Does a pellet grill need to live under cover?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
mrjack

Post by mrjack »

I'm looking to set up / assemble my GMG Daniel Boone today. My wife and I are having discussions as to where it will live.

My feeling is that it needs to be under cover (we have a decent sized verandah). As an electrical appliance - if it rains while it's in operation - we have a recipe for trouble..
Keeping it under cover mitigates against that.. Fair assumption?

Given the weight of the thing, and the fact that there are two (small) sets of steps between the verandah, and the side deck where my wife wants to put it - moving it around is not going to happen...

To me this is a common sense discussion, but welcome your collective thoughts. Thanks.
Last edited by mrjack on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumb

Re: Does a pellet grill need to live under cover?

Post by Gumb »

Under cover,no question.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Yes.

Having said that, I have competed with my pellet pits in the rain and had no issues, but it was not by choice, and I believe I was lucky!
mrjack wrote:My feeling is that it needs to be under cover (we have a decent sized verandah). As an electrical appliance - if it rains while it's in operation - we have a recipe for trouble..
Keeping it under cover mitigates against that.. Fair assumption?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I keep mine Undercover and with vinyl covers to protect from the sea air.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Bentley,

dood that NFA nutter on your signature scares the "fred Bear" out of me, and is almost putting me into a "cat scrtatch fever" enough to make me "hammer down" out of here and do some "stormtrooping"

but yes i fully agree, under cover, because i remember when the pellet grill craze started in OZ.....a very informed bloke with a name very like your's told us of the wet pellet blow up, and clogging your auger, and creating a lot of swear words from the owner.

thanks for that warning Bentley.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Just what the DR ordered...
Commander Cody wrote: but yes i fully agree, under cover, because i remember when the pellet grill craze started in OZ.....a very informed bloke with a name very like your's told us of the wet pellet blow up, and clogging your auger..
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

It depends on the brand.

Rob Green lives in Tacoma Washington & has left his Yoder YS640 out in the full weather, I think for over 3 years as he has no where under cover to put it.

It works fine & I cooked on it in the rain when I visited him a couple of years back. I also don't think he has a cover for it.

Some of our Australian customers also leave theirs out also.

Just like a car, the paintwork will look better if kept under cover & also with a cover on.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

I only just acquired my davy crockett but I basically pack it up each time I'm finished cooking and store it under my patio

that said the other night it was so clear I had it out cooking all night under the stars (while I slept!)

as Dave said different units will respond differently - I definitely wouldn't leave a GMG outside with no protection because there's gaps where rain could get in to the electronics

Gotta look after your BBQs! Even my other ones have weather proof covers to make sure they don't get all rusted up in the rain
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Here's the deal... The Yoder YS640 is an electric powered cooker. The manufacturer does not to my knowledge support leaving it out in the rain. I however wanted to push this pit to it's limits so I decided to cook on it in all weather and between cooks I did not cover it. I did however unplug the unit when I was not using it. The pit has held up beyond my expectations. That said.. Yoder has shipped me a new YS640 to cook on. Since I tested the unit in severe conditions, this unit will be under a grill cover as it will keep it looking good for much longer as it will not be exposed to the elements. I hope this helps.
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
mrjack

Post by mrjack »

Thanks everyone. Your feedback has been more than enough to sway the discussion. It's going under the verandah.

Can't wait to actually cook on the thing now :-)