Wild Duck with Bourbon & Marmalade Glaze

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Rob44

Wild Duck with Bourbon & Marmalade Glaze

Post by Rob44 »

Hi all,
One of my passions is cooking game meats and one of my favourite recipes is this wild duck. Based on the "Orange Glazed Roast Duck" recipe in The Complete Australian Barbecue Kettle Cookbook. As most of you would be aware, game meat is wonderfully flavorsome, but frequently has little fat and can tend to dryness. This recipe helps with moisture in two ways: the oranges in the cavity stream, adding moisture to the meat. While the glaze seals the meat, keeping the moisture in.

Recipe:
2 ducks (I use any species except Mountain Duck or Woodies)
¼ cup salt (for brine)
2 oranges
2 onions
1 cup marmalade
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ sherry/brandy/bourbon (I use cooking sherry because of the $$)
Course black pepper and salt to taste.

Place birds in a large dish. Add just enough water to cover birds. Add salt, leave to soak in the fridge overnight. (Recently I haven’t bothered with step, but bruised/bloody, the brine will draw help draw out the blood).
Remove birds. Rinse and dry.
Dust the cavity with salt and pepper to taste (I use quite a bit of pepper and little/no salt). Quarter the orange and the onion and stuff into the cavity of each bird,
Put the birds into the Weber and cook (indirect) with medium heat for 45 -70 minutes, depending on the size of the birds. Teal I generally do for approx 50 min and Blackies for 60min.
Combine marmalade, brown sugar and sherry in a small pot, heat and stir until sugar is dissolved and a thick, sauce like consistency is achieved.
Apply marmalade glaze liberally to birds every 5-10minutes during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Ducks cooked this way are moist and flavoursome. Enjoy with a robust red wine. Ducking lovely!!
shayneh2006

Re: Wild Duck with Bourbon & Marmalade Glaze

Post by shayneh2006 »

Nice work Rob.

Been a few years since I have eaten wild, almost forgot what it was like.

Yours looks fab.

Would have been nice to see a pic of the breast meat once carved, but oh well, maybe next time :P

I am a pretty big fan of Duck, and have been doing some interesting cooks with it recently.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Rob44

Post by Rob44 »

Thanks Shayne,
Appreciate the kind words and the welcome you've given me to this group :D
I know better know, pics and more pics required of every step, I'll be onto it in future.

I have been reading some of your posts mate, you've cooked up some amazing meals, with duck and a variety of other meats. Great stuff!!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Rob44 wrote:I know better know, pics and more pics required of every step, I'll be onto it in future
:lol: :lol: :lol: ,

Ya don't have to go to the extremes I go to :lol:

I just get a bit snap happy is all :oops:

My bbq skills (or cooking for that matter) have improved 10 fold since I found this site.

Being mentored by the experts here has brought my skills to maturity :D

It will be great seeing what you can do Rob, and if ever ya need hand, just sing out :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
titch

Post by titch »

Bourbon? would that be sweet?
I,m working on an orange and Whisky one
Cheers
Titch
Rob44

Post by Rob44 »

titch wrote:Bourbon? would that be sweet?
I,m working on an orange and Whisky one
Truth be told Titch, I use cooking sherry (dry sherry) rather than bourbon because of the $$ and the fact that I prefer to drink the bourbon rather than use it in the glaze. The glaze is sweet, but that's because of the brown sugar in there.
titch

Post by titch »

Ta mate.
:wink:
Cheers
Titch