Tpying with a pellet smoker

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
aussieant32

Tpying with a pellet smoker

Post by aussieant32 »

G'day guys and gals.

Toying with the idea of grabbing a pellet smoker. I have a weber I use mainly for grilling and a kamado that I have been doing my longer cooks on. Been looking into pellets and like the idea of them as they will give me a bit more freedom on cook days/nights. The kamado is pretty stable but realistically if the temp etc drops and I am not home my mrs isn't really up to making adjustments or making the right call. Seems a pellet is set and forget almost (apart from topping up pellets)

I really like the look of the yoders but I would imagine a pretty decent $$$, so was looking at the davey crocket wifi, would this be a cook entry point?
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
edgy

Re: Tpying with a pellet smoker

Post by edgy »

Yoder is definitely the highest priced, if you can afford to stretch it.. naturally I would say go for it. I've been very happy with all the Yoder's I've had/have.

But if you can't then definitely look at the Traeger or gmg options, I'm not sure how big the hopper is in the DC so not sure how long it would run with no intervention. I'm sure with most the bigger units you'll easily get 10-12 + hours running with no intervention.

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to ease of use and consistency you just can't beat a pellet... it doesn't need your input and you will find yourself cooking low n slow a lot more than you ever did, all while you go about your usual daily life.

Good luck with it.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Davy Crocket holds 9lbs.(4.82kg). This is the Pellet Consumption data done in Performance testing...@ 200°F (93°C) .67lb/hour (320g), @ 300°F (149°C) 1.11lb/hour (499g), @ 400°F (205°C) 1.57lbs/hour (712G).

So if you are cooking at 225°F (93°C) you will have about 8 hours of cook time...

It is more then an entry cooking unit, it really just depends on how much volume you cook! And it grills nicly!

Good luck with your choice!

7.5kg Turkey, 6.5kg Ham, 4kg Pork Butt, 2kg Meatloaf...

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Just Management and me most of the time at home and the DC is perfect! You can stack a heap in it even though it's a baby. Two chooks easy (so thats a feed for 8)....or a whole chuck (feeds 8-12 easy). Set and forget and WiFi, just like the bigger versions, you can't go wrong!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

sounding like a good option.

Is the wifi needed if I have a maverick?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

aussieant32 wrote:sounding like a good option.

Is the wifi needed if I have a maverick?
WiFi lets you set a program (and not be there while it cooks).

Run BBQ at 85C till meat hits 65C
Increase BBQ to 105C till meat hits 85C
Drop BBQ to 95 C till meat hits 93C
put BBQ into Stay Warm (65C) till you get home (or wake up).

Put your food on in the morning and go to work....it won't overcook and it'll be sitting warm whenn you get home....GOLD!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
aussieant32

Re: Toying with a pellet smoker

Post by aussieant32 »

ah, I like the sound of that.

Any reason I cant find a price on a yoder anywhere?
chrisg

Re: Toying with a pellet smoker

Post by chrisg »

aussieant32 wrote:ah, I like the sound of that.

Any reason I cant find a price on a yoder anywhere?
:)

If you have to ask... ? :)

Give the man a call, but if you are serious do be sitting down.

From what I've seen worth every cent but quality usually is :)

I have to admit been looking a a DC myself for our modest needs, not heard a bad thing about them yet.

Cheers
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

certainly not going to call someone for a price, it's a smoker not a gym.

The DC is definitely the front runner at the moment for me
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day Aussieant,
if you google up 'bbqaroma.com.au' you'll find some prices for Yoder's there.
Good luck with your decision.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Thanks heaps.

Good shop too, go there pretty regularly
edgy

Post by edgy »

I can tell you right now Yoder starts at about the $3K +

But you can't compare the GMG DC to any other pellet on the market, simply because there is nothing else to compete with it... price point (sub $1k ?), its portable and even able to run on 12v I believe? that's pretty neat for people who need that.. you can take it camping even.

Just be mindful before you buy any pellet, if you do think you may do bigger cook ups at any stage seriously consider buying a bigger unit (regardless of brand) there is a perception that a bigger unit costs more to run and I can tell you that is very far from the truth! Bigger unit may use more in the start up but once its running... not the case. I've found my YS1500 to be about the same as my old YS480 in overall pellet usage.

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
mb403

Post by mb403 »

Hey edgy, do you ever think the 1500 is overkill compared to the 480? Or are you glad you have the extra room?

What do you like about the 1500 over the 480 you had?

Cheers

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
edgy

Re:

Post by edgy »

mb403 wrote:Hey edgy, do you ever think the 1500 is overkill compared to the 480? Or are you glad you have the extra room?

What do you like about the 1500 over the 480 you had?

Cheers
To be honest mate, I've found they are quite different... the YS1500 is a lot like an offset!

Obviously it is bigger so you can fit more in it, A LOT more... but its also got the same heat management system as the competition offsets, the trap door above the fire pit is VERY handy as you can get access to a direct flame and you do not need to pull it apart to flame grill if you want to! Opening the trap door also gives you two temp zones if you need... As I only run one pit in comps versatility and space is important, the YS1500 is all of that.

The YS480/640 I would say are the most versatile ones though, they flame grill very well and although you can grill on the YS1500.. low n slow is its forte.

So to answer the overkill question, NO. Not as we compete and do big cooks... if I didn't compete that may be a different story.

mb403

Post by mb403 »

Awesome thanks mate. From the sounds of it a 640 or jim bowie will probably suffice. I find myself usually using 2 webers and a uds with 2 cooking racks at home to feed the family and friends.

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member