PHA pellets

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Commander Cody

PHA pellets

Post by Commander Cody »

i went and did it.....yep, that's right.....i tripped.....down to woodburn and bought 25bags of their pellets.

i really missed using my TRAEGER, and i could not believe that i was starting to diss pellet BBQs.

i had a talk with Lyn about the fear of purity....., and she has told me they are getting it checked out. they are true people and don't want to hurt anyone with their product, however, i think the small percentage of pine that is used to help bind them.....

....................well i am just gunna GO FOR IT.

why..??.. 'cause they are local and an importer does not have any pull with them. and i think they will do a bonza job as well.

15 kg bag for a lot under what you pay for the other stuff. and that includes the TRAEGER pellets. hope they start using QLD nut shells soon, 'cause there are heaps of them down that way.

and.....and..... i saw my 1st jacaranda tree in 4 years. damn.......almost made me wish i was a coastie again. still have not seen a traffic light in 5 years but.

going to use them today, smoking up a little yardy, and some brats as well as italian.

let y'all know how it goes.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: PHA pellets

Post by Davo »

Yeah Kev.miss my pellet pooper as well. :roll:
I hope they gave u a good discount for a bulk buy.

Cheers
Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I figured we had lost you! Welcome back to the DarkSide...If pellet units take off like I think they are going to in your county, I think the growth is going to be much faster then it was here in the States...I think in 2 years you will find pellet prices in line with your heatbeds.

Commander Cody wrote:i really missed using my TRAEGER, and i could not believe that i was starting to diss pellet BBQs.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah our Heatbeads aren't getting exactly cheap either Bentley....now approaching $9.00 for a 4 kilo bag at the supermarket ..that's about 9 pounds so a buck per pound of charcoal heatbeads. Still cheaper than pellets at the moment but catching up. :(

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

'K.

have put the PHA pellets in the TRAEGER, i had about half a hopper full of onion pellets left, so i mixed them in, sorry this time will not be a true read of the PHA pellets.

they appear darker than the TRAEGER ones and a little bit longer. the darkness tells me there is not much pine binder in them at all.
so.........ol' Smokey if was you me old.........GO FOR IT.

have put the yardy, brats and italians in.......@ 200f. 'P'4' smoke setting .

will be leaving the bangers in for 2.05 hrs, and the yardy probably 4>>>>5 hours, 'cause iy is a small birdie.

seems to be smoking up quite nicley, no nasty pine smell or anything that says.............."get the stuff out now". so i am going to ride this out.

bloody good to spark up the TRAEGER again, i was considering taking it to the dump, due to not having easy and cheap access to pellets.

now thanks to PHA...............i have one of my favourite toys back to play with. thank-you

kevin
smoking jim

Post by smoking jim »

Kev, I have been using premium wood pellets[for use in pellet heaters and pellet bbq's] in the traeger for a couple of months now and find them very good, the only thing I find they don't produce as much heat as the imported ones, but for the price and only 1 hour to to pick up you cant go wrong .
jim.
Bradley BTDS108CE-6.Bradley Propane Smoker.Kamado Royal.Webber 1982 Kettle.Anuka.Home Build Pellet Pooper,Bob Grillson 2014 Premium with WiFi App.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

So Kev, how much did the 15kg bag set you back? I'd also be interested in any change in burn time. Would the pine make them less efficient ?
Smokey

Re:

Post by Smokey »

Gumb wrote:So Kev, how much did the 15kg bag set you back? I'd also be interested in any change in burn time. Would the pine make them less efficient ?
As far as I know they are $15 per 15kg bag @ galores.
I also believe (but not tested) that they take longer to heat the pit up. But that is taken from one users experiance.
and seems now Jim has confirmed it.(but mixed them)
At the price, Im thinking they would be good fodder for high temp grilling or baking.
those temps burn very clean with very little smoke so Im hoping they will be a cheap option.
I think Id still use the yanky stuff for low and slows as they contain the right woods for such.
Kev, PM me how much you bought them so I can calculate getting them from galore or making the 3 round trip drive. Thanks
Last edited by Smokey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

hey Mick,

apparently you do not exist. tried to PM you.

no secret on the price. $13.35 per bag,

kevin
titch

Post by titch »

Google green stallion pellets, they might be close as well.
Cheers
Titch
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

forgot photos sorry

had more but the upload failed. but that should tease y'all a little

kevin
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Kev, looks to me like a lot of broken pellets in that batch (re: photo) did you find this to be?

What about dust? did it seem to have a high percentage of dust when you loaded the traeger's hopper?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Davo,

the broken pellets were the TRAEGER ones i mixed with the PHA ones. the dust was also TRAEGER.

the darker ones are the PHA pellets.

they are a good size and very little dust in the bags.

thanks for noticing.

kevin
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Actually, the darker ones look good Kev!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Jester

Post by Jester »

Interesting label... "100% Organic Biomass"

Why aren't they saying wood?
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!