Ive joined the Pellet club :D

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
jjjones

Post by jjjones » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:44 am

Hey guys,

Just got my new GMG Daniel Boone WiFi.
Fathers day sale was on so ended up costing me 1300 and a free bag of pellets.

Here's a few pics of it just completed with the burn in. I'm actually quite surprised there was that much smoke coming out of it during the burn in at low temps.
I was really worried from reading several forums posts about not enough smoke from pellet grills. Hopefully it smokes similar to that during actual cooks at the same temps.

I've also got the new direct flame stainless steel drip tray. Apparently they only come in the newer models for DB/JB from what ive read. Hoping to get some grill grates and do some high temp grilling.

Got it hooked up via wifi to my phone and also ended up getting it to connect directly to my router. My only issue at the moment is that it seems to have shitty wifi range. I had to move it closer than i would like to the router for it to maintain a constant connection.

ShireSteve

Re: Ive joined the Pellet club :D

Post by ShireSteve » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:04 am

Hi JJ,
I have had the DB for a few weeks, also has the SS drip trays. They look so lovely out of the box, even better when they have some colour!
Never used a smoker before & so far only used GMG fruitwood pellets, but can confirm at the lower smoker temps, there is plenty of smoke.
Absolutely love my DB and as I become more used to grilling with it, it keeps surpassing expectations.
Enjoy

Cheers
Steve

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 am

Hi JJ,

It does not need a constant connection to the router, only for the duration of the download of the new firmware. It will disconnect from the router or your phone after it has the info it needs, you can easily reconnect when you want to, but it does not need a permanent connection to run a profile, it remembers what it needs to do.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

jjjones

Post by jjjones » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:31 am

Hey Chris,

My understanding is that the GMG connects to my router to connect to my wifi network. My phone then connects to my wifi network to get updates from the GMG.
So the GMG would need some sort of constant connection to the router.

Do you know if the firmware update improves on the wifi range?

Out of the box i got it to connect to my router. However, after a few more tests it seemed like it wouldnt connect anymore. I logged into my router to see what devices were connected to the wifi and the GMG wasnt. After this i moved the GMG closer to the router and it seems to connect fine without any issues.

When the drops out happened, the GMG would have been at max 10 meters from my router. I moved it closer to 6m and it seems ok now.

I havnt tried moving it since the firmware upgrade though.
Last edited by jjjones on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bentley

Post by Bentley » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:33 am

Welcome to the DarkSide....
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Looks like you have a controller with external wifi antenna, which is good. If after the 5.8 firmware update it doesn't connect to your router from a distance where your phone has at least 2 bars of wifi signal, then I would contact tech support. Took me 4 controllers before I got one that worked as advertised (one of which had very short wifi range).

Also, be aware that after you do the firmware upgrade, you will have to reconnect it to your wifi network as those settings are wiped out as part of the firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm

The GMG does not need the home network unless you are downloading new firmware.

Just connect the phone direct to the GMG by the phones WiFi.

Look on Ebay, you can get a high gain antenna for a few dollars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9dBi-High-Ga ... 3f0c75a3f6

Chris

wedwards

Post by wedwards » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:41 pm

urbangriller wrote:The GMG does not need the home network unless you are downloading new firmware.

Just connect the phone direct to the GMG by the phones WiFi.

Look on Ebay, you can get a high gain antenna for a few dollars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9dBi-High-Ga ... 3f0c75a3f6

Chris
I understand what you are saying, but that's not how things work in the real world. To have to change networks to the GMG, set your profile, then change back to your normal wifi network for normal stuff (so you can receive emails for instance), then change back to the GMG to check where it's at with the current profile then repeat ad nauseum for the duration of the cook, is a complete pain in the butt.

It's much better to have it just work the way it's advertised (connected to your own wifi network), without having to stuff around with it. When it does work, it works very well for those who want to use all that the wifi is capable of.

jjjones

Post by jjjones » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:20 pm

wedwards wrote:Looks like you have a controller with external wifi antenna, which is good. If after the 5.8 firmware update it doesn't connect to your router from a distance where your phone has at least 2 bars of wifi signal, then I would contact tech support. Took me 4 controllers before I got one that worked as advertised (one of which had very short wifi range).

Also, be aware that after you do the firmware upgrade, you will have to reconnect it to your wifi network as those settings are wiped out as part of the firmware update.

Thanks for your reply mate. When you say support do you mean GMG support in the U.S.? Or go through Hark as stated on the warrenty card.
If it was from the U.S., did you have to pay for the controllers? I've heard they have good support but unsure if it's different being in Australia.

Cheers.
Last edited by jjjones on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skuzy

Post by skuzy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:48 pm

thats a great price!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:52 pm

jjjones wrote:
wedwards wrote:Looks like you have a controller with external wifi antenna, which is good. If after the 5.8 firmware update it doesn't connect to your router from a distance where your phone has at least 2 bars of wifi signal, then I would contact tech support. Took me 4 controllers before I got one that worked as advertised (one of which had very short wifi range).

Thanks for your reply mate. When you say support do you mean GMG support in the U.S.? Or go through Hark as stated on the warrenty card.
If it was from the U.S., did you have to pay for the controllers? I've heard they have good support but unsure if it's different being in Australia.

Cheers.
Just call Hark if you need to.

Chris

wedwards

Post by wedwards » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Yep go through Hark like Chris said - they are great to deal with

jjjones

Post by jjjones » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Thanks guys,

I'm gonna shoot them an email. The latest firmware seems even worst for connecting via wifi now.
When using adhoc mode, it cuts out when i move 5 meters from the GMG.

Trying to connect the GMG to the router works 10% of the time. And when it does ( i can see the device listed on my router as connected) it wont even connect via the app and then disappears.

Kinda disappointed as the wifi was the selling point for me :(

jjjones

Post by jjjones » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:58 am

So Ive sent an email to Hark explaining my WiFi issues.

Ive read on other forums about the GMG DC having dodgey WiFi wiring, decided to check mine...

That would probably explain the shitty wifi range and connection issues ive been getting.

wedwards

Post by wedwards » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:08 am

Haha yep that might explain it!