new GMG DC owner (soon)

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
gnik1

new GMG DC owner (soon)

Post by gnik1 »

A while ago someone was selling their woodpellet grill on here and I was pestering the Minister of finance to approve my purchase sadly it was rejected. So I told her that the next BBQ I get will be a woodpellet grill.

SWMBO is in Brisbane visiting friends this weekend . On the way to airport I jokingly said I would be buying a new BBQ expecting to be shot down, surprised by the answer, do what you want, sarcasm/irony does not work on me so I took that as a yes.She should be back in time when my new BBQ arrives.

Trying to find a one readily available in Sydney seemed impossible. I finally had to settle on ordering one and waiting on delivery this week I am going on the feedback from other DC owners on here and on pelletsheads, I really hope I won't be disappointed.
ShireSteve

Re: new GMG DC owner (soon)

Post by ShireSteve »

I have had my DB for a couple of weeks now, cant fault the Grill or the service I received from the vendor.
Everything I have cooked on it to date, has surpassed my expectations. Hope you have the same results.

Cheers
Steve
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The Davy Crockett is Awesome, you won't be sorry!

First job, plug it in and upgrade the firmware....it can do that while you are taking the protective plastic off all the parts.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Welcome to the DarkSide and maybe the Doghouse?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

And if you want to stock up on pellets we have a group buy that will be finalised in the next day or so: Sydney Pellet Group Buy
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

gnik1 wrote: surprised by the answer, do what you want, sarcasm/irony does not work on me so I took that as a yes.
Brave man. Mind you, I didn't technically have permission to get my Traeger when I got it. The cold shoulder only lasted until she got a taste, so make sure you get something pretty good for the first cook... :)

On a serious note, you'll love the DC. Great little machine that one.

Enjoy

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

i really enjoy it. Took a while to get over the novelty of being able to play with it on the device, but once that fun was over I have been concentrating on the cooking. Either way it's great.
Swmbo is impressed by the juiciness it retains. She does not like too much smoke so have been using the fruitwood more than the gold blend and making sure it is up to temp before putting the meat on.
Whatever you do it is a very versatile little machine.
Be pleased to hear more when you have played and cooked.
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
gnik1

Post by gnik1 »

Thanks for the advise and re-assurance. Narmnaleg I think I'm going to have to pass on the pellets this time but please keep me informed. I think I may be pushing it if I spend another couple of hundred dollars on pellets.

DingoWA will definitely let everyone know how I go with my first cook on the Davy Crockett. Can't wait for it to arrive.
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

As long as it's not too cool outside, you'll find this little one very economical...

Duane.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

gnik1 wrote:Narmnaleg I think I'm going to have to pass on the pellets this time but please keep me informed. I think I may be pushing it if I spend another couple of hundred dollars on pellets.
No worries at all gnik1.
gnik1

Post by gnik1 »

Received the DC on Thursday. Wow it gives off a bit of smoke when it starts up not a good start to appease SWMBO.

Since it arrived too late to cook anything on it on I fired up my trusty Q and did a roast chicken which my wife cut's up and shreds the chicken breasts for chicken mayonnaise sandwiches.

Couldn't help myself but was outside setting up my new toy and I left the kitchen door slightly open and lets just say the cat from next door had a feast. Strike 1.. BBQ cat anyone?

Anyway after the verbal abuse stopped I fire up the DC. So much smoke house smells strike 2... I decide to pack it in before I have to find a new place to stay.

Friday tried to grill some lamb chops must be user error I thought I took it to an internal temp of 60 degrees celsius but must have read it wrong since chops were rare.

Today I am doing a chuck roast been in since 5 am and according to the app the internal temp is 56 degrees aiming for 88. my grill temp is 124. Still a bit of smoke but at least the house does not smell as bad as it did on Thurs.

Will post pics once cook is completed.

What the chuck roast looks like after 2 hours
Image[/URL]
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Hi Gnik,

I've only used a DC a few times, but when I had the meat in a tray such as you have, it seemed to take heaps longer to cook. Not sure if this was just a one off for me, or if other have noticed this too, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Just keep an eye on it just in case.

Cheers
Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I agree with that, there's no need for a tray and in fact it hinders the smoke being about to circulate around the meat. Take the tray out and put a sheet of foil under the grill rack to make cleaning easier.
wedwards

new GMG DC owner (soon)

Post by wedwards »

Or use a thinner tray and sit it on the heat deflector under the grill, then put your meat direct on the grill. Makes cleanup easier, gives you all that good fat and juice to make gravy or a sauce out of, and still allows smoke to get into the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Haha, yes I wasn't ready for the startup smoke the first time either and it got in the house. Changed spots and all good now.