Local downdraft available?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
DaveZ

Local downdraft available?

Post by DaveZ »

Just wondering if there's anyone in Australia making a downdraft style product for the Green Mountain Grills? I've got a Jim Bowie and know postage from the states will kill the price.

Cheers,
Dave.
Jars

Re: Local downdraft available?

Post by Jars »

DaveZ wrote:Just wondering if there's anyone in Australia making a downdraft style product for the Green Mountain Grills? I've got a Jim Bowie and know postage from the states will kill the price.

Cheers,
Dave.
Had to have a google to see what the hell you were on about. Looks like a pretty simple thing, if its the same as what I found, a plate kinda thing that bolts up near the chimney? Visit your local metal fabricator and take some measurements/pictures along. they should be able to knock something up.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Yeah it is a pretty simple thing really, but don't want to have put up with dumb&$se engineers trying to build it for me. Was hoping someone in Oz had started building them already. Will pay the extra to get one freighted over from the states if there's not a local alternative.

Cheers,
Dave.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Like minds.
I was looking at one and asked about delivery. The one from grill pellet accessories.
Postage would kill, but I was lucky had a friend over and he bright it back for me, however due to time I had to go a 3 day delivery and that was 40 bucks continental US!
It is about 2kg.
I can photo and get dimensions for you.
I'll have to mod it anyway it wasn't the version with the exhaust high option
Cheers
DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Would be good to see a pic of it, thanks. I imagine there are a few different ones available in the states, just nothing here.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Guy on Pelletheads.com selling the 1st Generation one (no sliding door) for $60, he might sell it to you and ship to OZ if you paid him for the shipping? I really have no idea if he would be willing or not, seems to me if ya got pack it up and ship it to Maine, or Arizona or Alabama, how much harder is it to just mail it to OZ?

Looks like it is about $65 to ship to you!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

jjjones

Post by jjjones »

I recently purchased a downdraft from Don Godke off Pelletheads forum.

50USD shipping to Brisbane. The actual downdraft cost 35USD for the older model (i wanted the older model because it didnt have his name plastered all over it) 45USD for the newer model which has a butterfly vent.

Quite pricey but i dont have the skills to make one.

Yeah, thats red paint at the bottom of it

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I bought mine from Don as well - shipping cost way more than the actual unit. When it arrived I realised a year 10 metal work student could make it in a single class. If you know anyone like that, hit them up to make you one. Alternatively, find a local metal supplier to get some sheet aluminium and a hammer and a block of wood and some tin snips and you would make one yourself in a very short time. Its nothing fancy, just blocks the vent and forces all vapour to exit the space at the bottom of the triangle bit; genius idea, so props to Don for thinking of it, but yeah its simple as you can get in terms of implementation.