too far of the mark in over 30 years. (I got my first kettle in 1984)
The Q is great, you can do just about everything with it and it only takes 10 minutes to get up to temp. If I was short on space I would definately have a Q. if I had storage place in the shed or at the side of the House I would also have a Kettle. That should satisfy all you BBQ needs.

Cheers

Captain
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Having been the owner of a Pellet grill a few years back, I'll back what Captain Cook & Lovey had to say. They are great for Low n slow and roasting, they will grill but unless you buy the more expensive units that have the grilling set-up by sliding a plate from the firepot, otherwise it'll be like an indirect grilling or what I would call an high heat roasting.
When you use the pellet grills for the grilling, it's then I reckon they become uneconomical, they will use around 1 kg of pellets per hour and that makes a big hole in a 9kg bag at around $30 each (give or take a dollar) and as mentioned, you won't get the smoke as you would at the lower temps as the pellets are no longer smouldering.

A good gas grill or Kettle will give you the grilling performance you need, it's why when you come to forums such as this, members are enthusiasts and will usually have several BBQs or outdoor cookers to get the results they seek. Best to get one good grill, master that and then slide on over to another type.

Sometimes it's a bit confusing as to where you want to go first, I love using my Weber Q320 but I also love using my kettle or WSM smoker but if I'm only doing a small smoking session, then the smoker isn't worth lighting up so I can arrange the kettle to do the same as the smoker. Just gives me that bit of versatility.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
beginner

Post by beginner »

Ah decisions decisions... Well at this stage seems it may be worth just taking the punt on a less expensive unit like the traeger pro 22 and seeing how I like it, if it doesn't work out I there's another home for it and can swap back out with the Q, and at the very least I'll know whether or not the YS640 is the first thing I'm buying when I move
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

beginner wrote:Ah decisions decisions... Well at this stage seems it may be worth just taking the punt on a less expensive unit like the traeger pro 22 and seeing how I like it, if it doesn't work out I there's another home for it and can swap back out with the Q, and at the very least I'll know whether or not the YS640 is the first thing I'm buying when I move

I think you'll like the Traeger there beginner, I had a Traeger 075 which is the bigger version of yours but one of the earlier original versions and I seen the new line up at a local BBQs Galore in Campbelltown and I must say I'm impressed...they looked to be a very much improved unit.....and very reasonably priced...if I was in the market again, I would buy another Traeger.

Louisiana grills are pretty good too, a mate of mine in the Hunter Valley bought one last year and it's a pearler, the exhaust goes out the back rather than out a stack.....that could suit some buyers.

GMG pellet grills have the added utility of being WiFi capable (model pending) and that you can make adjustments by your mobile etc.

Yoder are the premium brand especially for those who compete, but they are also a premium priced unit...but pretty much the antz pantz.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Beginner
Where are you located? I want to sell my Traeger 075 Pellet Grill and can offer it to you for a good price. I am located in Hoppers Crossing (Melbourne)

Captain.
beginner

Post by beginner »

Captain Cook wrote:Beginner
Where are you located? I want to sell my Traeger 075 Pellet Grill and can offer it to you for a good price. I am located in Hoppers Crossing (Melbourne)

Captain.
Melbourne as well, appreciate the offer but that model is unfortunately way to long for my spot
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Cant add anymore other than pellet cookers cant be used on fire ban days. Not legally anyway.

I must say, Those new treager grills are impressive. A member on another forum is turning out some superb ribs and briskets on the small model treager. Really big ribs too. Id say, That with a Q and a little treager, Just about all bases are covered as a very compact kit.
You simply have to make space to get what you are asking for.
However, The Treager will do most things. Just don't expect rare supermarket sized steaks with a black crust.
So you "Could" get buy with just one pellet grill, With all the pros and cons the boys have listed above.
For instance, Maybe cost of running at high grill temps dont bother you,, Stuff like that.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

The Louisiana is your answer in my opinion as it will do High Temp grilling as well as any BBQ with great flavour. The big advantage is the short large diameter auger and the large burn grate. We have just dropped the price of these units to be in line with the other brands and the LG700 is now RRP of $1,399.00 ( LG900 is now $1,799.00 )

My best advice is listen to advice but to always go and look for yourself. Just about every Pellet BBQ will turn out the same food, the difference you need to ook for in my opinion is auger diameter & length, the size of the burn grate/pot & how easy it is to clean, functionality like ability to high temp grill ( & more than one steak at a time ) and build quality. Once you have looked at all this there is only 2 brands to choose from in Australia.

Here are some advantages:

• Designed to High Temp Grill with a much larger, removable Burn Grate for much easier cleaning.
• Larger diameter, shorter auger which eliminates Blockages.
• High temp direct / indirect grill Set-Up in seconds with Flame Broiler.
• largest cooking capacity CM2 In its class.
• Easy-to-use digital control with programmable meat probe.
• Easy-to-clean Enamel coated Cast iron grills.
• Large removable porcelain coated upper rack.
• Smoke, Roast, Bake, Braise & High Temp Grill.
• 180 - 600 Deg F (82 - 315 Deg C) Temp Range.
• 5 Degree increments temperature control.
• Easy-to-clean Enamel coated Cast iron grills.
• Quality, ridged construction.
• Solid bottom shelf for stability.
• Addition of the Cold Smoke Cabinet
• Addition of the Hopper Extension which doubles pellet storage.
• Better Designed, Better Built and Better Cooking
• World Class BBQ in own Backyard
• Factory built 240V and compliant for Australian electrical & safety standards.
• Very price competitive compared to other brands in its class.

All inquiries to: sales@louisiana-grills-australia.com.au

Hope this helps :D

Cheers Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Grill Pro should make it clear that he is the Australian Importer/ Distributor of Louisiana pellet grills so his sales pitch above may be bias. Ask any pellet grill importer / Distibutor and they will tell you why there’s is the best. You are better off getting recommendations from end users. I found that I slowly stoped using my. Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill (which is a great little unit and very versatile) after a while and went back to using my kettles and my Q and Genesis.
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Same old advice from certain people here...

Yes I import Yoder & Louisiana into Australia, as you can see in my signature. I chose these 2 brands for design and build quality over others.

Also beware of certain people here who just want to push what their mates sell even tho they are not certified for Australian Electrical & safety standards.

Some 'End Users' are just fan boys that have only cooked on the one brand of Pellet BBQ & after also cooking on these brands, I can see why they would want to go back to their other BBQs ....

The MAIN point to take away from what I posted was the following:

Do yourself a big favour and go a personally look BEFORE you buy any pellet grill and you will see exactly what I am saying.

Try to read between the BS posts, especially from folks saying theirs is the best but not advising you to go and look.

Happy hunting!

Cheers Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO