Melaleuca

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Bob S

Melaleuca

Post by Bob S »

In Florida, where I live, Melaleuca was introduced from Australia in the early 1900s to help drain the swamps. Well, it didn't do it, but it found the Florida climate salubrious and spread like crazy throughout the everglades and then north a couple hundred miles almost to Orlando. In doing so, it displaced many native species (since it had no natural enemies to slow its progress or propagation) and wreaked ecological havoc in the process. So today it is considered to be a hated weed, a very large hated weed, and is subject to various eradication measures. But my understanding is that Melaleuca has another side, a smoky, tasty and flavorful side. Am I correct? Is Melaleuca a good smoke wood, and, if so, what meats does it best compliment? It would be a bit of a drive, but I believe I could cut as much as I 'd like for free. So, what do you think? Worth doing?
Bob S
urbangriller

Re: Melaleuca

Post by urbangriller »

Melaleuca (Tea-Tree) is a good smoke, mild not bitter, good for anything. It's also good for distilling Tea Tree Oil.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bob S

Re: Melaleuca

Post by Bob S »

Thank you for the information.
Bob S