After advice about this non conventional offset

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Muppet

After advice about this non conventional offset

Post by Muppet »

What do you guys think of this offset, would you think it's possible to use a similar design and get the heat to flow through effectively?

It's definitly a cleaner look, a lot less work too but would it work?
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Muppet

Re: After advice about this non conventional offset

Post by Muppet »

My personal thoughts are if you can move the air intake down as low as possible it might just work.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

My first thought would be that if it really worked, everyone would be doing it - because it is a lot easier to build.

Getting the air to flow properly is the main issue - it looks like that would flow but all the heat would end up at the top of the chamber - I can't see how the heat would circulate properly to food level.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

FirePlay wrote:My first thought would be that if it really worked, everyone would be doing it - because it is a lot easier to build.

Getting the air to flow properly is the main issue - it looks like that would flow but all the heat would end up at the top of the chamber - I can't see how the heat would circulate properly to food level.
Very true, why reinvent the wheel when offsets have been designed many many times by people who know quite a bit about them... A lot more than me anyways :lol:
Mabey I could keep the rounded line and fab a drop box underneath.
Baby steps...
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

It's not really an offset is it. The fire box should be below the chamber, not level with it. Hence the term offset (I assume).
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

I'm liking the look of that Muppet but think that the ehat transfer between the fire and cooking chambers would be higher than with a normal offset. Having said that, maybe by putting an insulator of some kind between them would work? Hmmmm.............. Maybe haveing an "end" in each compartment and an air gap between them could work?

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

I recon by setting it up as a reverse flow it would work
just need to get the draft happening
Dez

Post by Dez »

I thought about doing that to the fire box on the offset I built. I still do. I just like the flat top without having to fab up half a box to sit on top. Looks as bad as I thought it would though, lol.
In all honesty with the amount of messing around you'd do to make it work. I don't think you'd save much work, nothing too technical anyway.
Cheers.
Dez.