Goat Shoulder

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Grillnoob

Goat Shoulder

Post by Grillnoob »

gday All
Am scoring a goat shoulder/neck and a pork shoulder for Easter Sunday lunch. Pork cooking is sorted but I need any advise on the goat.
Will be going low and slow at 110c for the pork.
I am thinking about 8 hours (like lamb) after marinating in Mountain Micks recipe overnight.
Anyone got any other ideas?
Gumb

Re: Goat Shoulder

Post by Gumb »

Pork can take longer than 8 hours. I've had it go 12-14. But if you texas crutch it, 8 hours would be ample. best advice is to plan to finish to early, way early. it can sit in the esky for hours. Don't try and time it to be done at meal time or you will be in trouble if it isn't done.

I'm not sure about goat as lo and slow but my guess is that it's too lean. I've had it spit roasted and it was really good, maybe that's the safer route. (or slow/medium just roasted indirect at 150c if you don't have a spit)
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Thanks Gumb
Yeah the pork shoulder will be going on the night before for a long cook 12+hrs plus rest time.
The goat will be going in with the pork early in the morning,have a primo xl so i have plenty of cook space.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Grillnoob wrote:gday All
Am scoring a goat shoulder/neck and a pork shoulder for Easter Sunday lunch. Pork cooking is sorted but I need any advise on the goat.
Will be going low and slow at 110c for the pork.
I am thinking about 8 hours (like lamb) after marinating in Mountain Micks recipe overnight.
Anyone got any other ideas?
Goat shoulder is the best cut for it, but my advice is to smoke it at 200-220 and then cover it, for example foil over it with liquid in the base of the pan.
There are just too many other ways that I think are more delicious so I never get goat shoulder onto the Barbie at my place. It will work but it is not forgiving, it WILL dry out if you don't do it right.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
mrjack

Post by mrjack »

Grillnoob - have you decided on a plan of attack for the goat portion of your cook?

I'm faced with a similar situation.. Tonight I'm planning to cook up to half a kid in the GMG pellet grill.

I've seen a few posts here suggesting that you can cook goat the same as lamb. How do you take into account the relative leanness of the goat?
I'd like to get a bit of smoke into it at first, but figure I'll need a bit of foiling / liquid in tray to stop it from drying out.

I am thinking of cooking it at 105C for around 7 hours (the period I plan to sleep tonight)...
The plan is to put the meat in a large foil tray, so the juices remain..

Can I leave this thing unattended?
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Was planning on doing something similar mate
Was thinking about collecting the juices and injecting some back into the shoulder as well.