Pizza Base Recipes

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
mymonaro

Re: Pizza Base Recipes

Post by mymonaro »

BBQ&BEERS wrote:
Nini8r wrote:I recently found a packet mix from woolies the brand is Laucke pizza & focaccia it make 4 large pizza bases and I think its great.
My 2 cents
That base mix is so good my kids will no longer eat takaway pizza. I highly recomend keeping a packet in the pantry.
I used the Lauke Pizza and Focaccia mix for the first time this afternoon/evening.

I followed the recipe on the packet, except I used the entire contents of the packet to make three pizzas (the instructions state the contents makes four pizzas).

As my family and I like thick base pizzas, I was impressed with the Lauke product. I will use it again.

I made a chicken pizza, a ham & pineapple pizza and a supreme pizza.

I baked the pizzas in my Weber Q320 Family bbq, on a teflon sheet, on the Weber pizza stone, which was on the Weber trivet, with aluminium foil underneath it. However, today I raised the trivet by placing small "tuna" tins underneath it, in order to get the pizza up higher, in to the hotter part of the lid. This raised the trivet by 4cm. I had read about this technique at this forum.

Here are some photos:

dales133

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by dales133 »

Nice results bud looks like you found the hot zone
Shame they were thick crust or I'd be breaking in for leftovers lol
Seriously tho nice job
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

dales133 wrote:Nice results bud looks like you found the hot zone
Shame they were thick crust or I'd be breaking in for leftovers lol
Seriously tho nice job
Well, why did you not say, then I would have baked a thinner crust pizza just for you, dales133! *L*

There is always next time.

Interestingly by raising the trivet I think it also cooked better "underneath" the pizza, as the hot air is then flowing more freely around this area. Well, that is my theory, anyway.

And guess what leftovers we have for lunch today?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Use fresh yeast instead of dry yeast.
butch

Post by butch »

Has anyone tried freezing their leftover pizza? How did it turn out? Thinking I would like to freeze some to take up to work, instead of eating bloody camp food all week!
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

butch wrote:Has anyone tried freezing their leftover pizza? How did it turn out? Thinking I would like to freeze some to take up to work, instead of eating bloody camp food all week!
Yes, I freeze pizza and then warm it up using baking paper, wrapped around the pizza pieces and then on my Breville Sandwich press.

Turns out great.

http://www.breville.com.au/the-toast-me ... press.html
butch

Post by butch »

Nice, we got a sandwich press in the cribhut so will have to give it a crack this week.

Thanks
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

its gotta be the best way to reheat pizza!
its goes all nice and crispy
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Another great way to reheat pizza is to throw it back in the Weber Q.
Nice and crispy as well.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

G'day mymonaro,

Just wondering, how are the bottoms of your dough bases when using the teflon sheet?

The reason I ask is I've always put a freshly made pizza base either on a baking sheet to firm up a bit then by removing sheet so that the stone can absorb the excess moisture from the dough and for which it is intended.
I don't know if the teflon sheet could allow for any absorbtion of moisture but actually cause it to stew a bit.

In my Weber Qs and my Performer kettle, I use a square weber veggie basket and place upside down so the bottom of the basket forms a good sitting base for the stone and because it's about 3 or so inches high in the walls, places the stone right up in the lid area where i want it. Doesn't get used for veggies much anymore :mrgreen:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Davo wrote:G'day mymonaro,

Just wondering, how are the bottoms of your dough bases when using the teflon sheet?

Cheers

Davo
Hello Davo,

I do not know why, but the bases cook perfectly on the teflon sheet. I use the "thick" teflon sheets which are recommended for the a grill, bought from an ebay retailer. However, one must adjust the cooking time slightly to take in to account the "thickness" of the toppings. On two occasions there was a very small amount of "topping liquid" on the teflon sheet, around the edge of the pizza base. However, this did not affect the bases at all. I assumed it had run off the pizza, on to the teflon sheet.

After initially reading about using the teflon sheet to cook pizzas on, I was wondering how it would work to achieve a crispy base, as there is not direct contact with the stone. (Although as we know the Weber stone comes with a metal pan and I have wondered why this is used, as the pizza base is not in contact with the stone, either.)

Last night we had another pizza cook-up. A family friend came over late afternoon and we got everything ready for the cook-up.

I used the same procedure as in my last cook-up, which I wrote about at this thread, including raising the trivet up on tins. However, this time I made 4 pizzas from the entire package of Lauke Pizza mix, as opposed to the three, last time. I consider the thickness of the bases, making four pizzas was an improvement, than only making three bases.

My family friend and family thought the bases were cooked to perfection. Our friend wants to invite himself around again for another pizza night. *LOL* He was amazed at the high quality of the pizzas.

To prove that last time was not a "fluke", I have attached photos of last night's cook-up.

Super Supreme Pizza

Ham & Pineapple Pizza

Cheese Pizza

BBQ Sauce Meat Lovers Pizza (it looks slightly burnt on the left hand side, but in fact it was not burnt, must be the photo playing tricks)

Regards,
Geoff
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

I think you might find that even though a teflon sheet is being used, the stone still wicks moisture from the moist oven air, improving the pizza overall.
Might be worth sliding the teflon sheet out once the pizza base has firmed up.
I can only see this as improving even more, your successes.
Would love to hear your views if you try this.
Thanks.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Meat and eat wrote:I think you might find that even though a teflon sheet is being used, the stone still wicks moisture from the moist oven air, improving the pizza overall.
Might be worth sliding the teflon sheet out once the pizza base has firmed up.
I can only see this as improving even more, your successes.
Would love to hear your views if you try this.
Thanks.

Cheers

Meat and eat
Thanks Meat and eat for your comments.

A great idea, to remove the teflon sheet after a short time on the stone. I had not thought of doing this. Will try it for the next "cook-up" and post the results.

There were only a few left over pizza slices from Saturday's "cook-up", which I took to work for today's lunch. Once again, they tasted great.

Someone at work stated that they were surprised that I even had left overs. My reply; if we all had not hit the FULL button, I am sure we would have been able not to leave any slices uneaten.
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Mymonaro,

Nice pizza mate very nice,

I order a Super Supreme Pizza, Cheese Pizza & a BBQ Sauce Meat Lovers Pizza for me & the lad. and a Ham & Pineapple Pizza for the wife, mate what pick them up in half an hour ok. great , oh make 2 garlic bread as well. MM :P :P :P

mymonaro wrote:
Davo wrote:G'day mymonaro,

Cheers

Davo
Hello Davo,

I do not know why, but the bases cook perfectly on the teflon sheet. I use the "thick" teflon sheets which are recommended for the a grill, bought from an ebay retailer. However, one must adjust the cooking time slightly to take in to account the "thickness" of the toppings. On two occasions there was a very small amount of "topping liquid" on the teflon sheet, around the edge of the pizza base. However, this did not affect the bases at all. I assumed it had run off the pizza, on to the teflon sheet.

After initially reading about using the teflon sheet to cook pizzas on, I was wondering how it would work to achieve a crispy base, as there is not direct contact with the stone. (Although as we know the Weber stone comes with a metal pan and I have wondered why this is used, as the pizza base is not in contact with the stone, either.)

Last night we had another pizza cook-up. A family friend came over late afternoon and we got everything ready for the cook-up.

I used the same procedure as in my last cook-up, which I wrote about at this thread, including raising the trivet up on tins. However, this time I made 4 pizzas from the entire package of Lauke Pizza mix, as opposed to the three, last time. I consider the thickness of the bases, making four pizzas was an improvement, than only making three bases.

My family friend and family thought the bases were cooked to perfection. Our friend wants to invite himself around again for another pizza night. *LOL* He was amazed at the high quality of the pizzas.

To prove that last time was not a "fluke", I have attached photos of last night's cook-up.

Super Supreme Pizza

Ham & Pineapple Pizza

Cheese Pizza

BBQ Sauce Meat Lovers Pizza (it looks slightly burnt on the left hand side, but in fact it was not burnt, must be the photo playing tricks)

Regards,
Geoff
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Mountain Mick wrote:Hi Mymonaro,

Nice pizza mate very nice,

I order a Super Supreme Pizza, Cheese Pizza & a BBQ Sauce Meat Lovers Pizza for me & the lad. and a Ham & Pineapple Pizza for the wife, mate what pick them up in half an hour ok. great , oh make 2 garlic bread as well. MM :P :P :P
No problems Mountain Mick. Your order is placed.

Only hiccup is I can only cook one pizza at a time. Give me a little more than half an hour please. As a result I will throw in a free bottle of soft drink with that order. *LOL*