Pellet Grill Cold Smoke

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
urbangriller

Pellet Grill Cold Smoke

Post by urbangriller »

I was thinking about the way cold smoke generators work and if I could duplicate it in the GMG JB.

I think you could only do this in a Pellet Grill that has a fire crucible to contain the pellets.

I unplugged the Grill then completely cleared the fire crucible and loaded a 100g (3.5oz) pellet load.
I lit the pellets with a gas torch, then used a fan from the top to get them established.
Once the top pellets were lit, I loaded in another 100g of pellets, I puffed the fan 5 times in 5 seconds, then closed the grill.
Every 20 minutes I applied 5 puffs of the fan in 5 seconds
At 1 hour 40 min I added another 100g load of pellets
At 3 hours I shut the test down as we were going out to dinner and I had run out of time. But the pellets were still going strong.
Ambient Temperature was 37°C (99°F) with 30% humidity and the Temperature inside the grill during the test was 37°C.

I’ve run this test again yesterday; the temperature was only 26°C (79°F) with 60% humidity.
This time, I used a 50g dose of pellets every half hour and 5 seconds of puffing the fan.
I maintained 26°C to 30°C (79-86°F), I put a tub of ice in when it got to 30°C and it came back to 26°C in about 10 minutes.
I ran the 30 minute and 5 puff routine for 6 hours and I could have gone longer.

For most Cold smoking a temperature of 26°C or less is optimal. So I’m looking for the temperature inside the GMG to be under 25°C, in winter or at night this would be no problem.

I sent all the data to the boys at GMG to see if they can write a program or profile based on timing of the fan puffs and small doses of pellets delivered regularly.

Oh, and I smoked some cheese while I was at it!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Pellet Grill Cold Smoke

Post by Nath »

Cool!
When I get my DC I'll have to return the Smokai;)

Just kidding.
Nath
gussigan

Re: Pellet Grill Cold Smoke

Post by gussigan »

would be awesome if we could get a cold smoking profile

Tried some of the cheese while picking up some pellets and it was good stuff!