Pizza Base Recipes

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
mymonaro

Re: Pizza Base Recipes

Post by mymonaro »

Meat and eat wrote:I think you might find that even though a teflon sheet is being used, the stone still wicks moisture from the moist oven air, improving the pizza overall.
Might be worth sliding the teflon sheet out once the pizza base has firmed up.
I can only see this as improving even more, your successes.
Would love to hear your views if you try this.
Thanks.

Cheers

Meat and eat
Well, here I am back with the next pizza cook-up. Looking at the date of my last posting it has been two months since the last pizza night. Our family friend came over again, in order to help me prepare the pizzas. The pizza night was his request. Once again, a great evening, with four pizzas cooked. They were all YUMMY!

Tonight we made a cheese pizza, a ham & pineapple pizza and two supreme pizzas. The supreme pizzas this time had dobs on buffalo cheese on the top. This was my son's girlfriend's suggestion. She purchased and brought the buffalo cheese along for the cook-up. Definitely added another flavour to the supreme pizza....very tasty.

Meat and Eat, tonight with the first of the supreme pizzas we slide the teflon sheet out from under the pizza three minutes before the end of the cooking time. A total cooking time of 23 minutes. The pizza base was slightly crisper than leaving the pizza on the teflon sheet for the entire cooking time.

The second supreme pizza we slid the teflon sheet out after the first three minutes and continued for another 20 minutes of cooking time, but with the pizza base directly on the stone. Wow, what a great base. Just crispy enough, but not too crispy and with a delicious flavour. This will be the way I will cook my pizzas in future.

Here are some pictures from tonight's cook-up.

Four pizzas ready to go on the Weber:

Cheese Pizza:

Ham & Pineapple; it looked too good to wait for the photo to be taken, I was not quick enough with the camera:

Imager

Supreme One:

Supreme Two:

How's this for a Supreme slice? Absolutely delicious!

mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

I was informed at 9:30am this morning by my wife that we were to take pizza for lunch today to our daughter-in-laws house. (my wife had only been informed 5 minutes earlier)

I said to my wife that if I had of been given more time I would have gone out and bought the ingredients for another batch of pizzas on the Weber. My wife said that would have been good. However, there was no time for this to happen.

I called in to the local Pizza Hut and bought three pizzas.

There was nothing wrong with the pizzas, they tasted okay. However, they were no where as tasty as my home Weber pizzas. Whatsmore, the amount of "toppings" were extremely light on.

Oh, give me a homemade Weber pizza any day! Perhaps I am a little partial.......
Dave-tas

Post by Dave-tas »

Old topic but seems to be the best place for an answer.

I have made 3 pizzas on the 220 now and they get better each time but.

what temp do most of you achieve when cooking pizza.

I am using the 220 with large weber pizza stone and tray, i have also raised the tray ove foil and skillet about 25mm. I find it hard to get above 200 c with the pizza set up. Would like it a bit more cooked on top.

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

I'm pretty new to the 220 but have had good results with the pizzas I've done so far, I'm getting a much higher temp than that though, more like 350C, might be something not quite right with your gas connections.

I've settled on using two pavers flat on the grill to lift the pizza up into the hot zone and putting either my pizza tray or stone on the foil and trivet. Works fine in fact I have to be a bit careful not to overcook.

I'll probably be doing another one in the next couple of days will pay closer attention to the temp for you.

Cheers
Gumb

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Gumb »

My 220q is the same. At pre heat, on full with a pizza stone in, it doesn't get much past 200c. It will creep up after while and maybe it goes over 200 when doing the second pizza but only marginally. It gets much higher doing a pre heat without the stone, say when doing steaks. Then it's more like 300.

We had pizza in it tonight and they were great. Not quite the same wood flavour we get in the kamado but good anyway. We'd been out all day so I didn't have the time or inclination to light the charcoal. The weber q is the perfect stand-by and at 200c it did the pizzas perfectly in about 15-20 minutes. I like a bit of cruch so I put them directly on the stone for a few minutes towards the end.

I don't know how chrisg gets his to 350c though, the gauge only goes to 320! :0
Nath

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Nath »

I tend to see this at our Weber Demos also, the 220's can't seem to get up past 200c with large pizza stone in. chrisg are you sure your looking at celcius (red numbers) as apposed to the black Fahrenheit numbers? The thermometer only goes up to 300c

Nath
Nath
Dave-tas

Post by Dave-tas »

Thats good im not the only one Gumb,

maybe its the size of the stone is to much for it, little stone is too small for us , maybe i need to look at making one thats a medium size.

will search forum for ideas as ive seen somewhere about making stones. If you have any links please point me in thier direction
Gumb

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Gumb »

I know that at the demo they said the baby q gets hotter, obviously a size vs burner thing. The 320 gets the extra burner to compensate so the 220 is in the middle. It's certainly the stone acting as a heat sink causing the lower temps but if it works, why worry? I'm not sure what the stone does anyway because they use the ss tray over the top and that seems to warp when it gets really hot.

If you want to try a different method, get a pizza tray with the holes in the bottom, put that on the trivet making sure there!s foil underneath to shield it and see how it goes. It will definitely get hotter in the oven without the stone being there. I use those pizza trays with holes in the kamado and they work well but we tried many different methods before settling on one we like. Maybe the 220q method needs to be fiddled with as well. Who's to say the weber booklet is the best way? It's a bit like everything we do in this forum....try stuff and share the results.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Oops yeah, blond moment ;)

I really should pay more attention to temps but I'm just more inclined to wait ten minutes on pre-heat then if the needle is stable in with the food.

I have to wonder what is going on though, the temp on my 220 is the same either with a tray or a stone when the pre-heat is done and I have those pavers in there as well, maybe it's just that my stone is very thin ?

The one thing I most definitely found is that you really do need the pizza to be well up into the oven to get the full heat, tried just one only on the trivet and it was just not hot enough finished it off in the inside oven and made note not to do that again.

Cheers
Dave-tas

Post by Dave-tas »

Did a little pre heat test on the 220 today and had the trivet on 30 mm blocks with large stone and no foil.

After 30mins 210c

After 40 mins 220c best yet for me.

After 50 mins a needle over 220c

So my conclusion is that i can get more pre heat without foil and wait a bit longer (40 mins), with the extra few degrees i think i will definitely shorten my cooking time down from 25/30 mins and give a better top to my pizza.

Now i can also try the tray with holes as we already have one which i used on the stone and didnt like but will now try without stone.

So many things to try out.
Gumb

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Gumb »

We've gone way off topic here and shouldn't be in the recipes section. Others having the same thoughts may benefit if we moved these last few posts......mods?

Anyway, it's Sunday bacon and eggs with the weber hot plate in the q and after only about 10 minutes, it was cranking along at 250c and still going. So it's definitely a heat sink issue with the stone. I think waiting 40 minutes just to get a few degrees is over the top. As I said at the start, it works fine doing pizzas at 200 so it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. At least I think we've established that it's not an individual problem with gas flow on one unit, it's the same for all 220s.
Nath

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Nath »

Just be careful without using foil as you may find the stone will be hotter than 220C, causing the pizza base to burn.

Nath
Nath
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

Yeah, my first pizza I clean forgot the foil and the base did catch a little.

Cheers
Gumb

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Gumb »

Busio90 wrote:Just be careful without using foil as you may find the stone will be hotter than 220C, causing the pizza base to burn.

Nath
Nath, what do think about using the ss tray? Am I right is taking it off the tray for the final few minutes directly on the stone to crisp the bottom a bit ?
Nath

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Nath »

At the weber demos, I use the tray, just because it's easy to on off the pizzas. Though I don't really understand the concept of it, as I would have thought the stone not only holds good heat but draws moisture out of the base making it crisp.
With a fresh base at home I usually slide it straight onto stone using baking paper, then after a couple of minutes slide it off baking paper onto stone.
Temp around 250c in q320.
Or around 300c in kamado.
Either the method above or I use holey tray ontop of stone

Nath
Nath