Pellet cookers in Commercial kitchens

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
urbangriller

Pellet cookers in Commercial kitchens

Post by urbangriller »

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to put a pellet cooker (or offset for that matter) into a Commercial Kitchen.

We are currently trying to get health dept approval for a Cookshack FEC cabinet to be installed into a commercial kitchen. Both the Health dept and Fire dept require the pellet cooker to have a seperate exhaust cannopy, it is aparantly not legal to exhaust this kind of cooker up the same exhaust canopy that handles the oven/deep fryer/grill.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Grill Pro Australia

Re: Pellet cookers in Commercial kitchens

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

urbangriller wrote:Just a heads up for anyone wanting to put a pellet cooker (or offset for that matter) into a Commercial Kitchen.

We are currently trying to get health dept approval for a Cookshack FEC cabinet to be installed into a commercial kitchen. Both the Health dept and Fire dept require the pellet cooker to have a seperate exhaust cannopy, it is aparantly not legal to exhaust this kind of cooker up the same exhaust canopy that handles the oven/deep fryer/grill.

Cheers
Chris
There are many kitchens that have open charcoal Grills in commercial kitchens right around Australia, no difference for Offsets running on charcoal I would have thought...

In fact Penfolds Magill Estate in Adelaide has a brand new kitchen with one huge rangehood extracting a big open Charcoal/ wood pit as well as stove tops & ovens etc.

Lucky most of our Pellet Grills are cooking out in the courtyards of these restaurants! :wink:

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
the dane

Post by the dane »

why cant one exhaust be used for a pellet grill and oven deep fryer? is there any chance a pellet cooker can shoot sparks up through its chimney?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

Hi Chris

Is that a state or Federal requirement?
edgy

Post by edgy »

Bloody red tape... :lol:
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Grill Pro Australia

Must be a WA thing maybe ..

I just spoke to an Adelaide Pub owner who told me that he investigated it & Offset Smokers, Pellet Grills & Charcoal Pits can all use the same rangehood, in SA anyway.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

There is no country wide legislation. This is the answer we keep getting here. That said, all this kind of legislation is based on guidelines and/or what others are doing.

My advice is check with your local authority, don't just assume you can push one into the corner of the kitchen.

Chris
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I've heard rumors and mumblings in the NSW and QLD fire industry about them. Fire inspectors are human and another inspectors report overrides if worst case example is exposed. Just the way is is.
Normally I could not be stuffed but maybe the states need to be made aware in such risk?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

theDoc wrote:lance from big boy bbq has a lot of experience with the FEC's and is happily running them in a kitchen in melbourne no problem.
sounds like you got yourself a dud health and fire department rep whom has no idea about these units or WA has over the top requirments
Yes Lance is running FECs...the question is are they vented seperately to the chip fryer? FEC make a special hood for their cookers to vent them to the outside.

Realy? Three dud councils?

All I'm saying is: Just don't assume that you can just bolt a pellet cooker into a commercial kitchen. You may need a seperate extraction system. Don't think it's a WA thing, it is council by council, what is OK in one council zone may not be in the next.

ASK your council health dept!

Cheers
Chris
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

You all got it good...A restaurant in LA, Rock n Fish at LA Live put in a Cookshack Charbroiler...not only did it have to have its own hood vent, it had to have smoke scrubbers on it! Ahh, California, glad to be gone!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

theDoc wrote:LA are pretty strict around "smells" as well

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosatrieu/2 ... r-30-days/

Speak to your councils of course but every one is different. from what i have heard, the more densly packed/built with resedential the more likely you are going to run into troubles.
even "smells" are a no no, how KFC gets away with it id dont know :P
And that's the point! Every council is different, don't assume that the setup you saw in a restaurant last week will be legal in your council zone.

Chris
Grill Pro Australia

At the end of the day, its the Restaurant owners / Pub owners responsibility to look into their own local regulations. I'm sure all "Good operators" are on top of this anyway.

I don't really see much point in this thread as I don't think that many ( if any at all ) are members here anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

I've dealt with local council and Dept of Environment and Health for over 20 years at work and now I'm doing it to set up my own place. The trick is use honey not vinegar :) , they can be surprisingly flexible if you just play the game right. Most laws and regulations are open to interpretation all you have to do is get them to interpret them in your favour. 8)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

BBQ&BEERS wrote:I've dealt with local council and Dept of Environment and Health for over 20 years at work and now I'm doing it to set up my own place. The trick is use honey not vinegar :) , they can be surprisingly flexible if you just play the game right. Most laws and regulations are open to interpretation all you have to do is get them to interpret them in your favour. 8)
Never a true look at it.
I inspect fire stuff and when companys do stuff without first consulting, The book can be thrown :roll:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
the dane

Post by the dane »

Wow i can recall the old corner Fish & Chip shop, with the yellow roof from all the fat and steam going up! and you could allways tell when they changed the cooking oil, because the chips did not taste like fish! and then they used to wrap the chips in news paper!!! wow!! they were the days! & Streets drumsticks were .80c each :shock:
& cans of Pepsi had 2 holes in the top :roll: