Save money by substituting pellets

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Swamptrout

Save money by substituting pellets

Post by Swamptrout »

Hi guys, firstly for the disclaimer - this is not my idea, i found this posted online by a US based fellow who has been using this method for almost 10 years now without incident.

I use a mixture of 1/3 cracked corn (sold at feed & pet stores) to 2/3 pellets. Corn has a nice neutral smoke flavor so the predominate flavor is the wood. Wood pellets run around $20 per 20 lbs but corn runs under $20 for 50 lbs. This amounts to a considerable saving over using pellets alone. Since corn burns a bit higher in temperature you use less fuel to maintain a smoke temperature. I have been using corn in my Trager Texan for 10 years with no issue or problems. With the digital temperature control I am able to set a temperature and let the smoke do its thing while I am free to do other stuff. I have never gotten better smoking results than with a pellet grill. By using corn with the pellets I find the cost is less than charcoal or gas. I am a true believer in pellet grills and after using one I will never go back to a conventional smoker.

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere