GMG Davy Crockett - Testing

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Nath

Post by Nath »

Well,

Prominent member on here has lent me his GMG Davy Crockett to have a play around with for a couple of weeks.
This is the first pellet grill I have used, this thread will follow the cooks I do in the next couple of weeks.

First off, great looking grill, with a perfect size, and the added bonus of 12v being able to be run on the back of the ute.
If i purchase one of these, i would make or buy a workshop tool trolley type trolley for it to sit on.
I love the wifi, simple and easy to use, connects seamlessly.

Now for some cooking.

Pork loin roast (pre marinated packaged - left over from a demo)
Cooked on a profile to test it out.
210C for 25 minutes, then down to 150C untill and internal temp of 63C.
(65C keep warm feature to finish)

I put this roast in as the grill was heating up, just so it got a little bit of extra smoke from the heat up to temp.

The pork came out very most, and there was a slight smoke flavour from the pellets on the outer surface, it was delicious!
I suspect this loin had been injected.

Pizza for lunch today.
Storebought base (leftover from demo) homemade bbq sauce, chicken, chorizo and ham.

Cooked at 250C on-top of pizza stone. Base was crispy and toppings cooked well.

So far so good, I am really liking the grill.

Managed to get out for a dive today, so crays for dinner.
Pics to come.
Nath
Muppet

Re: GMG Davy Crockett - Testing

Post by Muppet »

Nice work Nath! Nothing like a new toy to keep a man happy :lol:
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Pizza looks great, I'm going to have to do that!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I did jerky on mine, 4 hours at 160F, the next day,it was perfect.
I controlled it all with the WIFI.

Set up on a table

Jerky partly cooked

My conclusions - there is no better portable pellet grill around. There are a few cons with it. It is heavier than I thought.
Sitting on the legs it is lower to the ground and you have to stoop to use it.
The pros outweigh the cons by a long shot. I used about 700 gems of pellets in 4 hours at 160 F. The jerky had a great smoke flavour but not overpowering. I used grape pellets. Clean up was simple the SS lid grill heat deflectors etc All cleaned up in a few minutes with hot soapy water and a washing up brush. It took less than 8 minutes from pushing the button to get to 150F. Max temp is 550F - 290C.
Cheers Captain.
Nath

Post by Nath »

I've fallen in love already! Only took about 10mins to get to 250C for the pizza.
The fill size fire pit really packs a punch.
I'm a biltong man myself, though I'll have to try some Jerky some time, did you post your recipe Capt'?
Nath
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Busio90 wrote:I've fallen in love already! Only took about 10mins to get to 250C for the pizza.
I'm a biltong man myself, though I'll have to try some Jerky some time, did you post your recipe Capt'?
I'm in love with it as well. Might even add a section in my Q cook book for the DC or write a DC cookbook.

The recipe is NoelStevo's with a few tweaks. He sells the Jerky so I won't post his recipe.

Cheers

Phil
flyonline

Post by flyonline »

Captain Cook wrote: I used grape pellets.
Any more info on these? A google search turned up nothing other than a bit on stock feed and I have a near endless supply of grape/skins in the near future.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

flyonline wrote:
Any more info on these? A google search turned up nothing other than a bit on stock feed and I have a near endless supply of grape/skins in the near future.
They were a special from Traeger. Don't know if they are available anymore. They came from the USA.

Phil
Nath

Post by Nath »

Captain Cook wrote:
Busio90 wrote:I've fallen in love already! Only took about 10mins to get to 250C for the pizza.
I'm in love with it as well. Might even add a section in my Q cook book for the DC or write a DC cookbook.

The recipe is NoelStevo's with a few tweaks. He sells the Jerky so I won't post his recipe.

Cheers

Phil
no problems, I'll have to do some reading :)
Nath
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Captain Cook wrote:
flyonline wrote:
They were a special from Traeger. Don't know if they are available anymore. They came from the USA.

Phil
Grapevine (and Beer) pellets are no longer available.

Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

I got to fire up my DC this weekend as well!

In fact, I got home at about 1am from a bucks party, thought it would be a brilliant idea to start the pulled pork I had planned to make the next day

Woke up several hours later with it humming along at 107c!

Busio - that pizza looks great, I was wondering if a pizza stone would fit in there. What diameter is the stone?

Only issue I had during the 13 hours of pulled pork was at one point the temp dropped right down - on inspection the fire had gone out and it was just feeding pellets into the chamber over and over to the point where they overflowed everywhere... other than that it didn't miss a beat
Nath

Post by Nath »

gussigan wrote:I got to fire up my DC this weekend as well!

In fact, I got home at about 1am from a bucks party, thought it would be a brilliant idea to start the pulled pork I had planned to make the next day

Busio - that pizza looks great, I was wondering if a pizza stone would fit in there. What diameter is the stone?

Only issue I had during the 13 hours of pulled pork was at one point the temp dropped right down - on inspection the fire had gone out and it was just feeding pellets into the chamber over and over to the point where they overflowed everywhere... other than that it didn't miss a beat

Hey Gus, ill measure it when i get home, but it just fits in there, its an old one i had lying around.
The Weber one from the Q320 doesn't fit.
Nath
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

that would be awesome if you can meaure it!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

gussigan wrote:I got to fire up my DC this weekend as well!

Gus that a major fail, something went wrong. They just don't go out like that. Check all fans are running.
My pellet box pressure fan was a little stiff when brand new and needed a manual help to get it spinning.
The motors are strong and I think need some running in. Definitely write down what you did and ring CS.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Nath

Post by Nath »

Hmm looking at that pizza again is making me hungry :evil:
Nath