Kanga

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Chalky

Re: Kanga

Post by Chalky »

dieseltojo wrote:Old info probably, but like any thing else that's wild, cook it well. The reason it got skittled may be it was the slowest in the mob. :lol:
http://www.awpc.org.au/kangaroos/book_f ... seases.htm
That article is totally biarsed, it was written by a very anti aussie fauna eating bunch of do goodin' right and left wing neo bird brain twits Image
Them do goodin' twits even said do not buy any adidas brand shoes because the adidas company use roo skin in their footy boots Image

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
cowtipper

Post by cowtipper »

Any meat can have all of that, you just need to make sure its cooked. This bloke sounds like a bit of a tree hugger.
King Erik XIV

Post by King Erik XIV »

Chris what is the purpose of the pig skin?
ImageImage
Eric XIV
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

King Erik XIV wrote:Chris what is the purpose of the pig skin?
To protect the meat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

titch wrote:
shayneh2006 wrote:
cowtipper wrote: Has anyone ever done that, Q'd roadkill? If so, how?

You cant beat road kill if it is fresh and not too hit up :lol: :lol: .

I remember one time myself and a few mates were heading out to the Piliga State forest chasing Pigs with dogs. Traveling at night to get there, we hit a good size Hare as it came flying across the road. Luckily, it entered the 4wd,s path smack bang under the raidiator and dodging the wheels path. We stopped, inspected the kill and threw it onboard. When we arrived a few hours later, i dressed and cleaned that hare while the others prepared the fire,,,, then it was slowly cooked in a camp oven buried in the hot coals.

I must say that it was the first time (and unfortunatly the last) that i have ever eaten Hare and it was soooo good. Unlike Rabbit which is white meat, Hare is red just like Beef :D :D .

Shayne

Don't you hack a bit when the Hare gets stuck in your throat? :shock:

Cheers.
Titch
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: Titch, youes a sick little puppy 'ey............but i likes ya........ :lol: :lol:

only you.....my friend , could quick draw on that one, well done 8) 8)

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

King Erik XIV wrote:Chris what is the purpose of the pig skin?
As the Captain said, it protects the underside, the top will dry a little, every 45 min I turn the roo over and let the dry side rehydrate sitting on the pork fat.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
King Erik XIV

Post by King Erik XIV »

So why dont you wrap it, or at least place another piece on top?
ImageImage
Eric XIV
magste

Post by magste »

Would foil & baking tray do if no pigskin avail? Or do you need something that keeps moisture?
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Both of those would work, I like the outside to grab a little smokey flavour from the charcoal.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Boozerock

Post by Boozerock »

I was up far north Qld few weeks ago for Solar Eclipse. Had my wallet stole and was hitch hiking. No food and no money. Guy who's car I was in had just driven off road spun around 6 times into a tree. We managed to get the car back on the road but. A few Km's up the road I spotted a Roo standing side of the curb. I suggested we swerve and hit it, then thought "no, that's not fair". About 500m later I spotted a small wallaby dead on the road. I told him to stop the car. It looked fresh so we took it.

We tied it by it's legs to a branch, skinned it and gutted it and removed its head, tail and forearms.
I built a small fire and grilled the Roo whole (along with its heart, liver and kidneys). Ate some of the bbq meat once i was sure enough it was safe. Then when it started to really cook, broke it appart and transferred it to a large saucepan with potatoes, fresh water from the lake we were camped by, and some spices. The stew was really not bad. Tated like survival. Bit gamey. Fun but.

Dried the Pelt out over the flames and traded it with some hippies at the next town I was stranded at for some food and great company.
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

Geez Boozerock, sounds like you had an adventure all right!
Image Image Image
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I so miss the life outside the Oz cities....

One of my brothers lives down on the Eyre peninsula, road kill 'roo is a common meal down there, just fresh kill and leave the bruises alone, plus any suspect organs.

They never seem to get sick, been doing it for decades.

I really fail to understand the tree huggers, I don't think any of them have ever been outback and seen just how many 'roos there are, or the damage they cause for that matter, not so much to cars, you're a bit nuts these days if you go off the beaten track without a good 'roo bar, you are going to hit one, just a matter of time.

I can accept the logic of the farmers encroaching on the land, but honestly 'roos are not and probably never will be endangered. The sheer size of the herds when you get out bush is just incredible.

Sort of makes you wonder just who is profiting off the meat, from being pet-food it's now right up there price per kilo.

I've never paid for it, cockie mate has to shoot a few every month, they need chasing off or they kick his sheds down, serious.

I'm not even Australian born but I don't really see them as cuddly creatures, not after getting near on bushwacked by a big grey out near Charleville.

They can be bloody dangerous.

It's a balance but many farmers have told me in the past that they have given up counting them on their properties, huge numbers.

(I used to fly for a pastoral company when I first arrived, rapid introduction to the real Australia :) )

Some great uniquely Australian stories here, I can add one.

Used to live near Jandakot airport, suburbia really, but one day I was coming home and a 'roo was right by my fence, only had a neighbour on one side.

One of my cats (no they do not attack wild life, in fact I only have one now, s/he (long story) is a great mouser) was looking around the fence and it was easy to read the feline mind "F@#K, that's the biggest mouse I've ever seen !!! :)

Dunno where it came from but they seem to have adapted to the existence of Perth rather well, you can see them most days on Royal Perth golf club in South Perth and always at the Vines. On the Mitchell Freeway before my turn off there is a warning sign and they regularly cross Hodges drive, our entry to Joondalup (maybe I should get a 'roo bar :) )

Cheers
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Did some kangaroo fillets the other day for beer snacks at the work Melbourne cup lunch and they turned out pretty good even if I do say so myself.

Picked up the fillets at the local Woolies and brined them for about 4 hours in a basic salt, brown sugar and water brine with two teaspoons of herbies "Aussie bush herbs" blend (keeping with the australiana theme).

Smoked indirect, sitting on a foil tray, on the kettle at about 85 - 90C with a banksia nut until the internal temp was at rare for a steak on the probe.

Rested wrapped in foil and then in the fridge. Sliced thinly and ready to serve.

Had plenty of heat left in the kettle when done so I smoked a couple of Chorizo for the plate as well and served it with some Mullet I smoked in the mini kettle while the others were going.

Served to a room full of colleagues who all tried it before asking what species of animal it was and then scoffed the lot.

Not the best photo in the world.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
henry

Post by henry »

G'day all, pretty keen to try out Chris' method.

I was watching this on youtube about cooking Kangaroo. I was thinking about using principles from it using the tools I have. A gas grill and my Kamado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvyWdQuFrs

I was wondering what your thoughts are,

*Could I get the gas grill up as high as the pan
*What temp you think would possibly be inside that oven
*Would there be much smoke flavour if I was going to smoke it on the Kamado for the amount of time he roasts it for.

Pretty keen to suss out for those times where I don't have a the time to undertake Chris' method.
Against GST on fresh produce which will increase your cost of Bbqing? Love to hear your thoughts here below.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=13615