Lemon Dijon BBQ’d Rabbit over Charcoal

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
shayneh2006

Lemon Dijon BBQ’d Rabbit over Charcoal

Post by shayneh2006 »

Hey all.

I decided to cook up another rabbit again last night using my favourite recipe but just a bit different. Unlike before over gas (see below link) , this time over Charcoal.

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =36&t=4131

A 900gr farmed rabbit was picked up for $18.99/kg on Friday. Also i portioned the rabbit differently just for a change. Marinated time was around 6 hrs.

I decided to use the Go-Anywhere (i am really liking this BBQ) to cook this rather than cranking up the Kettle and i am glad i did. I used a mixture of used/unused Charcoal/HeatBeads. As it turns out,, i am really starting to get the hang of temps and how much fuel to use/ when to restrict air to dampen the heat just by instinct.

Anyhow :roll: :roll: , once the BBQ was ready, i put the hind section on first and gave it 5 or so mins then added the rest. The pieces were turned a few times ansd like before basting started in the final 5 mins of cooking.

The flavour of the grilling over Charcoal was 200% :shock: better than over Gas. That said, this will now be my prefered way of cooking my Rabbit.

The good thing about this BBQ was that i got to eat the whole thing myself 8) 8) as the missus and kids prefered something else. Oh dont worry, they were reminded plenty of times about what they were missing out on :lol: :lol:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
urbangriller

Re: Lemon Dijon BBQ’d Rabbit over Charcoal

Post by urbangriller »

Top work Shayne!

The Go Anywhere is a classic!.....I love mine!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Very nice looking rabbit and a great job Shayne, you're a lucky fella as everyone in my house love rabbit
my 87yr old father in law sticks his fork at you for more, next time I'll buy 2

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Chalky wrote:next time I'll buy 2
Hey Chalky. If you come down to Penrith, go into the plaza and Harris Farm are selling them at $19.00/kg fresh (well they were on Friday). Its very cheap from their usual price. I actually rang them a while ago (after speaking to the Suppliers rep for distibuting retailers) and i am sure that their usual price is around $25.00/kg.

The one i cooked last night was to die for BTW.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Thanks for that Shayne, I'll be down there about 8.30am tomorrow with my fingers crossed :D

Chalky

Update...they get New Zealand Whites from Border Range at Kyogle but didn't have any on sale
ImageImage
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Chalky wrote:I'll be down there about 8.30am tomorrow with my fingers crossed
Soooo Chalky, did you get some?????

I was in there today (19th) and got their last fresh one. The main butcher dude informed me that they will be getting more in tomorrow and BTW, $18.99/kg is now their standard price :shock:

Shayne

kingsthorpedavid

Post by kingsthorpedavid »

What isthe comparisons (upsides v downsides) between the Go-Anywhere and the Smokey Joe.
As was thinking of getting one of them. Am attractd to the SJ.
Comments appreciated.
Even if my missus wont eat undergound mutton either, or Squab :roll:
Nice method Shayne.

David
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

shayneh2006 wrote:
Soooo Chalky, did you get some?????

I was in there today (19th) and got their last fresh one. The main butcher dude informed me that they will be getting more in tomorrow and BTW, $18.99/kg is now their standard price :shock:

Shayne
Thanks Shayne
ImageImage
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

kingsthorpedavid wrote:Even if my missus wont eat undergound mutton
Pal of mine :lol: ,,, these farmed Rabbits are far from being undergound mutton. The price alone dictates the quality. Being a hunter as well, i have eaten plenty of wild models throughout my days but in comparison,,, these farmed ones are to die for.
kingsthorpedavid wrote:(upsides v downsides) between the Go-Anywhere and the Smokey Joe
I cant help you there fella as i have only owned the Go-Anywhere. On my last camping trip however, i roasted a small bird (Chicken) in it and found i have to flatten it (crush the carcase) in order for the lid to sit over with clearance. Qiute possibly, the SJ has more clearance.

Shayne

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

kingsthorpedavid wrote: my missus wont eat undergound mutton either, or Squab :roll:
David
Yourrr! a lucky bugger :wink: I picked up some this arvo with the boss & her dad in tow... Both licking their chops :oops:
pizza tonite & cooking bunny tomorrow :D Yumm!

Chalky
ImageImage